Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 7      1   2   3   4   Next   »
morgandonor
Happy to report I made it out of north pass last night. A few miles are covered in 3-5” of snow, most of it being on flat(ish) ground with a few icy inclines. On the beginning of the first icy climb, I found a fellow springer who wasn’t able to make it up the hill in his 2wd van. Luckily I came prepared with not only two full size spares, plug kits, compressor, but also picked up my first tow strap and set of chains. Put the old 4runner in 4 low and was able to drag him up to the top of the pass. He was preparing to camp up there, so please bring plenty of extra food, water and emergency supplies just in case. Going in was easy, but it’s never a bad idea to make friends with others at the springs and try to arrange a caravan for your exit.
mlmorrison

Not a chance North Pass is impassable due to snow. I live in Bishop and was up towards Whipporwill Flats 4 days ago and there was 4" snow; so maybe half a foot in shadows near pass? Has been mostly clear since last small storm. No road closure signs out of Big Pine.
FreedomYogis

Is the North Pass indeed closed, or just ill advised to drive? Has there been any snow in the last week up there? A friend drove it this weekend and said small amounts of snow but no big deal. Trying to go in north tomorrow!
oski6754

NPS just posted that the North Pass is closed due to snow and the South closed due to a stuck NPS Pumper Truck stuck in the snow . . .  saline snow.png 

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRoadConditions/

bobhuckaby

I log the daily weather off national weather service, so far only 1-2" snow north pass total last week, and warm in days, so only cold corners left, road underneath was graded with small berm on outside by drop-offs.
good news is Tahoe and mammoth finally got something to speak of, but roads are clear.
bob from tahoe
FayeG

I just spent the last hour playing on that weather/wind/everything awesome website!!  Thanks for that link minierf!
minierf

besides reports on here, I keep my eye on this: https://www.windy.com/-Snow-depth-snowcover?snowcover,36.854,-117.773,10
Yeti

We are looking at going in around XMas for the week in a 4WD with chain but would love to know how North pass is looking, would rather not have to go around to South pass. Please post what you find. Thanks
efdfireman

I'm going in tonight in a 4wd Yukon with great snow tires and chains if needed.  If you hear back from me before Monday you know I turned around and went south.
See ya at the springs!
Tim
FreedomYogis

Has anyone come in or out of North Pass since Thanksgiving (11/22) that can give a proper update on road conditions, mainly snow cover on ground or recent rain that has caused washouts? There have been a few weather systems since and I’m curious what actually made it out there. I love ya’ll but don’t need heresay or fear-mongering, just factual, firsthand experience. Thank you!
mlmorrison

I don't know about North Pass but the northern White's only have 4-5" at 8000' (was just up there). From Bishop based on my experience living here and looking at snow line I sure doubt North Pass has more than that, but...
Salt Peter

I don't doubt it. The Inyos got a dusting and the whites have some good coverage. My guess is a foot in the deepest areas. We'll have to wait for those who've traveled the route after the storm.
slash2

This is a cool map..

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=36.981;-118.087;10&l=snow

Says there's 3" to 7" of snow currently in the area of North Pass. 

peneumbra

"Send money, guns, and lawyers..."

OK, forget the lawyers.
James Sel

Bob luv ya man but, that sounds like a lawyer response. [biggrin] I am curious of what these cloud brought to the passes all kidding aside.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution