Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 9     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
James Sel

peneumbra....does this mean the North pass might become snowed in? [confused]
peneumbra

Parties going to the Springs for the P-Day weekend should be aware that a significant storm is planned - no, not planned, PREDICTED - beginning Friday and possibly lasting through Sunday. Things are quite mucky all over Death Valley N.P. and other roads may be closed depending on precipitation/snow depth.
Codes
Thanks, Sierra! I'll be following your trials and successes as you try south! Hope for the best and thanks for keeping us updated!!
Sierracu

Well, that was fun. Just tried to follow recent tracks up North Pass, got a late start. Made it into the Pinons and at around 11.5 miles from the pavement. Solid one foot of heavy snow with ice underneath. Chains didn't even give much traction and the transfer case was dragging thru pretty solid snow. Decided that it was not worth push it with my big rig and camper. South Pass it is tmrw as Steel Pass is not a option for my LWB truck with camper anymore unless I feel I can live with some damage underneath. Followed big tire tracks thru 1-1.5 feet of snow for a half a mile on foot after I got stuck and turned around, and looks like that rig had to turn around too from the drag marks in the snow. Just have to wait for warm weather to melt a bit more.
DVExile

Link to them reporting snow up past bottom of doors:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/another-spindle-failure-backcountry-dv.473931/page-36#post-14367263

Thread is long and hard to follow. Further info on South Pass earlier in the thread.
DVExile

Report was from TacomaWorld. Two members went in to recover another vehicle that broke a spindle on Steel Pass. For some reason the decided to try North Pass first! Ended up doing Steel and South after aborting North.
SalineJim

DVExile what forum did you get this info?
DVExile

From another forum two Tacoma's lifted with M/S tires attempted North Pass on Tuesday (2/7) with no success, they had to turn around having done some heavy plowing for part of it.  There have been a few warm days since then though.

They did South Pass and said it was a miserable mud-fest.  They also did Steel which was in standard condition.
bobhuckaby

notice in pic the road closed barricades we all drove aroung
bobhuckaby

I was worried about it, but my girl wants to go to the coast
here is pic coming out a few years ago rsz_1northpasssign.jpg 

bobhuckaby

actually nice part of only that much snow is it smooths out the washboard, though the road was very nice at thanksgiving
bobhuckaby

did lots more snow than that here in my Subaru
bob from tahoe
Sierracu

Pic is from just before the switch back down into the mining area. About five miles from the pavement. Carry full sets of chains and big shovel. Best go in with another truck, just in case and go slow. Very muddy.Saline2.jpg 
SilverBob

Thanks for the first-hand report!  That's better news than I had hoped for.  Maybe I won't have to go in via Steele Pass after all!
Sierracu

Did a recon and didn't find six feet of snow[rolleyes][rolleyes]. Not even six inches. Couple of vehicles went in or out last day or so. I only drove in five miles and it looks not so bad south of the mining area. Can't vouch for the narrows, or gully crossings, but I've seen more snow in the past and people have made it in. I will be trying to get in this weekend if the next coming storm is not too bad. SalineWaucoba.jpg 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!