Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 11     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
bobhuckaby

updated NWS forecast looks like almost a foot of new snow Friday through saturday
heroicbill

I didn't take many pictures, I didn't want to stop going up hill in the snow.
Here is the wash, I think it was second dip after the canyon.  The canyon, and then just before the pass, closer to the pavement.
It was 8am and had melted then re-frozen, so following those tracks was like the Wild Mouse ride at a theme park!

There were tracks from truck differentials dragging through the snow, so I'd advise no low-ground clearance vehicles.

Wish I was there for the Presidents day weekend festivities!  
20170214_081853-2.jpg  20170214_082915-2.jpg  20170214_083604-2.jpg 

Sierracu

Just came out of SV via North Pass after I heard about the Tacoma making it in last weekend. Still plenty snow in the narrow canyon south of the pass. I lost traction near the top of the pass in a steep and windy part, had to back down and give it few tries before making it thru. I sure did not want to put chains on in the fading light. I definitely don't recommend low clearance vehicles and would say going into the valley would be easier than climbing out of the canyon in snow and ice. Glad I went out this way as the washboards south of the dunes are terrible going in. Seen worst, but I only have so many teeth left that was not jarred out.
SilverBob

Excellent news, thanks! Now we have more options!

Can't wait for the pics.
heroicbill

Two guys came in on the 11th, (Ram and a Tacoma) and had a rough go, but they blazed a trail with no chains. I went Out today (14th) with no major stops. About 2 hours from springs to pavement. YMMV. 
The road was pretty decent and the tracks are deep but I was going uphill.
Be cautious at a dip at the bottom of Whippoorwill(?) canyon, there is a wash. And at Willow Creek(?) the culvert has completely filled with sand/mud and it's starting to cut out of the road.
If I were to do it again, I'd throw on my chains through the canyon and pass to eliminate the anxiety. I wouldn't hesitate to do it with a 4wd truck but not my subaru - but as always - carry chains.  Just home, so I'll try to get to pics later. 
FVP

I have a feeling someone will blaze trail sometime this week but I think everyone should operate under the assumption that south is the best bet. 
James Sel

Thing is the North pass hasn't had any reports of anyone making it through in about a month. Now we speculate that the coming storms might close it ....SMH
peneumbra

Depending on the strength and temperature of the plan-- ahem, predicted, storm, there may be issues with SR 190 as well as other Valley roads.
FVP

Yes.
James Sel

peneumbra....does this mean the North pass might become snowed in? [confused]
peneumbra

Parties going to the Springs for the P-Day weekend should be aware that a significant storm is planned - no, not planned, PREDICTED - beginning Friday and possibly lasting through Sunday. Things are quite mucky all over Death Valley N.P. and other roads may be closed depending on precipitation/snow depth.
Codes
Thanks, Sierra! I'll be following your trials and successes as you try south! Hope for the best and thanks for keeping us updated!!
Sierracu

Well, that was fun. Just tried to follow recent tracks up North Pass, got a late start. Made it into the Pinons and at around 11.5 miles from the pavement. Solid one foot of heavy snow with ice underneath. Chains didn't even give much traction and the transfer case was dragging thru pretty solid snow. Decided that it was not worth push it with my big rig and camper. South Pass it is tmrw as Steel Pass is not a option for my LWB truck with camper anymore unless I feel I can live with some damage underneath. Followed big tire tracks thru 1-1.5 feet of snow for a half a mile on foot after I got stuck and turned around, and looks like that rig had to turn around too from the drag marks in the snow. Just have to wait for warm weather to melt a bit more.
DVExile

Link to them reporting snow up past bottom of doors:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/another-spindle-failure-backcountry-dv.473931/page-36#post-14367263

Thread is long and hard to follow. Further info on South Pass earlier in the thread.
DVExile

Report was from TacomaWorld. Two members went in to recover another vehicle that broke a spindle on Steel Pass. For some reason the decided to try North Pass first! Ended up doing Steel and South after aborting North.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!