Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
trigger

Unfortunately the 2 legged donkeys have been responsible for some incidents of theft there. Doesn’t happen too often luckily but once in awhile it does.
Macfly

I didn't realize two legged donkeys were a threat up there, naively I'd thought all back country types would be on 'scout's honor'.

trigger

RTIC coolers have spots on the front corners for pad locks. I have YETI brand sorry to say but they have the same thing for twice as much. Master locks at both ends and a steel Kryptonite cable keeps donkeys out. Both the 4 legged and the 2 legged type.
Sparky of SoCal

"Donkeys and coyotes."

My friends and I resemble that remark. I know for a fact we have never touched your coolers.

Sam D.

Donkeys and coyotes.
Macfly

What kind of critters are getting into your supplies?
Sam D.

Got 25+ bites from noseeums and other biting bugs. Your mileage may very as I am a magnet for everything that bites.

Speaking of invasive creatures... I will never come again without steel cables with locks to be wrapped around my coolers.
SilverBob

Michelle and I just got home from 4 days at the springs.  We didn't get any bites at all.  We were camped at Palm Spring, but we spent all day Monday on the lawn at the Lower Spring.  Nobody else mentioned being bothered by bugs either.  Apparently the hatch is over for this year!

We did see several scorpions, one rattlesnake and lots of lizards, so the "Hot Weather" critters are out and about!
Macfly

Ordered, thank you!
Sam D.

I would not postpone but definitely use this repellent freely.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004N59OFU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/188-5267631-4836739
Macfly

I was thinking of doing an early May trip, but that sounds like noseeum's main eating season, are they out day and night, or is there a time they are more active?

Are they bad enough to avoid the springs till later in the year?
Professor

I used the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus before and it worked great for me in various camping situations. Several weeks of camping and not one bite, so either it worked (at least for me), or I was very lucky. I was very proactive in spraying it on right on arrival.
Sam D.

The season starts mid-Feb and lasts until mid- or late May depending on the weather, precipitation, temperatures.
The adults breed when the weather warms up in the spring, usually in early or mid-May, and they remain a pest for several weeks.
When the soil begins to dry and cracks develop, the adults emerge. Only the females bite. Like female mosquitoes, they need a blood meal
to complete their reproductive cycle.

Obscene amount of this is almost as effective as Deet or Picardin based sprays for me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004N59OFU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/188-5267631-4836739

Stop once you make a turn to Bat Rd and apply your repellent. Once it took me 5 min to realize I needed to apply, so got over 40 bites in 5 min.

I also hung these coils in my car:
https://www.amazon.com/PIC-Twist-Mosquito-Repeller-Pack/dp/B008J25WN6

DVExile long time ago posted this link about Deet vs Picardin:
https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent

Soakin' Stu

Could anyone tell me when the "noseeum" season is at the hot springs? It seems like April might be safe, but Jan to March are pretty bad. Thanks!
tahoepoidog

Actually, those itching bites remind me of my recent stay in Saline, which tend to calm and sooth my soul.  Ahhhh, Saline ...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.