Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
PahrumpGeorge

The longer the NPS review process takes the better.
However, I am disappointed that SPA is not included in their internal review process, but will only have input during the public comment period.
Once again, I believe that NPS has shunned SPA.

Here is hoping for the best outcome.

Happy soaks.
P. G.
sunny okanogan

thanks so much, please keep updates posted so comments can be from us can be included in any scoping . 
S.D

Big Jeff

I received this EMAIL today from DEVA HQ.
Looks like we are safe for another season but maybe we should start preparing for the public comment period and beyond.

"Good Morning Jeff,
We are in the process of an internal review of a second draft of the EIS. Once that review is complete there will be a review with cooperating agencies like the BLM, Inyo County, US Fish and Wildlife and the Timbisha Shoshone Tribe.  After that point the document will be released for public comment and public meetings will be held. I  expect that the cooperating agency review will happen before the end of this calendar year. I estimate that the public comment period could take place in March-April. However, that is not a firm date.
Thanks for your interest in Death Valley National Park!
Jonathan
-- Regards, "

tronaborn

Is the Draft Management Plan for Saline Valley completely stalled at this point?  Hasn't been a peep about it in as much as a year.

Andy
Captain Yarry

Thank you Big Jeff.  I was just combing through the forums trying to get an update on this, and your post really helped me.  Appreciate it a lot.

Strange, how the inefficiency of bureaucracy is actually working for us this time, no? 
Big Jeff

I talked with a contact at Park HQ and found out that the next round in the Warm Springs EIS process 
has been delayed due to an incomplete report from the contractor conducting the cultural and historic assessment.  This has resulted in a three plus month set back on the EIS. Also HQ does not anticipate
the Draft EIS to be ready until some time in 2016 ( no time frame available)so we MAY be safe with the current status quo for this season.
tronaborn

Seems like we should be hearing about the next round of the Saline Valley Management Plan at some point soon.  Does anyone have information about when they will release it?  Thanks in advance.

Route 66

Just read this article about the search for a new Superintendent for D.V.  Don't know if this will be
good or bad for the Saline Valley planning process now underway by Park Management??

Death Valley boss leaving? | The Inyo Register

Hi Desert Warrior

No panic, don't know the meaning, just a thought.
Big Jeff

HDW

A search of the Timbisha website shows that they are looking for someone to monitor the water resources on their trust land so no need to panic and the springs are not part of that. Further searching will lead you to descriptions of those lands, try "Timbisha Tribal Trust Lands" if you like reading Gov stuff. As for the Parks desire for water quality we will have to wait and see, but I think one of Major Tom's discussions gives us an idea of what they may want, so we may need to feed the fish more and the cockroaches will go hungry.
Hi Desert Warrior

I am sure your right.  I have very limited knowledge of what goes on in the Furnace Creek area.  I was basing my thoughts on one of the proposals that was presented for comment by NPS. 
SilverBob

I'd be very, very surprised if that position had anything to do with Saline Valley.  They're probably wanting to monitor the water at the Timbisha Village, south of Furnace Creek.  The tribe has been coveting the water from Cow Creek for a long time, and if they "found" their water source to be suspect, they might have more leverage with the NPS to get some of it.

I have no concrete evidence of this plan, I'm just piecing together a lot of things that I've been told over the years by several people I trust.
Hi Desert Warrior

I just found out yesterday that the Native American Tribe in Death Valley has put out help wanted for Water Sanitation monitor for a year term.  I wonder if this has to do with monitoring of water quality at Saline Valley Warm Springs?  Why would the Tribe be responsible for that duty when the National Park is the one that has brought the subject up but dose not want to enforce it?  The Park was trying to get volunteers or the camp host to do something that has never been done in the past history of the Springs and has no merit.
Sam D.

Hi Desert Warrior, I think she played you.
XPBC

Too bad these superintendents aren't elected by the constituents.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!