Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 9      1   2   3   4   Next   »
luckypabst

Sitting at The Tub in long valley at the moment, I'll be headed over north pass either tomorrow or Saturday. Big Pine had 3"+ of fresh snow on Christmas night so I expect the pass to have received a good bit more since James went through. .

Chris
Salt Peter

Great picture James. Looks like a desert winter wonderland. Perfect for those who went over Christmas. I have friends who invited me to the Panamints and then Saline yesterday thru sunday but I had work.
Spider

We came out of the valley on the North Pass on the afternoon/early evening of xmas day. We had no problems at all with a stock 4Runner 4WD and decent tires (BF Goodrich All Terrains).
About 3 inches of packed snow with a dusting of an extra 2-3 inches of fresh snow on top. Small portions were icy (it was getting dark and quickly froze over).

Just make sure to carry chains and you should be good to go.

Oh, and we are going back in on Saturday

desertsnow

Has anyone driven out of Saline on the North pass with the last few days? Is it passable with high clearance 4 wheel drive? How much snow is at the highest elevation? Thanks in advance for any info.
James Sel

Yesterday

mgfreeman2004

Hi  folks
  I live in Big pine and was at the turnoff for the n.pass this morning. Three inches of dry snow.
James Sel

Jake you are good to go. Packed snow not deep. as of 3 hrs ago.
heroicbill

Well I realize it's a long shot, but does anyone know how the North Pass is?  We were thinking about leaving today or tomorrow and spending Christmas there again, but here in Carson City we've had quite a bit of precipitation, I'm a little worried about the pass.  

I do have a full size 4x4 with chains
Thanks,
Jake

Sam D.

Can somebody elaborate and/or speculate on Morning Report's North Pass condition please?
"4x4 high-clearance only; last 4 to 5 miles gone"

What does it mean "4 to 5 miles gone"? Gone where and how?
How is the ditch before the mine?

Any eyewitness info is greatly appreciated
hotsoak

The North Pass is better than it's been in a long time. You could drive in there with a low profile car if you needed too. I was going out the South Pass just to see what condition it was in but needed to follow a lady out that was having transmission problems. I did talk to one gentlemen that came in the South Pass he reported the road to be in reasonable condition. Some washboard conditions not that unlike the North Pass.

Hotsoak
XunRainMoon

Drove in on North Pass Thursday (4/26) and out the same yesterday (4/29) - absolutely perfect road conditions, we made it in and out no problem in a little Mazda.  Our battery died while there, but some kind folks gave us a jump.  And on the drive out we actually helped some people in a rental Jeep change their tire!  Our tires did awesome though!  Just took it nice and slow....

~*Thank you Saline for a magical weekend*~

sierrahyker

Just came back from the Springs via North Pass yesterday 4/23/12.  I know it isn't always so easy, but made it to the Springs in 2 hours with a well-maintained route and no problems.  It was 105 degrees when we got to the oasis, but one dip in the cool springs remedied that.  Came out with the same easy experience.  Suppose to get cool this week.  I usually take the South Pass, but reading this forum, found out not so great, so the North Pass was a great decision.
Otmar

I came in last night via the N pass. Snow is not an issue, there are two small muddy spots (just enough to get on the tires) about 100 feet long in the canyon. Today has been nice and hot so they may be drying up. Basically the road is in excellent condition with light to moderte washboard. A skilled driver could get a Prius in, but as usual higher clearance is always a good thing.
ride

Came out N. Pass yesterday in 2wd vehicle with no chains. It was passable, the snow is on it's way out. There are 3ft high drifts up in the flats of whippoorwill, and up above the switchbacks of Marble Canyon.
The drifts were *not* covering the entire road.
The canyon coming up to whippoorwill was pretty snowed in but passable and it is probably much better today.

We decided to stay over on Sat night due to the reports of the amount of snow on the passes and were glad we did when we saw how much there was.

I hope the other parties who left on Sat. got out without too much troubles.

Sam D.

No snow whatsoever. But there are lots of laser sharp rocks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution