Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 9     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next
nsgoldberg

Bob, that's what I assumed. I'm planning on heading through the South Pass this weekend. I don't see an issue with it based on the photos and videos posted.

This forum is a great wealth of information, thanks to all!
SilverBob

Nsgoldberg, 

I would be very suspicious of that report for two reasons.  First, we already know that people are making it in and out the South, we even have video and photographic evidence.  Second, whenever anyone makes the first tracks in or out the North, the word spreads pretty quickly.  I haven't heard a peep out of anyone in the vicinity saying the North is open.

I guess it's possible that the dozer that opened the South continued through and pushed out the North, but it would be very unusual for us not to have heard about it by now.
JayOtheMountains

Based on the reports, SOUTH pass is accessible and north is NOT.

That ranger probably hasn't left their office in weeks. [rolleyes][rolleyes]
nsgoldberg

I called the ranger station yesterday and they said South Pass is closed, North Pass is open, and they recommended going to North Pass. I said that seems opposite of the usual... The ranger said yes, but South Pass has 3' of snow on it and is muddy.

Not sure if I spoke to the wrong ranger or what... I kinda thought the North Pass would be impassable.
SalineJim

My advice to anyone thinking about trying the North Pass....DON'T!!!  Go to south pass forum and look at pics.  If the south got what looks like 3 feet of snow the North always gets hit with about twice as much.
ADV_AS

Heading in on the 18th over the north pass - Kinda thinking it's not going to happen this year.
tonapah tom

did anybody get thru north pass yet??

phodges

Well we drove in this weekend via Devil's Gate-Steel Pass

Devil's Gate was the worst of it we barely made it back out.  If you drive Big Pine-Death Valley road that way make sure you have chains  and it is very slow going.  No snow in Eureka valley and the road south looks good, lots of people at the dunes and a fair amount of traffic on the Steel. 

I'll post a few pics on the Steel Pass thread.
BillyV

I wonder what it looks like in Whippoorwill Canyon?
ADV_AS

Wow - wonder if that rabbit made it?  What day is this picture taken?
Salt Peter

Thank you for sharing...looks impressive. Would love to see any pics of Eureka Valley with snow too.
Jeffherb

I exited through Steel Pass on 1-28. Just past the Eureka dunes, the snow started piling up pretty thick on the road. It was Icy and slow going.  There were no tracks heading out to the north pass. the snow was probably 10 inches deep with drifts much deeper.

IMG_0538.JPG  IMG_0541.JPG 

peter

Thanks!  Changed plans.
mlmorrison

We have snow to Owens Valley floor. Snow tapers off pretty good by the time you get to Lone Pine. I live in Bishop, and based on my experience I imagine Whipporwill Flats is pretty deep in snow; and the canyon down from there into the valley has to be deep. And it has been really cold (12 F this morning in Bishop); nothing melting.
Salt Peter

lol If South Pass is snowed in, North Pass is even more snowed in.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!