Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
peneumbra

No. You're on your own. 
sierramtnman

Looks like snow level in the Inyo/White is around 5500-6000’ North Pass May have a foot or so. Any one with big tires and chains all around going to make a path for me before next week?
peneumbra

Rudolph the Red Knows Rain, Dear.
peneumbra

But, honey, what is it Rudolph The Red Knows?
peneumbra

Rudolph The Red Knows.
bobhuckaby

for James, special report:
did view from the space station and it shows 12 feet snow coming to north pass this week
bob from tahoe
grumblingcrustacean

Given the amount of snow I saw in Mammoth on Thanksgiving, I suspect the North Pass is still in a shape previously described with maybe more wet and mud.

Above Mammoth village, we had 12” of snow. At Little Hot Creek that same morning - token dusting.

-j
James Sel

But I must know now. Surely someone knows.
bonneaudickson

Snow conditions are unpredictable.  

The recent (10/22/2018) storm did not result in any precipitation in Saline Valley, but it closed the passes in the Sierras.  

The best thing is to monitor this forum to see what people report when they come out.  
James Sel

How long with the coming snow will the pass be unpassable and how deep will it get?

Thx in advance.

bonneaudickson

Simon Lang and I came out the north pass on 11/26/2018.

There was no snow at all along the way and the road was in very good condition.  

One could have made it in a two wheel drive sedan.

Some washboard at places.  Just drive slowly.
bobhuckaby

north pass in awesome condition all the way and bone dry, but watch for a sand pit just before the top going out, likely to become a mud hole with the weather coming in.
basketcase

On Friday November 16 Inyo County grader working on the road about 5 miles north of Turtle Jim's.  Came back out on Sunday November 18, the road is in very good condition with the usual bone clattering washboard at the bottom of the valley.
SunMan

Correct. We left midday on Thursday and they were grading in a northbound direction a couple miles north of the Lippencott junction.
SilverBob

When we drove in  on Wednesday, November 7th, the North pass was being graded by an Inyo County Road Crew  Grading was complete from  the turn-off from the pavement to Paiute Canyon.  I heard from others who came in while we were there that the grader had made it a couple miles further and had started working on the badly washboarded stretch north of Willow Creek.

As usual, the road that has been graded is very smooth and dusty with lots of sharp rocks turned up.  Take your time and be courteous by slowing down when passing other vehicles.  Nobody likes to be "dusted", especially when the road is this silty. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution