Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
encore889

I have no problems with any gender going to the springs... I just have a problem with ppl so smashed that they couldn't make it to the toilet, but had to crap in the middle of the beautiful bathroom and leave it there for someone else to clean up.  Or others so dumb and unprepared, to not fill up their gas tank before heading to the springs... and subsequently having to beg everyone for gas.  Or others blasting techno music all night long keeping everyone awake.  Please tell me when did saline turn in to burning man...??!!  This all happened on presidents day weekend, and just what I know about... I go to saline to soak, recharge, relax, meet some "good" ppl, enjoy the scenery and the stars.  Hey I don't mind if ppl want to enjoy some libations, but If I wanted to hang out with disrespectful piss drunk noobs and douchebags, I would have gone hot tubbing at a frat house.  And the last couple times I've been out there, the crowd is getting sloppy... slippery sloppy slope... you know how that goes. I've been to too many hot springs that have been commercialized, trashed, and eventually shut down.  If you guys make it so damn easy for jack-holes (not saying "forestgirl is a jackhole) to come to the springs, we're all gonna get what we deserve... 

okay i'm done ranting.

Hey webboy....I was there and saw that Tacoma broken down.   A few facts....That era of Tacoma had a bad lower ball joint/ many failed.   The drag mark from that front tire was 15 feet long....no speeding there.
bobhuckaby

and the purpose of this forum IMHO is to facilitate enjoyment of ALL to the beauty and beatitude of our beloved oasis (sexual orientation irrelevant)
bob from tahoe
mlmorrison

encore889--you are soooo insensitive and last century; perhaps he (or she or) is simply identifying as a girl today...tomorrow, who knows???
mlmorrison

Direction above are fine but not really helpful for a newbee at night. Get a good GPS unit; turn off coordinates are (NAD83; 11 S): 421465 (E), 4070659 (N). Check that out on Google Earth as also mentioned above.
webboy52

20161025_372.JPG  20161025_370.JPG Back in late October of last year, we came across this truck as we were leaving the hot springs.  I assume another case of a driver going way too fast.  This truck was maybe a mile west of the "bat" on the road to the hot springs.  I've measured the distance from the main road to Middle Springs at about 7 miles, and I allow an hour.  I take it easy, as I don't want any issues.  Please be careful out there!

Why would you take a chance with North Pass in its current condition if South Pass is doable?
bobhuckaby

hi, forestgirl, right on death valley road 3 miles east of big pine, then right on dirt saline-waucoba road appx 15 miles -- street sign present, ignore road closed sign.
left turnoff to hot springs is about 31 miles, not marked, but a real track instead of the false takeoffs prior, then 6 miles to the lower springs, take it easy from the county road or the washes will bite your tongue and break your suspension.
at the top of north pass descending go to low range for 2 miles steep and narrow and icy
have fun, I am 2 weeks later
bob from tahoe
chuckwalla

Hi, Forest Girl,
Your Mitsubishi may be dragging on the snow a little on the way down Whippowill Canyon. It might be challenging. Bring chains if traction becomes a problem.
Check out maps, Google Earth regarding the directions. Here is a lino to look at and print out: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18928931
Be careful and good luck.
Chuck
forestgirl

Hi all, can anyone PM on best directions.  I'd like to come in the North Pass tomorrow (March 14), first time visiting (like where to turn and what to avoid).  Also do you think a 4 wheel drive Mitsubish Endeavor would have trouble with the road if drive carefully?
Thanks, Forestgirl
webboy52

Hello Sonoma1.  Looks like North Pass open, but I would take extreme care with it.

Leave your vehicle at Jeff's Country Kitchen in Big Pine.  Go in there, talk to the owner, and enjoy a great breakfast.  The owner is a nice guy and will allow you to park at the place.  Also, it's on Hwy 395, so it sees lots of CHP action.

Hope all works out will for you.  I'll be hitting Saline Valley on April 11 or 12th for 5 nights.  See you all there...

Came out on Sunday. Muddy, but the snow had melted a lot since a few days prior. There will likely be a just a few patches by the 19th. It was no problem with a 4WD
Sonoma1

Any update on North Pass? Hoping to come in 3/19. Also, any recommendations on where to leave a two wheel drive in Big Pine for a few days? We would be willing to pay, not that it's a nice car...

Thanks!
mlmorrison

Good update on N Pass conditions. Also, if you head that way there is the common "Road Closed" sign at the turn off from Hwy 168 out of Big Pine. The County road dept does that to try and keep tourists and their Corollas from getting stuck and worse. They also have the Death Valley Road posted as closed; rest are listed as open which includes Saline Valley Road...if that is accurate (might be because the "closed" for DV Road has not been there previously).
loominarie

I went in the North Pass, Wednesday, 3/1, mid day and used granny and first gear in 4L without chains, in a Tacoma. The road was one rut for each side of the vehicle; there was mud, running water, packed snow and ice. I bottomed out on some snow in the road's center, but never got stuck. There would have been trouble if I'd met another vehicle as there were NO turnouts. I made it into the springs in LESS than 3 1/2 hours from Bishop. A cyclist from Bishop made it in N. Pass in ten hours, but he thought he walked three miles in the mud. I went out the South Pass Saturday, March 4, and it was fine.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!