Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 9     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
natur_lover

We have a Toyota Tundra and have always used south pass for more than a decade . But we have changed our mind about the north pass due to the extremely bad wash-board on the south route.
James Sel
It seems to me that the guys with a Toyota truck still prefer the South Pass. My '86 has IFS  and cheap shocks.  From Olancha it's still 1 hour 9min (according Map Quest)  65mi just to get to Big Pine. That gets me past Hunter Mt Rd. But not to Lippencott turn off  yet.
 If I have fishing on my mind No. Pass works great cause I can hit the spots on my way back. home.
JoltinJim

better how? def not less time to get in. if by better u mean smoother? sure.

toyota, bilsteins and bfg's Ivan cant be wrong

XPBC

Hey Joltin,
Until the South is graded again the North is actually a better way even if your heading towards the south. 
JoltinJim

the south pass is rougher than last year, but id never think of going around to the north pass coming from bakersfield.
Seattle Mitch

I've only been to the springs twice, both times via the south pass which was in rough shape last February and has reportedly degraded since then. I'm looking forward to travelling the north pass for the first time.

Sweet!

Coming out on 21 Feb, it was ridiculously good!  I doubt it will get significantly worse by then.  
Sam D.

My friends plan on going March 1-6. I can post the report on the 7th.

Seattle Mitch

I'll be traveling into saline valley on march 8-9. I'll likely take the north pass. Can anyone share any info on the current condition of the north pass route? I'd also be interested in arranging to caravan in with some other vehicles, if possible. Thanks ahead of time for all the helpful info

I believe in 2001 people had trouble getting out for close to two weeks.  People ended up going out Lippencot and Steel Pass.  I can't imagine a better reason not to go back to work!
Unregistered
You might also consider buying a $50 plug-in air compressor and a $12 flat repair kit. Has worked great for me out there.

Also, if you visit in winter and get stuck, food is obviously the major issue, not water, which is available at the springs. It is easy to carry a month's supply of high calorie food in a single medium sized cardboard box.

Does anyone know the longest a party has been stuck in winter? How they managed?

Lysdexic

Always carry chains, 2 spares, fix-a-flat, a weeks's extra rations, plenty of water... guess that's why I've never needed any of those things. First time I leave home without 'em, though......
Shotgun Scott

The Ump & Scorekeeper will be in on Saturday.

luckypabst

Hey JJ,

I'm headed in Friday morning, North or South depending on my mood and whether I'm traveling alone or not. Will be staged up at the Double L/Jakes's in Lone Pine Thursday eve.

Chris

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution