Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 9 of 11     «   Prev   6   7   8   9   10   11   Next
tonapah tom

thanks foe posting this information..planning to go in north pass on 1/27 out on 1/30.. but i don't know now..may be snowed in..??
gjewers

Thanks for the update.  Didn't realize you guys were getting hit down there.  Still storming up in Quincy but a nice weather window ahead. Cheers.
mlmorrison

We got 4-8" of snow to Owens Valley floor last night; still snowing in Bishop now. Is getting windy so I suspect there will be some good sized drifts in north-facing portions of road and canyons from Big Pine into Saline. Weather is supposed to clear by Monday afternoon and be good rest of week. But I would be really cautious about North Pass until late in the week. Safe travels.
SurUrs

Snow chains requirement in Indy and Big Pine on 395 this morning. I hear from reliable sources, i.e. John Miller towing services in Lone Pine, that even attempting South Pass before last night's and today's storm was very dicey because of a layer of ice below fresh snow on top.
gjewers

Looking at attempting North Pass next week.  Did the rains wreak havoc on the road?  Any snow?  Thanks.
mlmorrison

Inyo County has a "Road Closed" sign up at where Death Valley/Saline Valley road takes off from Hwy 168 outside Big Pine. This is SOP for them and does not mean the road is really closed. I was told by road crew they do this to discourage tourists from getting into something they cannot handle. There is about 1 foot of snow on Westgard Pass (7200'); I would assume about same on Whippoorwill Flats and on south; probably pretty icy and nasty in steep section heading into valley.
mlmorrison

Will keep you updated if I see/hear anything. Safe travels.
tonapah tom

thank you morrison..We hope to go in on the end  of january...down the lippencott...
 out the north pass..
mlmorrison

I live in Bishop--snow to valley floor but light. Although snow line in Inyo's looks to be about 6000' on south slopes, you know there will be a good deal on north-facing slopes and bends in the road. Was wet snow followed by rain so it will be a mess and tough to push through I suspect. Weather clearing mostly and supposed to be nice this coming weekend.
bobhuckaby

prediction now is rain but negligible snow at north pass, and rain at Saline
bob from tahoe
mlmorrison

Snowing pretty good in Owens Valley and foothills of Inyo's. We shall see if we get the following rain that is predicted...with that comes the potential flooding.
Salt Peter

The northern Inyos had dark clouds most of the morning with light rain falling at the springs this AM.
mlmorrison

A few inches of snow in Bishop tonight, with a wet storm (rain on snow event below 8000' according to NOAA) starting Saturday and going into Sunday. I imagine North Pass is already a mess. Safe travels to all.
Spider

Yeah, that van was us...
We had trouble with the 4wd on this trip and couldn't get it engaged. Otherwise I think we would have made it out fine...
Thanks for your help and patience Myion, glad you made it home ok.

Anette & Scott
Myion

Went in on the 26th at night, was fine, took it low gear and slow, came out on the 2nd and a van needed a bit of help (good tires but needed to chain up), but once chained up came through just fine, the other 3 cars and I made it through no issues. there was a decent amount of ice late afternoon.

94 Montero 4x4
33" bfg TA Ko's 20psi
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!