Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
James Sel
Shoot just pick a spot on the north pass and you good to go. I've seen plenty of spots once your on the dirt.

Kerry

Thanks Oobleck. Not my first trip in but my first time driving in North Pass. I hear the south pass is not very user friendly. If memory serves me, I can spot the peace mountain from this direction, which should help locate the Bat Road. I didn't think overnight camping was allowed at Keough, unless that's changed recently.
Oobleck

Kerry, There is a public campground on the corner of 168 and 395. Not sure what they charge, but probably not much. There is also camping at Keough Hot Springs a couple miles north of Big Pine on 395. You can pay Keough and use their pool or camp for free next to the "wild" springs just outside their boundary (no facilities).  If this is your first trip to the springs you are right to come in daylight. It's a pretty spectacular drive (and the Bat Cave road is a lot easier to find by day - not exactly easy, but easier).
Kerry

Wilderness camp sight is fine. Just need a place to pitch a few tents overnight so I can ride into Saline in daylight. Anywhere close to CA 395 or CA-168 (or further in) would be fine. Anybody know the current conditions at Dirty Socks outside Olancha? That might be a good stop-over point.

Unregistered
What kinda camp you want. wilderness or campground .outhouse??
Kerry

Hey Folks, Planning a trip into Saline from San Diego via North Pass in early April. I would prefer to drive into Saline in the morning. Any suggestions for someplace to set up camp overnight, close to Big Pine? Thanks!
melgarot

I would also love an update on the North Pass....thanks!!!
loupiote
is there still any snow on the north pass?

planning a motorcycle trip this week.. any update on current conditions would be great!
joe

Hey folks. Solo heading in to Saline from Big Pine the morning of 3/30. Considering going in via Steele Pass and if so would like to caravan if any one interested - otherwise will use North pass. 2010 FJ.

matmiss

Don't think there's much snow - it all landed on the Sierra.  Telescope did get some, down to about 9000 ft.  Chains were never required over Westgard Pass, so snow, if any, wasn't deep.
There IS another storm due in this weekend - Sunday for sure - whether it does anything but blow remains to be seen - winds were awful last weekend!!  
melgarot

Hi Guys. Curious to know the condition of the North Pass after this past weekend and hopfully after the coming weekend too!
Going with folks that have been a few times before, but I am new and curious about the snow and its impact on driving in. Cant wait. Cheers!
Amargosa Slim

In the North Pass 3/12, out 3/16.  North road in good shape, passenger car should be OK.  A little washboard developing but it's a magic carpet ride compared to the South Pass.  A storm was scheduled to give the North  Pass area rain and snow on 3/16 & 3/17 so conditions may have changed.  All disclaimers apply.  Watch for new erosion gulleys. 

Thanks to TRUMAhead for this link to weather and forecast link for North Pass.....top of Whipporwill Canyon,
 http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.03000004165215&lon=-117.97415256500244&site=vef&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text  
oscar

I visited Saline Valley for the first time this weekend.  I made the trip in my Nissan Titan 4x4 truck, via North Pass.  I had a great time at the springs, and the trip in and out wasn't particularly aggravating (even with my limited experience with 4x4/off-pavement driving).  I averaged about 15mph off-pavement on the way in, 20mph on the way out.

Washboarding rattled the ice cubes in my coolers, but otherwise manageable,  No snow on the road, and only traces off to the sides,   I used 4-wheel-drive only sparingly, and I'm not sure even that was needed.

I got back to Big Pine with more than half a tank of gas (11.6 gallons used, 26-gallon tank).

tronaborn

And splitting a little finer, this will get you the middle of the Palm spring.  Check it in "Satellite" mode:  http://tinyurl.com/88at3bd.  Obviously, by clicking on different spots, you can narrow your choice as much as you want.
RC Pilot Jim

This one is 23 miles north east of Lone Pine. X marks the spot;  http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.81808022778526&lon=-117.74322509765625&site=vef&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

Splitting hairs
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution