Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 12     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
Sonoma1

Any update on North Pass? Hoping to come in 3/19. Also, any recommendations on where to leave a two wheel drive in Big Pine for a few days? We would be willing to pay, not that it's a nice car...

Thanks!
mlmorrison

Good update on N Pass conditions. Also, if you head that way there is the common "Road Closed" sign at the turn off from Hwy 168 out of Big Pine. The County road dept does that to try and keep tourists and their Corollas from getting stuck and worse. They also have the Death Valley Road posted as closed; rest are listed as open which includes Saline Valley Road...if that is accurate (might be because the "closed" for DV Road has not been there previously).
loominarie

I went in the North Pass, Wednesday, 3/1, mid day and used granny and first gear in 4L without chains, in a Tacoma. The road was one rut for each side of the vehicle; there was mud, running water, packed snow and ice. I bottomed out on some snow in the road's center, but never got stuck. There would have been trouble if I'd met another vehicle as there were NO turnouts. I made it into the springs in LESS than 3 1/2 hours from Bishop. A cyclist from Bishop made it in N. Pass in ten hours, but he thought he walked three miles in the mud. I went out the South Pass Saturday, March 4, and it was fine.
Terawanderer

A 2 wheel drive Tacoma came in from the North Pass Friday....When I asked them they replied  "we don't think we can make it out the  north due to snow and mud"...Like Fred said a deep double track that you can't get out of and filled with mud often.  The South Pass is a sure thing...no snow or mud as of yeaterday.
J&Maui

Any update on the pass recently? Looking to head in this coming weekend.
webboy52

20161025_395.JPG 
North Pass on October 25, 2016.  As can be seen in the photo, the road condition was perfect, and the weather was great.
20161025_388.JPG 
 If you've been to Saline Valley, you'll recognize this location, on the way to North Pass.  Such a lovely place at the 5500' elevation.  I had to stop, pull up a chair, pop the top on a beer, and admire the beauty of this breath-taking valley.

Hello Farmer Fred.  Thanks for the info about road conditions up North Pass.  I was planning a trip next month, but I think I'll wait until Easter week due to snow.  I have a very capable 4wd truck, complete with snow tires and chains, but I really don't want to encounter deep snow.  The great thing about snow over North Pass is that it will keep my ice chest, and my love of beer very happy!
[confused][smile]

Went out the north pass Saturday 3 pm.  Deep ruts / tracks in the snow say 18 inches of snow. Could not create new tracks , wheels forced to follow existing ones.  The problem is the tracks are full of mud , no snow in them / MUD. Slip and slide , poor traction in 4 wheel drive but I made it w/o chaining up.  My rig a full side p/u with a smaller cab over camper. Going in to the valley would be easier as the hill up going out is steep and contains snow drifts.  
Inkryption
I am the owner of the van that is currently stuck on the side of the road, North pass. I am not blocking through traffic. I will attempt to retrieve it tomorrow, (Sat. Feb 24). I heard there is chance for snow Sat night, so I'm trying to beat that. Any eyes-on info for road conditions would be awesome. Thanks guys.
Ryan
I wonder if it's doable with 10.5 inches of ground clearance, 4 x tire chains, and AT tires on my Ridgeline this week? Would like to come out that way rather than out and back the South.
efdfireman

I tried to in Mon on the north pass...turned around about 12.5 miles in...snow was deep and wet.Driving a stock Tahoe with snow tire...never chained up.
Snowman

There are tracks going through the snow. HOWEVER unless you have a high clearance 4WD vehicle, chains, a great set of all terrain tires, and experience on that road/in conditions similar WONT get thru.

I was moving along just okay in 4WD WITH chains and then my transmission ran out of fluid. I also had to get pulled a couple of times due to getting out of the tire tracks.

I had a 9 foot camper on the bed as well.

Hopefullythis helps [smile]
Snowman

Frank: I was the F350 that was blocking the road. The van is still out there. IDK whenit will be out of there. If you are headed in the van is located +/- 3.7 miles below the summit of North Canyon.

SalineOldTimer: Miller charged me $1500 but was a fair about it. Definitely one of the best!
Ryan
How are the snow conditions out there heading out from the North this week? How'd you get stuck?
paul belanger

About 3 years ago, Miller's rate for DV recovery was $285 hour. Portal to portal. Portal being Lone Pine. I thought it was fair. He doesn't mess around, gets to, gets it hooked up, gets on the road. They're good poeple. Definitely have the right equipment for the job.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!