Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
bobhuckaby

I am going in today, should be at the north pass turnoff 12:30 to 1:00 if anybody wants to join up, driving big white Dodge pickup with shell
Bob from Tahoe
Shadyapex

Hi lubasf, me thinks the radio silence indicates that everybody's already in. I'm heading in tomorrow afternoon, see you there.
lubasf

Any updates on North Pass conditions? Traveling on Thursday (Thanksgiving day). Thank you
Tule

16 inches of snow wouldn't stop a "MAC" [wink]
Flipper

Just got off the phone with Major Tom. 1:15 pm Sunday the 24th. Report was made from the top of three mile grade. He and the 6 vehicle party have made it in the north pass. Current conditions are beautiful and clear. There is a foot to sixteen inchs of snow. They did not require chains! But high clearence is needed. There will be Thanksgiving at the springs!
Shadyapex

Just got back from checking out the junction of Death Valley Road and North Pass. Looks like about 4 inches of fresh, no tracks in yet.
Here's a link to a couple of photos.
http://stevenbaldwin.zenfolio.com/p1041015419

Major Tom

Update, Saturday, 2:00 p.m. Debbie Bereki and party turned around from the North Pass for now. Report is, it seems doable, with only six inches of fresh snow over the area that was plowed by the county road crew. They turned around because of a current white out, but reported the road seemed doable otherwise, and they may take another run at it tomorrow. I am packing now to leave on Sunday.
M&M

Deep snow no apparent tracks to follow . We are going to look at south pass
craig333

I came out Thursday. Full size rig with a pop up camper, 4wd but no lockers or skid plates. Willow creek was easy but not fun, not when the rear started to slide as I came up the slope. The graders were working but I saw no signs of the dozer (yet). Started snowing on the way out. Found the dozer still parked at the Eureka intersection.
[IMAG0231_zps1a8d6297]
When I left after looping around the park there was a new sign at the south pass sign warning of washouts. Was still snowing when left on Friday.
The turnoff to Trona was blocked with signs warning of flash floods.
Major Tom

Morning report, 11/23, 7 a.m.; Just spoke with Jeff, from the Inyo County Road Department. Eighteen inches of snow fell yesterday on the north pass. (Similar reports from the south pass). There are dozers and graders in the north pass. From the turn-off to Saline Valley to the top of Marble Canyon, the road has been plowed by the grader. From Marble Canyon to the top of Whipporwill Canyon, there are dozer tracks, where the D7 is now parked. IF the snow has NOT drifted, the path should be clear. (Currently, there appears to be no wind in Ridgecrest, or Big Pine). The crew will resume work on Tuesday morning. There is the possibility of another storm on Thanksgiving. The crew will resume work on the road the Monday after Thanksgiving, should such a storm occur. If you are going in, make sure you have 4WD, chains, and good clearance. It does not sound impossible,  but you should keep your game face on. If not snow, there will be mud. I am going for it. Good luck to all!

Major Tom

I just got a call from Fun Fun Debbi, Friday night, 5:45. She encounted a foot and a half of snow drifted on the south pass before turning around. She called from Keeler. Word from Bishop is that it started snowing about 9 this morning. More will be posted as I hear it.
SilverBob

I just hope that the snow hits while the grading equipment is in the valley!  At least they'll have to plow it to get out.
Major Tom

Lot of weather hitting locally. I have a call into the guys working on the North Pass for an update today. Stay tuned for the update, hopefully by days end when the crew is done working.
Salt Peter

We were there too Route 66. That weekend was perfect.
Route 66

Yes, I brought a teardrop into Saline Valley in late October, but I came through "South Pass."  Will wait for North Pass to be repaired before I try it with my trailer.  And yes "South Pass" was a bummer but doable towing it with my jeep wrangler.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!