Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
Sam D.

I'd like to add that the last 7 miles (Bat Rd.) has not been graded. You should be OK if you remove your propane tank. I got a mid size SUV and scraped my bottom on the Bat Rd. the last time I was there ( 1 mo ago). You might want to get out and stock rocks in bad spots.
dautremont

The north pass is recently partially graded, and should be fine with no rain or snow, for you van.  Go slow, expect washboard, and you should be fine.  "You get there faster if you go slow"!  If there is rain or snow then abort...
kiltym

Hi,

We are in a 2WD Sprinter Van conversion, called an Airstream Westfalia.

We are trying to sort out if we would be OK on the north road as it has been recently graded.

Our van is not "raised", and does have some items a bit lower then normal, like a propane tank.

Do people do this route in a standard 2WD car?  Just looking for worst case scenario for us.

If anyone has done the trip in a "normal" car, please let us know how the road was, and how long it took to drive to the springs.

If we are crazy to consider this in our vehicle, please tell us that too!

Thank you!
mdskier

After coming in South I left via North Pass Friday (3 days ago)
The North Pass was in excellent shape. Almost no washboard and road graders
were still there actively working.

Closed signs gone.  only one spot where extra care is needed. A light to medium washout
on the SV side just below the summit. May even be fixed soon.
crsellars

I am planning a trip in later this month. I will be driving a sprinter any update on north road conditions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sparky of SoCal

Going to hit the road up out of Swansea Saturday and deal with whatever amount of dusting is left up there. Then drop down Lee Flat and see what happens.
oski6754

We went in and out via the North Pass on 10/5 and 10/7 respectively.  The road is as good as I've ever seen it, top to bottom. 

The storm that passed through on 10/6 passed directly over the South end of the valley, so didn't affect the North Pass.

*10/6 storm did put the first dusting of snow of the season on the Inyo range
marbs

My partner and I just drove out of North Pass yesterday. The road is good, some minor washouts, there’s a “Road Closed” sign in the middle of the road just outside of Big Pine, but one can just drive around it. Best of luck, and have a great time!
mchef

We're going in on Sunday evening or Monday morning. I'd be grateful for any North Pass road updates from recent travelers.  Thank you!
DVExile

As a heads up I watched a significant storm dump rain into SV today from my vantage in the Cottonwoods. It appeared to get worse and exit via Steel Pass but it is really hard to judge where things are out there and the radar coverage really stinks too. Anyway, be aware conditions may have changed as of today.
Soakin' Stu

No problem. I'll make every effort to post here if I can't make it. If I get stuck, it's good to know someone is coming on Friday to rescue me! [crazy]

Stuart
oski6754

Stu. we're hoping to use the North Pass to get in on Friday am, so if you get turned around on Thursday, would love to see an update here . . . 

Sam D.

I'd keep am eye on the storm. The road might be washed out in places
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=vef&smap=1&textField1=36.817083333333&textField2=-117.76875#.W7JxiMtlAwC
Soakin' Stu

The official word from the Inyo County Road Department is that they cannot recommend taking the road when the "Road Closed" sign is up. Unofficially, I'm told that the road is passable for a 4wd high ground clearance with no major washouts. I'll be heading in on Thurs or Fri.
mlmorrison

Inyo Co has a "Road Closed" sign for Saline Valley Rd on the 168/DV Rd cutoff out of Big Pine, but they usually have that when the Saline Valley Rd is rough--they do it to keep tourist with Corollas out. Of course that does not mean the road isn't washed out somewhere; it is a stupid way for them to mark the road. Takes some calls and being on hold but you can track it down through the County road dept. 

(760) 878-0201 Independence
(760) 872-2707 Bishop
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution