Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 12      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Salt Peter

Just rent a proper vehicle.
John914

I'd be more concerned with Bat Road, the last 7 miles of the trip. The first half crosses sandy washes that could be tricky for a low clearance vehicle, then the second half tends to be very rocky.
carrots

Hi guys, how do you think a city car would fare on the road with the recent grading? I've got some experience taking city cars on roads they're not supposed to be on but have been a little paranoid after reading some of the horror stories! I'd like to get to the springs, but would like to check out the area and camp by the road if it's not possible to get to the springs in my car. If you have any tips beyond bringing a spare & fix-a-flat I'd be very appreciative.
SilverBob

The Inyo County road crew did a fantastic job on the North Pass as far as Willow Creek.  The road is as good as it's ever been, albeit quite dusty.  The part between Willow Creek and the Bat Rock turnoff is still rough with very sharp washboarding.  Bat Rock Road is in normal condition with nothing to cause any concern.

The crew is done now, and they've taken the graders back out of the valley, presumably to get ready for snow removal in the coming months.  Rather than hauling ass on the new road surface just because we can, maybe we could try taking it easy for a while and enjoying the trip.  That would keep the road smoother longer.........
Yeah, I know.  Ain't gonna happen.  I can dream though, right?
oski6754

Traveled in via N. Pass on 10/27 and back out on 10/30.  As previously reported, the road is in excellent condition at higher elevations yet devolves to heavy washboard round about Willow Creek.  

*The fastest way in and out of the valley is to drive slow and avoid damaging your vehicle. 
Sam D.

scoutbel, may I suggest you checking again just prior to your coming. The passes can get snow and you need to be prepared with snow chains and extra food and water if you get snowed in.

scoutbel

Great! Thanks so much! We'll keep on eye on things
Dpsmedic

Hi there, I was on North Pass the weekend of OCT 13 and the road was no problem. No washouts and no areas requiring 4x4. I aired down and stayed at a low speed and enjoyed the view. No idea on weather since then, but graders has graded the road 19.2 miles from the pavement. Rest was just standard washboard. Should have no problem with a Ram truck at all. The Death Valley Road Conditions Facebook page has up to date info as reported by visitors and the rangers. I sent them a FB message to get current conditions and they responded within a day.
scoutbel

Hi everyone! I am in the process of planning a trip for the second week in November. It would be our first time going and I am wondering what people's thoughts would be as to the road conditions this time of year? I have heard washouts might be a problem and 4x4 is a must. Is this true? We have a large Ram truck, but no 4x4. wondering if we're out of luck... thanks so much! 
Salt Peter

Millers Towing is Prius ready too.
[thumb]
Flipper

I'm not so keen on a Prius quality road. But I am planning on visiting the springs for Halloween!
oregonjohn

It's gonna be Prius ready in no time.
BigDaddyJEH

when out on North Road yesterday.  It is ok, there still are a couple small washouts, but graders are hard at work.  
Dpsmedic

Thank you for the reply!
Sam D.

My last info has been that the graders made it to Marble Canyon about 1/3 of the way from pavement to the Bat Rd. Both passes can wash out and become impassable after the first rain or snow. The roads do not get graded to the springs. The graders do not grade the Bat Rd so the last 7 miles sometimes are the worst part.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!