Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
zidaro

storm brought snow not rain to the Inyo range and East.  couple inches and should be fully melted out after today.
bikerjosh

Anyone know of the storm that hit yesterday did any other damage to the roads or surrounding areas?
thanks Josh
kate hawkes

Hotsoak sorry the weather got in the way - I am still hoping to make it Mon21/Tues22. but failing that Tepoca.. in Nevada right? I am not interested in the resort and found this dear little bitty concrete pool out on the plain below some little town and also parked and walked out to a very hot soaky  area. is there a another place? looking forward to next round of reports on the Sth P.
Salt Peter

Ah the ~50MPH days of South Pass...seems like yesterday
[crazy]
James Sel

When driving the south pass Air down them AT tires. When on the salt flats the ruts are to the east stay close to the mountains. I miss the days we could do 70mph on that valley floor. Looks like the Toyotas are doing the trip no problem. M-benz and jeeps wellll
harpster

Went out on Sept 19, via South Pass. No problem with a Tundra & FJ Cruiser, but laborious. It is amazing how much material was moved by the floods! It would be rough going without a properly-equiped vehicle. By the time we finally got out there, darkness was falling, so we made camp and did not try to make it to the springs. After an incredible, full-moon evening, we retreated to Shoshone and enjoyed the spring-fed swimming pool.  
Hi Desert Warrior

Just came back from Saline by way of the south pass.  For me, never again will I travel the south pass.  Years ago I travelled the south pass twice and had two flat tires.  First with 4 ply and second with 8 ply.  This last time on going in on Monday I broke a shock on the rear drivers side, it broke in half and was dragging from my jeep.  My fault,  I was doing a little over 35 MPH on the valley floor near the salt works and looking ahead and not directly down in front of me, I didn't see a rut until it was too late to hit the breaks and went airborne.  When I came down the shock broke.  Being that close to the springs I continued on and made it.  For me the worse part of the road was from the turn off from the south valley road to the bat pole road.  At the beginning of the bat pole road for about 4 miles is mostly soft sand with one deep rut about 2ft deep 4ft wide and other side 2ft high.  The road is gone, but there are enough tire tracks to follow and in most places there are orange ties on the bushes marking the way.  I did the whole trip in on 2 wheel drive.  Crossing the sand, I kept the speed at  15 MPH without let up.  On the way out, I did use 4 wheel drive going across the sand area.  Using duck tape, I taped up the shock so it wouldn't drag and drove the jeep to Reno and had it replaced with heavy duty ones.  Since my Jeep was trail rated, I thought my shocks were heavy duty, wrong.  On the way into the springs, I passed a FJ cruiser pulling a large trailer.  They showed up very late in the afternoon and set up camp at the lower springs.  They made it over the large rut on the bat road, the other ruts on south valley were not as bad to get across, if your going slow, like I should have been but did not.      
hotsoak

Can't seem to catch a break from Mother Nature. With the approaching storm hitting on Wednesday looks like I will have to delay my run to Saline. North Pass is in sad condition and this storm might leave South Pass in the same condition. I'm loaded up and will probably head to Tecopa instead for a few days. If things look good weather wise, I'll back track and head into Saline on Thursday or Friday.

Robert
hotsoak

Excellent advice on trailer hauling into Saline. I've gone in several times with my Teardrop via the North Pass with no problems. I haven't used the South Pass for a number of years and really don't know what to expect after the storm damage. I'm heading in this Tuesday this time without my Teardrop in tow, just don't have the huevos this time around. I like the comfort the Teardrop affords, but it's time to go back to basics " tenting". I will give a full report on my return on road conditions to the springs using the South Pass. If anyone is heading in on that day you're more than welcome to tag along. I'll be at the Saline Valley Road off 190 right around 11:30 to noon.

Robert
paul belanger

A thought about hauling trailers to Saline.  As I have said in many past posts, we haul a 12' fiberglass travel trailer to Saline when we go.  I covered this story in a previous post but it seems worth repeating here. The trailer can fail even in good conditions.  We broke a leaf spring coming in south pass, right by the salt tram ruins.  The tire was rubbing against the body work and wouldn't have lasted a mile.  I took a motorcycle tie down, hooked it to the axle from the tongue of the trailer, jacked up the trailer on that side, click, click, clicked the tie down till the tire was off the body.  Drove carefully to the springs, Lee had a suitable loaner leaf spring in his parts pile.  He installed it for me.  We got it home just fine, had both leaf springs replaced, kept the old unbroken leaf for a spare, returned the loaner to Lee the next time we went out.

Route 66

Hotsoak, I have a small teardrop too and will be using South Pass in a few weeks.  Let us know how your trip goes with the trailer.  Have a nice trip!
Salt Peter

I think more people will be heading to Saline since it is prime season. The road conditions will filter out some riff raff but more people will be going there.
hotsoak

Hello Kate;

I'm with you about reading all the posts on this site about road conditions. It appears the South Pass is the best way into the springs at this time. From the readings the road is a little hard to follow in places, and some deep sand in some spots. It's my opinion that you'll make it in if you just take you're time. I'm still on the bubble if I'm going to journey in this coming Tuesday or not. The Toyota Tacoma 4x4 will make just fine, it's dragging the Teardrop trailer behind me that's my concern. It's also been indicated there are not many people out there because of the road conditions.

Good Luck !

Robert
kate hawkes

trying to work out how to post here.... been following this series and the great pics etc etc for ages and after reading GeoMitchs story of his van am moved the reply. Love the story - a movie for sure! Love the springs... hoping to make it there - well, it'd have to be this month. Not sure if my dear old faithful go anywhere 2000 Honda CRV could do it in current circumstances - although we have been in and out of N and S many times...But thank you all for the vicarious pleasures.
Sam D.

Oohh! I missed that. In any case, when I came to the springs on Saturday there were a couple of off-road bikes. One guy had some issues he was able to fix. He stayed at the Palm Springs and left on Mon.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!