Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 8     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next
suntinez

Thanks for the pics/info everyone and look forward to Silver Bob's upcoming recon report.  Had a plan to meet folks at the springs soon, some capable, some less so.  This seems to be the only place to get accurate intel on access.  Glad Lee is doing OK, he's seen it all!
Geo Mitch

That is my van stuck in the wash up from the springs.  I did make it to the springs - on foot. I got a ride out with a DV ranger, Jacob, via the south. I would have been able to get out of the wash if I had not lost my steering (drag link broke). I have never seen that much flood devastation in the 30 years I have been going there. I went back in Friday with a friend to recover the trailer and bike. I got home yesterday. The force of the flood broke the bead on one of the trailer tires and filled it full of gravel. Lee was able to get the tire off the rime I got the grave out of the tire and we inflated it so I had a spare for the trailer. Thanks Lee!  I will be returning for my van as soon as I get a new drag link.  Please not not vandalize, but if you are there feel free to do some digging around the tires, it would be appreciated!!

Attached Images
jpeg Trailer_recovery_006.JPG (819.57 KB, 244 views)
jpeg Trailer_recovery_012.JPG (918.03 KB, 248 views)
jpeg Trailer_recovery_013.JPG (888.54 KB, 234 views)

SilverBob

I spoke to Mitch this morning by phone.  He got home late last night from the valley, where he was able to rescue his trailer, motorcycle, and most of the gear from the van.  He's planning to head back in with a crew in the next couple weeks to extract the van from the wash. 

Mitch told me it took two guys 12 hours to rebuild the road from Palm Springs to his van to make it passable for a stock F150 pickup truck.  The entire floor of the valley was altered by the storm.  The camping spots above Palm Springs have been heavily damaged, if not obliterated.  There will be plenty of work to be done this fall!
Tule

Who took the pictures?  [confused]  Are there more?

Myion

FYI, according to the Death Valley Road conditions FB group
"Death Valley received another round of heavy rains last night and most of our backcountry roads are closed. If you have pictures of current road damage, please share them here. (jac)"

not sure if this is older info from the weekend before... but wanted to pass it on.
SilverBob

Hi Mitch,

As I said in the post above, we're planning to go in next weekend, the 13th-15th.  I have no information on current conditions, other than what's been posted here.  I do know that the Inyos got another dose of rain over the weekend.  We'll see just how much of it got over the range and into the valley.  Stay tuned for further developments.
Seattle Mitch

Hey Silver Bob! Did you happen to make into the springs via north pass as planned? If so, what is your diagnosis of the road condition?

According to their website, they no longer have the MOU.

http://www.geargrinders4wdclub.org/index.php/trails-cabins
Major Tom

We need to see if the Gear Grinders out of Ridgecrest still have the MOU to "maintain" the Steele Pass corridor.

SilverBob

The date is correct, it's just the format that has you confused. 03/09 is actually the third of September.  I got those pictures, too.  The first is labeled 31/08/2013.  The rest say 01/09/2013 thru 03/09/2013.
Salt Peter

Man that doesn't look good. I think a good work party could make that ship shape in less than one day. One question, the date is wrong in the pic. Are the date/time settings correct on the camera? Anymore pics?
Major Tom

Looks like Palm Springs took a pretty good hit too. Here is a shot of the showers up top. Lee is going to enjoy his privacy a while longer from the looks of it. There is work to be done!
(Click on the thumbnail for the full sized picture.)

024.JPG
Driver

The entire length of the Saline Valley Road is an Inyo County road, to be maintained by the county, even though parts of it are inside DVNP.  The park has some authority as to how the road is managed in the park, e.g., which borrow pits can be used and their boundaries and where adjacent Wilderness boundaries are which county vehicles are supposed to stay out of.
Salt Peter

Saline Valley Road is technically in Inyo County and not part of the park. There are active mines and people living out there that require the roads to be in usable condition. The NPS, AFAIK, cannot regulate SVR.
Sparky of SoCal

Do you guys ever think worse case with the roads washed out.I have an idea that to us crazy and know way it could happen but to some government pinhead could rationalize.The road has been washed out by an act of God.Rules as they are now does not allow replacing that roadway.You have seen dumber things happen.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!