Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
SunMan

We got chewed on pretty good but nowhere near 100 bites. Bad up in Hunter Canyon too.
P3Tacco

We were camped up by Wizard pool, but we got swarmed at the Bat Rock road junction and also (of course) in McElvoy. You just don't notice the damn things until it's too late, I guess that's why they are called no see ums!  I did put on the Deet, when I remembered...
Salt Peter

P3Tacco where were you camped? I get bit all the time too.
[frown]
P3Tacco

Just got back.  They were brutal. I must have 100 bites. Mosquitoes are so much easily dealt with!
peneumbra

I'm repellant enough to keep insects away without spray...
Sam D.

I am an ultimate insects attractant. I got them all and also brought some home in my wet clothes.
Terawanderer

Good to see you again Sam D.  I was at the springs fri through sunday....only 2 bites with no repellent.  Just my two cents....
Salt Peter

Not good news. Thanks for the heads up. [frown]
Sam D.

Stop once you make a turn to Bat Rd and apply your repellent. It took me 5 min to realize I needed to apply, so got over 40 bites in 5 min.
DVExile

I'll add this relevant link describing the difference between DEET and Picaridin:

http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent/

Note especially that it states Picaridin appears to be more effective against no-see-ums than DEET.
Sam D.

Consumer reports came up with this list of repellents:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/mobile/ratings/products/category/34772.htm
Salt Peter

No-see-ums are biting midges and are quite small. They are different than black flies.
[thumb]
tahoepoidog

I wouldn't call them no-see-ums, as you can, see them.  Anyways, those little black biting flies were nasty when we arrived around 3/19, but a couple of ?indy days seems to have blown most of them out, at this time. They may be back in full force by now, I don't know.
trigger

No-see-um update. They were bad over the weekend of 3/12/16. Worst I've ever seen. Had to continuously apply bug spray and lotion. My fiancé still got bit up. We used ultrathon spray and lotion which worked for me. The brand OFF with 100% DEET did not.
VegasNaturist

The gnats weren't bad this past weekend. They were annoying my ears a little in the morning, but I sprayed a little bug repellent in my hand and rubbed it on my ears and neck, and they left me alone. Surprisingly, they left my wife alone! She's the one that usually gets eaten alive! BTW, great pot luck...

John
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!