Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
bb

Went over North Pass en route to hike in the Inyos. SVR in standard condition. Bad washboard at times, but have seen it better and seen it worse. Smoother after the springs turn-off to the Hunter Canyon Rd where we parked. Lots of lupine at North Pass so that was nice. Felt odd visiting the valley, but not the springs. Saw one other group having a massive bonfire near McElvoy Canyon while exiting Saturday night. 

IMG_7837.jpg 

RavenSprings

Drove out on North Pass on Saturday (3/28). A long snowy/muddy section but no problem with AWD. Snow not too deep but I wouldn't recommend it with 2WD.
Anonymous
Drove north pass two days ago and it was muddy. Made it out, but 2 whl dr may have difficulties if you don’t keep momentum
Flipper

Super Moderators
Please read the posts in General topics concerning the springs. 
Rexbo

Poked our head into north pass during the storm on 3/19, saw about 6" of fresh snow at the junction with Eureka Dunes Rd and decided against heading down that way. Camped that night at the dunes and got rained & snowed on. 

Looks like someone braver than us made it out that day!
bb

LRG_DSC04814 copy.jpg North Pass update from a friend exiting today
TopoF2

drove out north in the dark morning on thursday 3/12. road is clear. fine ice crystals. a jackrabbit and a quail were my only concerns.
dautremont

Here is the view Sunday afternoon at the North Pass turn off, during the snowstorm.  A bit bleak and quite icy, about 4 inches already and growing.   Temperature in the high teens Fahrenheit.  pic3.jpg  pic4.jpg 
redondo dave

We came out North Pass 02/24/2020 with two f-250s with pop up campers (chained up) and a 4x4 full size van (unchained BFG's AT). All made it with no problem. We were told before we hit the canyon that a full size truck with pop up had to chain up after getting stuck. We chained up before the canyon on dry land.  Snow was melting quick. About 8'' on top.
Have Fun, David

... since it's not cross posted. A report on one of the facebook groups has a photo of the N pass road at the pavement turnoff with snow up to the bottom of the road closed sign. Reported on Saturday 22 Feb. The party reported going out of Steel Pass. Considering the snow, I'm assuming we're going to see some interesting reports coming. Wonder how S pass is?
bobhuckaby

In and out no issues, some patches of snow in shade but dirt tracks through
washboard going up 3-mile grade is ugly, please use 4WD
bob from tahoe
Flipper

Super Moderators
Headed in this morning. Got a reliable report on north pass. Only patches of snow left, but the driving tract has dirt visible. So north should be ok. Still, use the boy scout motto.....
Dpsmedic

Went in on Friday 2/7 at 8PM and out Sunday 2/9 at 7AM.  Road clear and dry most of the way,  Small amounts of snow and ice in Whippoorwill canyon.  Was in 4WD but did not feel like I needed it.  Friday night went down the canyon pretty slow but did not experience any issues.    23 degrees at that time in the morning on Sunday and no issues going up hill.   Normal amounts of washboard the rest of the way.
kekoadavis

Just drove out. Yes a few sections of snow and mud. My opinion is no concerns with 4wd or 2wd with chains in the ready. I would also have no concerns with a light motorcycle 690 or smaller. Larger heavy bikes would be contingent on many other things (i.e tread, experience, buddy, personal strength, etc). Took me 3.5 hours from svhs to olancha via north pass. 4 hrs Wednesday from olancha via south pass in a taco. Rocks and washboard on south pass suck. North pass was way better. Hope this helps.
slash2

Prepare like there are long icy sections, that you will encounter deep muddy ruts and that you will possibly have a flat tire at some point, if you do all that then you will be fine.

If you can't handle all that the road may throw at you then you run the risk of burdening someone else with your problems and/or racking up a very expensive tow bill.

If you choose not to be fully prepared while traveling in the backcountry at least bring along $500 cash to give to the kind, well prepared experienced traveler that will undoubtedly delay their trip to help you out of a jam.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution