Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Salt Peter

Temps were great last weekend but the no-see-ums weren't. I got eaten alive!
Salt Peter

Good to know about the no-see-ums.
Were the temps dropping? The forecast is showing a decreasing trend this week. I'm planning on going out in a few days.
bobhuckaby

spent last 3 days at lower springs, temps in the 90's
the no-see-ums were present but not biting me and not very annoying so I never bothered with bug spray, some other people reported getting bit
Bob from Tahoe
bobhuckaby

just remember to shower the stuff off then run to soak with only the head net exposed
I'm going in the 28th so looking for an update on the bugs then
Bob from Tahoe
JayOtheMountains

Head to REI and get some Jungle Juice. 99% deet.

Mosquitoes, no-see-ums, ticks, and black flies love my flesh. I don't like that they like it. I've done trips to South Africa and all over Asia and with the high concentration deet at hand I have yet to be bitten while wearing it. The Cutter spray-on products work well too.

I'm heading out in two weeks for my first trip to Saliene  and I'll have the bug juice on, though I'll probably not go full-strength while soaking.
James Sel

I like to soak with a ton of deet sprayed on and a mosquito net on my head. I just drink the beer through the net.
mikeb

I had good results with "Herbal Armor"  a few years ago in March.  Does not  contain deet,  worked when a deet product did not work (don't remember what the deet product was or percent of deet it had).
SoCalSteve

Deet makes a good paint stripper too, but until someone really figures out something that works...
Sam D.

Obscene amount of this is almost as effective as deet based sprays for me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004N59OFU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/188-5267631-4836739

I also hung a couple of twist-it mosquito repellent spirals in my vehicle
http://www.pic-corp.com/twist-it/

Do not forget to spray your hair. My scalp is a mess now.
SilverBob

I buy whichever product has the highest concentration of DEET in it.  There's still nothing that's been shown to work as well, even after 70 years in the market.  Just keep it away from open wounds or irritated skin and you'll be fine.  No, it doesn't smell very good, but that's why we have showers!

As soon as someone invents or discovers something that works better, I'm sure we'll hear about it.
Smiffy1892

heading in end of the month - thanks also - any recommendations on bug juice?
SoCalSteve

Yeah thanks, headin up the 26th.  Those little buggers chased me out of a few spots in Utah before.  
SilverBob

Thanks for the heads-up!  We're planning to arrive on Friday, so we'll pack the bug-juice.
Salt Peter

I hate those effing things
Sam D.

Never seen anything like this - I was eaten alive. I highly suggest bringing all kinds of sprays and using them all.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!