Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Stimpy

Thanks all who provided help. I ended up changing my plans due to the washer board on Racetrack and Death Valley Road round to Eureka being such that my trapped nerve in my arm went ballistic.  So I never got across to Saline Valley. Instead I had a couple days day cycling and hiked up Ubehebe Peak, Eureka dunes plus some MTB in Kyle Canyon outside Las Vegas.  I did camp at Homestake Drycamp, Mesquite Springs and Eureka Dunes, finally driving around via Lone Peak to Panamint Springs for a cycle over to Stove Pipe Wells and back.  On my way out of Eureka Valley I got a flat but lucky it was a slow one.  Lovely area, I was surprised to find that many access roads and camp grounds were still closed to folks in the Panamint Mtn region, so my plans within plans kept changing!
TopoDcat

Stimpy I'm betting that the run down from steel to springs is in pretty good route finding shape, judging on hear-say of how much truck traffic has been thru. should be a fun trip. 
Stimpy

MTH, I am leaving options open for Eureka to Homestake via Lippincott quite open after reading a couple of blogs suggesting conditions may dictate sleeping at Steele Pass and/or camping south of the springs near the Ecological Reserve. That would certainly shorten the Lippincott day climb.  It's all an adventure for sure.... I was perusing aerial shots of Steele pass and it looks like I could be faced with some tricky route finding too what with all the washes to cross.
genocache

Simon,

As a bike tourer and someone who has been over Steele Pass in a 4x4. I have been considering this kind of a trip lately. I think that the worst part will be the sand at Eureka Dunes. It is my feeling that from the Dunes to the Springs would be a 1 day ride. Although camping at the Marble bath would be nice! A climb up from the dunes on a sand track to Dedekera and then the road is (usually!)good from there to Steele Pass, from there it is all downhill. Rocky surface.
   Doable on a full suspension mtb, but better on a fatbike.

The ride from the springs out on the Batroad is also sandy. You might consider making it a 2 day ride once you leave the springs back to Homestake. Day 1 to the bottom of Lippencott(going that way?) or up as far as you want on South Pass and then doing the rest of the climb in the morning. There is water in some of the canyons of the Inyos.

HTH
bobhuckaby

the lower springs water is posted "non potable" because it has not been treated, I know many people who drink it with no ill effect
bob from tahoe
JayOtheMountains

I have consumed the water (within the past three months) non-filtered and didn't experience any adverse side effects. Drank it from the sink at the lower springs.

</just sayin'>
Seattle Mitch

Oops. Directions screwed up. The artesian well is south of the cutoff

There is an artesian well at about 1 mile off the saline valley road (north of the cutoff to the springs). Water also typically flows via a waterfall year round up in pat Keyes canyon. The water at the springs filters really well as it is not turbid.

I will have a water filter. At present I've no idea where portable water is along Steele Pass or in Saline Valley except for the springs. Seems people still bring in water rather than or along with drinking the local water there.  
Seattle Mitch

Why don't you just bring a water filter?

Thanks Sam D.

I intend to have around 1.5gallons of water on the bike for each day hence my water drop off drive the day before I start.

As you suggest, can anyone reading this do me a big favor and toss an extra 5 litres (1.5Gal) of water in their truck and leave it at SPA for March 6/7th? So that I can do the road back to the Racetrack with fresh water?

I'd be very grateful and will return the favor with a big smile and naked Scottish song and dance routine (I do promise however not to play the bagpipes - trust me you don't want me too and second as I don't wear anything under my kilt you won't be seeing that either - the kilt that is).

Just to make things difficult I'm actually heading off home Feb 18th until Feb 28th, my folks house is in the hills around Deeside in Aberdeenshire with typical Scottish internet access is crap at best so responding promptly will be a bit hit and miss - something to do with wet leaves on the lines or the fact we bury most lines underground where it's even wetter.

Thanks
Simon

Sam D.

Water at the springs was covered in this post a while ago:
http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1294226708&postcount=20&forum=168231

You might want to ask people in this forum to deliver a gallon or two and leave the water with the camp host.

Personally, I would not venture anywhere without 1.5 week supply.
Stimpy

Hi folks, looking for a little info about drinking water.

I've a week in DV from 3rd March, my intention is to bike-pack my way from Homestake Dry Camp east and north to end up at Eureka Dunes.  Then take the trails south to the SPA before heading back east to Homestake.  All assuming that the trails are open and weather co-operates.  Doing this solo means I hope to do a car drive around to Eureka and drop off some water bags there and also along the way before I begin riding... 1 gallon is ok to ride with but 2 gallons will be a pain.  Now I'll not have been able to do a water drop between Eureka and SPA and I consider this could be a two day ride.  Arriving at SPA then I'm gonna look like a dried prune, skeletal and probably about to have kidney failure.  So, at last my question..... is there any water source between Eureka and SPA or is there ample drinking water at SPA to take away?

Comments, opinions greatly appreciated.
Simon

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!