Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 12      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
Dpsmedic

Hi All, planning a visit this weekend coming in from the north from Big Pine. In March when we came in we came over Steele Pass. This time coming down Saline Valley Road. I think that is what is being referred to as North Pass? (Please correct me if i am confused in naming). Wondering if anyone has an intel on road conditions? I think I read somewhere that the road had recently been graded to the springs? We will be visiting the Race Track and Tea Kettle via Lippencott. (Did this in March as well). No matter road conditions, will air down and go slow. Allowing plenty of travel time. Thank you in advance.
Salt Peter

Hopefully any newbie will be cautious with any routes in and out of the valley regardless of vehicle type and setup. Mlmorrison you must be talking about that lovely Airstream that got stuck in South Pass last January. That was a great example of poor planning and decision making.

I wouldn't say the north is the only road unless you have 4x4. On one of my first trips in/out I passed an old Crown Vic type sedan coming in on South Pass that had already negotiated the dips in Grapevine. I would never suggest such behavior though but some people are determined to get wherever with whatever.
mlmorrison

A caution on North road for any newbe, however: it is rocky and easy to cut P-metric tires; take 2 spares and such. Also can be difficult to climb back out (north) up to Whippoorwill Flats if you have a heavy 2-wheel drive vehicle (like with camper)--I provided chains and a "get you going" tow to a group a year ago with such a rig. Safe travels.
Thunder58

The north road is the only road if you do not have a 4x4. The South is brutal. The North has also been graded for part of the way so that helps as well. Just there last weekend and it was beautiful!!! 

Sam D.

Welcome.

Yes, Bat Road is where you turn from Saline Rd.

Please see this thread on this forum for the free and commercial maps etc:

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/map-9290453?pid=1300016997

janzo

Thanks Sam!

is Bat Rd the one that goes up to the Springs from Saline Valley road?

Also any reccs on a good backcountry road map of the area I can order online?

Sam D.

janzo, I suspect if the weather holds, by November, the North Pass is going to be graded all the way to the Bat Rd.
janzo

Thanks for the info BigDaddy!
BigDaddyJEH

Generally, the road conditions are better on the North Road.  The problem is that some sections are at a higher elevation then the South Road.  You should be ok in November, but it will get bad in December. 
janzo

Hey thinking of taking a trip to the Springs second weekend of November...any advice as to whether North Pass or South Pass would be better? No 4wd, one passenger van with decent clearance and one AWD Honda CRV. Coming from the Bay Area. I know to deflate tires, bring extra gas/supplies/spare tires, etc.

It seems from what I've researched that the Northern route is much shorter, but I've also heard its more mountainous and perhaps the roads are currently in worse condition? is this true?

I was considering going the southern route because last time we tried the northern route late in the day we got real lost at night and had to go back[wink] but my instincts are saying take the northern way as to maximize time at the springs...

Thanks for the advice folks!
Thunder58

North Pass in good condition. Upper part is being graded so much smoother. Last hour and a half still washboarded but driveable.
Terawanderer

North Pass in good condition.....came in on Saturday with no problems for any high clearance 4 X 4....
OpenTrackRacer

Yep!  Saw that today too.  Good news!
Driver

DVNP Facebook page says Big Pine - Death Valley road is now open.
OpenTrackRacer

The Park Service is reporting that Death Valley Road is closed due to a washout which blocks access to Saline Valley via North Pass.  Does anyone happen to know the actual condition of the road and where the damage is located?

Thanks!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!