Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Anonymous
2 weeks ago it was not a problem with a 4x4. I went through while it was snowing, and the snow level on the trail was between 1.5 and 2 feet; but it was totally fine. While Hunter mountain was more a snow and mud fest, North Pass was fine. And since then, the weather has been warmer; so absolutely no issue for any 4x4.
Flipper

Super Moderators
Current condition of the north pass is no snow on the roadway. There are patches of snow beside the road and muddy spots. Some ruts left in the roadway. Good tires are highly recommended.

Smiffy1892

Just out the north - fresh coating of snow. Couple of inches. 4wd and high clearance only imo!

Attached Images
jpeg 9A9066BE-403F-43CB-8AC2-3163C4060581.jpeg (647.90 KB, 39 views)
jpeg 31BF7322-B9A4-4F86-9A71-DC425FB5DCBE.jpeg (504.58 KB, 40 views)
jpeg C00DAE75-FE2C-45D7-BB04-244BF74D7E9A.jpeg (392.27 KB, 40 views)
jpeg B3325033-6758-4299-BA0C-472ABE73DA51.jpeg (366.46 KB, 40 views)

P3Tacco

I went in via North Pass on Thursday March 7, and exited North Pass on Sunday March 10. I have a F-150 4WD. To me, it looked worse than it was.  There was probably 18" of snow in some spots, with deep ruts that were very muddy and slushy. We never experienced any problems, other than any vehicle would need to have good clearance.  We did drag a little on the high snow in the middle of the ruts. The only issue that I saw is that once you are in the ruts you will likely stay there (I couldn't get out of them, once in) and that could make things very difficult if you encounter someone going the other direction, or there's some rock fall that you have to get around. There was just a little fresh snow. It was fun.
P.S. or BTW, the no-see-ums are heating up. Not too bad yet but we did get some bites.
Danieljamestcook

The North Pass has been very sketchy in the last week. Last Wed my wife and I attempted to cut first tracks in the snow and it was incredibly slushy and muddy with about 6 inches on the road and over a foot in the drifts. We didn’t end up making it and made camp up there and then went around through South pass. As of yesterday there was at least one party that made it over N pass reporting it still extremely sloppy and difficult. I’d recommend chains on any 4x4 through there until it melts.
Mj3039

Went through the north pass on the afternoon of the 4th. Made it through with little issue with 4wd Grand Cherokee. This was before the recent precipitation
Flipper

Super Moderators
Can only report second hand information for the north pass. Talked to one visitor who came in north pass yesterday. Was reported to be slushy snow and muddy. Would not recommend it currently for the average traveler. 

Major Tom

Snow on the night of 2/20. We drove out on 2/21 in 4WD low, 2nd gear (automatic transmission) and we were able to punch through new snow without chains. We were fortunate that we did not run into anyone coming down the hill or there would have been major difficulties. Lots of old and new snow accumulated (12-18" ?) with single tracks to navigate. High clearance is a must currently. (Lots of indications of differentials knocking down the center berm). A lot of squirrely ruts on top of the canyon between Whippoorwill and Marble Canyon too. Offhand I would recommend using chains currently. Justin came out later in the day with a big Ford 4WD and he indicated two vehicles that came down the canyon between his trip and mine chewed up the grade so bad with slipping that he needed to chain up his truck.
SilverBob

Yeah, the driver knew he was in over his head.  He said he was from Santa Barbara and knew absolutely nothing about driving in the snow! (As if I couldn't figure that out on my own!)  It was an expensive lesson from which I hope he will learn a lot.  

As it turns out, his passenger was a hitchhiker he'd picked up earlier who had heard of the Springs and just happened to accept the offer of a ride in.  I'm pretty sure he'll remember the trip as well!
PahrumpGeorge

S. Bob: Did the Subaru guys ever fully realize all that they did wrong? Maybe they were just blaming the weather and not accepting any responsibility for their predicament.

Sorry we missed the event; new knee not ready for a soak just yet.

Happy soaks.
Geo.
SilverBob

This will be old news to people who were at the Springs last weekend, but on my way in the North on Friday, Feb. 15th, I found 2 folks in a Subaru Outback which was stuck in about 18" of snow on Whippoorwill Flats.  They had regular street tires with no tire chains, no shovel and no recovery points on their vehicle.  He'd just kept driving into deeper and deeper snow until his car was high centered and his tires were just turning freely.  [confused] Even if I'd had a winch on my Land Cruiser, there was nothing to hook to that wouldn't have damaged his rear bumper.  I offered to use my ham radio to have someone call Miller's Towing but since they had intermittent cell service, they opted to search for a cheaper way of getting out.  In the end, I heard that they did end up paying $1000 for a tow truck to come out and get them.

Meanwhile, the rest of us had no problems getting in or out in our more appropriate vehicles.
P3Tacco

Thanks for the update!
Farmer_Fred

Tuesday, February 19 , at 10:00 am. Just came out North Pass. 1.5 feet of snow. Full size pickup with 8 ft. camper 4by4 no chains.
SunMan

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/presidents-2019-10039099?pid=1307720589
bb

Went in North on the night of the 7th. A bit icy the first 3 miles from pavement and then dry thru Opal Canyon. The snow starts and stops suddenly on North Pass, but was about 6-8" deep on the road for the majority of the time. My ride has 11" of clearance and I dragged the middle maybe once. Would definitely recommend aggressive all terrains or chains for exiting as the climb thru whippoorwill will be icy with compacted snow soon. There are good tracks packed in, but if you meet another vehicle, someone is going to get into the deep stuff to let them by. Going to be interesting to see how much fresh snow hits the pass.

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 11.47.08 AM.png 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution