Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Major Tom

A reminder to all, there will be a memorial service for Ron this Saturday, March 9, starting at noon in Keeler. This will be followed by a potluck at "the Building" in Lone Pine starting about 1 pm. (the building is the newly remodeled old bakery on main st next to the pizza parlor.)

Jukebox Mark

I am writing  to ask for a few minutes of your time to share your stories about Neptune Ron, who passed from our extended family recently. At the end of the movie " The Last Samurai" the emperor asks Tom Cruise 's character to tell him how the last samurai died. Tom's memorable response: " Let me tell you how he lived." Neptune Ron touched the lives of so many of SPA's members that I am sure it would provide the basis for a great tribute...with your help.

As one of the newest members of the 'tribe' I barely got to know Ron at all. But I have a feeling that my two anecdotes are illustrative of his spirit. Sitting in the kitchen at Christine's last year, I got to be a fly on the wall while Big Mike was talking with Ron about what a great dancer Ron's wife had been. As Ron's eyes glistened, I knew in an instant that here was a man who had loved his wife deeply, the same way I love mine. He had my respect in a heartbeat.

In the evening, he was content to sit in our circle, listening to the rest of the musicians entertain the group. But as fate would have it, he sat next to me. Now in my world there are two kinds of people: people on the dance floor dancing, and people on the sidelines watching. My heart told me that Ron was a 'dancer' in his own way, like his wife, not a watcher, so I tried to offer him a tambourine. He said his hands hurt too much to play it.

I don't give up easily though, so I offered him my wife's brand new djembe that she had just got the week before the party. He tried to defer, but when I showed him how easy it was to play, he took it. He played with us for one song, then tried to give it back to me. I told him to try just one more song.

During the second song, he started to smile. When the song was over he looked at me again, and I knew that he had really had enough. But there was something else. There was a gratitude there, for I had helped him to do something he really WANTED to do, because, right up to the end, he wanted to contribute something to the tribe, and he had.

It is in this spirit I will remember the spirit of Neptune Ron.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution