Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next

Came over the North Pass Saturday afternoon.  No snow on the road.

Came out on 3/9/18. North pass was good. A few patches of wetness, but no biggie. A bit washboardy on the valley floor.

Looking at the forecast it seems like there may be snow at elevation on Sat. Anyone have a sense about road conditions and thoughts about snow melt this timeOf year?

came down north pass yesterday 3/5/18 on a adventure bike
a couple patches of thin snow and a couple patches of ice in the shade 
not an issue at all

Much ado about nothing. Almost no snow on the trail. 2wd vehicles with decent tires will have no problem.

Snow still present over North Pass, but melting rapidly (saw noticeable change between yesterday afternoon going in and this afternoon going out).  Still snowy in a few shady areas.  Plus light flakes falling this evening at the top where dirt meets blacktop (Death Valley & Saline Valley Rds. junction).

Accepted the Camry challenge and succeeded.  Camry did well, just kept it very slow (like 5 hours each way) and let 1/3 air out of tires when left the pavement.  Carried two spare tires, fix-a-flat, two cheap fence boards, rubber traction mats, tire pump and plugs and—most important—shovel. 

Only issue was two spots going uphill on return trip on the snow.  Had to cut out about 20 feet of snow and use the fence boards.  But the snow/ice is really compacted and flakes right up with a shovel, it's not iced hard into the dirt.

Still, will not repeat with a 2WD sedan despite success.  May be worth the adventure if out of necessity, but still relying hard on luck.  Nerve-wracking.  Plus folks give you lots of worried looks.

Photos are 2/28 and 3/1.
IMG_7987.jpg  IMG_7997.jpg  IMG_8072.jpg  IMG_8083.jpg 

as of 2/26/2018 north and south pass are good,,  Any 4WD truck/SUV and most high clearance 2WD vehicles won't have any problems.  

Michelle and I left via North Pass on Feb. 20th.  We were pulling our teardrop trailer with our Land Cruiser.  The road is slowly developing the washboard we all expect after it's been graded.  We didn't encounter anything out of the ordinary.  Any 4WD truck/SUV and most high clearance 2WD vehicles won't have any problems.  If you insist on bringing a Camry or a Jaguar, please let us know how it worked out for you.
Seattle Mitch

That’s three rollovers I know about since 12.22.17. Geeze. Slowthefuckdown!
has it stopped raining yet dammit
San Felipe

I came out on 21 February. The road was clear except for this: 13 rolled truck.jpg  I righted the truck for them. The highway patrol came in response to the rollover. There was a fair amount of spilled motor oil. This happened very close to Bat Rock Road as they were leaving.

Drove in via North pass on Dec 27, left on January 1.  Wish we could have stayed longer.  No trouble except for a broken leaf spring hanger on out toy hauler.  Frame design flaw, weld held but ripped clean hole in trailer frame.  Pete the welder from Bishop fixed us up and reinforced all of the hangers. 
We'll definitely return. hanger.jpg  Pete.jpg  Blade.jpg  Trailer.jpg

Drove from South to North today (190 to 168) in a Jeep Wrangler and smooth sailing to whole way -- no washboard to speak of and Bat Road was clear too.  I came across this capsized vessel within a 1/2 mile of 168 around 2:30 p.m.  Driver of the Range Rover left a note stating she was OK and had gone to get help.  Didn't see her.  Be careful out there and Happy Holidays!  

Salt Peter

Great report even though not my choice of vehicle. Amazing to see the bobby. I've seen one on Death Valley Road on the descent from North Pass.
Jim Y

Went to the Springs on Dec 13 from North Pass and came out South Pass on Dec 16 total about 100 miles on dirt road with a 2007 2WD Honda Odyssey. Armed with air pump, full size spare and patching materials. I have a 150W solar panel on top of my van. It end up nothing happened.

DSC06191.jpg  DSC06195.jpg 

Both North and South pass is in good shape. Any 2WD vehicle with higher clearance is passable, just drive cautious and slow down on rocky sections.  I do not recommend sedan on this roads.   

On the first day in on North Pass, a full size 4WD truck passed me at high speed (about 40 mph), later when I turned left to the warm spring road, I saw the guy had flat tire just before the bat post.

DSC06251.jpg  DSC06256.jpg 
There was only a few vehicles on the Spring campground. I noticed the older folks soak in the pool for hours, even when I woke up next day at 7am, those folks were already in the pool. They don't care the skin come off? 

The Warm Spring section is pretty rough, drive slow you should be OK. On the way out, I saw 2 huge grader on the South Pass. The road is excellent condition until about 10 miles to 190

DSC06846.jpg  DSC06847.jpg  DSC06848.jpg 
About 2 miles from the Warm Spring Rd on the South Pass, I encounter the burnt Jeep Grand Cherokee, 

DSC06853.jpg  DSC06855.jpg   
On the way out about 10 miles from the Boxcar cabin, there is a 7000' mountain pass needs to go through. On 2 locations my van front wheels spin on the steep grade. It was pretty scary. I wished there is some 4WD truck pass by and pull me up the grade, but there were no other vehicles in the last 2 hours. I backed up about 200 feet to a level section and speed up to gain momentum. I barely made it to the summit and on the way down hill. 

I stayed in the Boxcar Cabin for 2 days and 2 nights. It was nice but has tons of mice came out at night. I noticed mice poo was everywhere on the kitchen counter.

DSC06884.jpg  DSC06862.jpg  DSC06864.jpg 

On South Pass, I spotted a magnificent Bob Cat stared at me.   

I rely on the Garmin GPS on the whole trip, it pin point to the Springs and Boxcar Cabin. No errors what so ever. 
I will go next time with a more suitable 4WD truck and bigger solar power generator, so I can go further and feel saver.

Just returned from North Pass. Road is in awesome condition, some wash boarding on the last 2-3 miles before Bat Rock Road. Also aired down to 25 and kept it in 2nd gear for most of the drive. Cheers!
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!