Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Salt Peter

I'm with you on the silence. I sometimes use a small bluetooth speaker in camp and worry if it bothers anyone. My last trip I asked my closest neighbor if he heard my music and he said no. I don't need it to overwhelm me or anyone else. Just a little ambiance for my ears only. One of my best memories was sitting out on a fairly windy night watching the milky way while listening to tunes in my headphones. I was the only person who needed to hear it. The springs ebb and flow that is for certain.
tronaborn

Y2K was something that will never be repeated, I'm glad to say.  It was fun, but having people rolling in at night trying to set up camp among the creosote bushes within inches of my tent was not my idea of a good time.  Also, I know you're being hyperbolic wth your count, Pen, but you've overstated the crowd by a factor of about 30.

Also, zdon, I like your tone and message here.  Things change and we share contempt for amplified music.  My silence doesn't interfere with their music the way their music interferes with my silence.  That's one of the reasons I usually come out in the middle of the summer, when the penalty for tire problems can be death.  Thanks for that, z.

peneumbra

The wildest New Year's "event" I can recall was the YK2000 throw down. Approximately 17,000 partiers, torchlight parades, beer flowing like… beer. Sort of a cross between Burning Man and a Nazi Party rally, but in a good way. If the Civilized World had in fact come to an end that night, I doubt that anyone in attendance would have known. Or cared.

And, really, everyone was fairly respectful. Even the dogs got along, which speaks well of the concept of social butt-sniffing. True, there were a few "hostile terminations," but folks calmed down immediately after the severed heads of the violators were positioned on the poles around the Crystal Pool...
zdon

it was my 7th new years out there (20th year overall) and it seems like the new years crowd increases just a little bit each year.  I consider myself sort of a young old timer (my hair isnt grey yet).  I think many of us prefer Saline when its empty and quiet, but this just isnt gonna happen over the New Years holiday.  In spite of the higher population i think it was a fantastic time...seems everyone got along and had fun.

You guys mentioned some of the annoying things that happen out there when 100 or so people are "intruding" at "our" hotspings ...  Some of this stuff is inevitable with so many people (loud drunks in tub late at night), some has been going on for years (fireworks), some is just annoying (random dog licking stuff in my camp...although it was a very friendly and cool dog).  But on the positive side, I saw new younger members of the Saline community gridding thru the desert picking up trash, I saw them help clean wizard pool, and I never once heard amplified music (my personal #1 annoyance!).

If we as Saline people are hoping that "the community" will regulate itself, we need to recognize that the members of this community are changing.  Some of the awesome old farts arent coming around much anymore (Mojave Bob was a notable absence this year), and there are many 30-somethings that im recognizing out there from the past 2-3 years.  I think we all need to do a better job of bridging this gap between the old and young farts, the veteran Saliners and the noobs.  It can be difficult to share knowledge or correct someones actions in a positive way without seeming like an asshole.  If someone is really screwing up, maybe its fine to be an asshole...but usually this approach doesnt work!  I can say that my approach at Saline to building community, to learning from the old and teaching the new, is to first bring people together.  We're all there for the same reasons.  Lets drink a beer, stand by a fire, share some food.  Thats when we can get everyone on the same page. 

That and lets allow the roads to get worse, seems like a simple money saving solution that will keep the Saline population lower and reduce future potential problems!
peneumbra

"Gnome-Body Knows
De trouble I've Seen…"
luckypabst

Seems like "the community" wasn't there to self-police. They would have been overrun anyhow, though it's hard to ignore the grumpy naked garden gnomes when they get fired up.

I've noticed a general falling out in hot springs etiquette as a new generation of users have discovered the lifestyle, not only in Saline.

(I hope to achieve garden gnome status in the years to come)

Chris
peneumbra

We never did have these problems back in the days when we still had the gallows behind the Wizard's Pool...
Salt Peter

Lee was supposedly gone during the holiday. I don't know for sure since I didn't go looking for him. I'm certain this wouldn't have gone on with George and Ria as seasonal hosts at Palm Spring.
DVExile

These holiday weekends are getting more and more out of hand.  Some folks claim "the community" can manage the springs better than the NPS but the fact is "the community" is completely failing at keeping a lid on behavior at these long weekends.  It won't be long I expect until the NPS sends LE out for one of these weekends and I shudder to think what the fall out is going to be.  Fingers crossed the inevitable happens later rather than sooner...
Salt Peter

I'm with you pabst.
Don't forget the drones.
The dogs at first kinda pissed me off but two of them in particular grew on me. I was however dumbfounded at seeing all the non-native, non-human, scat. Way too much. Irresponsible dog owners give them all a bad name.

luckypabst

It was the busiest NYE I've experienced and every single person I met was fantastic. Heavy on noobs, few old guard. I love dogs and fireworks... but there shouldn't be 5 dogs running free at the Wizard, ever; nor should there be random dogs making their rounds through camp. And the fireworks were absolutely too much for a place the NPS would rather close. Also I've never seen so many misplaced underpants. I miss Georg & Ria.

Don't get me started on the chainsaw or the kids temper tantrum. I think I'm becoming an old fart.

Sounds like leaving via Steel Pass was the bees knees. I hope nobody got caught behind the airstream.

Hoping the roads are screwed and the air is cold next year...

Chris
peneumbra

No one here. Footprints of very large reptile-like creatures visible around the springs and adjacent areas. Checking now to see wh--
Myion

Im rolling in solo a few days after X-mass. leaving 1st or 2nd.
jynxx1970

Hey there Don I missed that oh boy yeah good entertainment his stories go on and on and on
bobhuckaby

chilly nite but fun

Attached Images
jpeg saline_NYcampfire.jpg (238.60 KB, 73 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!