Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
XPBC

A few of us got beat up by noseeums over St Patty's and the gnats were bothersome to say the least.  We finally broke out the Jungle Juice and problem solved.  I believe the farther away you camp from water the less bugs.  Once in mid June the horseflys and bugs in general drove me away not the heat.  On the way out I drove out to the end of Chicken Strip just cause I never have and there were absolutely no bugs out there.
drmoreau

Great idea to use a plant-based repellent instead of petro-chems.  Much better for the spring water too I assume.  I have an REI only an 8 mile bike ride away so will pedal off a few nachos and pick up some Euco-based spray.  Might even share with the Burros if they behave...
Sam D.

Deed free Lemon/Eucalyptus insect repellent by Repel works great against all kinds of Saline insects.

http://www.amazon.com/Repel-94109-Eucalyptus-Natural-Repellent/dp/B004N59OFU

I get bitten at all times.  Summer adds really nasty horse flies. They bite and won't let go even under water.

drmoreau

Thanks for the road reports one and all.  Regarding biting insects: do they usually subside in April?  I know this is an unusually dry year, so global weirdness is making it a bit harder to predict.

Thanks guys and gals for some advice.

Dok
bmxmtbman

Correct. I only rode it 6 times in the last week. If you leave the eureka dunes, in eureka valley, California, and travel towards the springs, in Saline Valley, California (westerly direction) you will drive thru deep sand from the Eureka dunes to 1/2 a mile short of Dedeckera, in which are locates several small bedrock steps. I generally refer to that entire 24ish mile section of road as Steele Pass, although there is indeed a high point which is the true pass. Am I being confusing?
Salt Peter

Steel Pass is east of the Springs as you head to Eureka Dunes. As you head up the wash a rocky section is encountered and a few turns are made. Just near the marble bath is Steel.
bmxmtbman

Traveling from the dunes to the springs it would be the section starting at the dunes and extending about 1/2 a mile short of Dedeckera. That's the only sand.
Salt Peter

It sounds like you are describing Dedeckera Canyon.
bmxmtbman

I think the worst part of Steele in a 2wd would be the part below the steps in the canyon before the dunes. There is a steepish hill with deep sand. The 2wd would be fine(ish) on the rocks and steps, but the sand could really bog you down. Yea, still feeling the effects from the little monsters.
Salt Peter

Steel was sandy? I was up that way in January and it was rocky, far from sandy. Midges=No-see-ums. Same bugs. Never had problems with them at the springs only down near Squaw Rock. They are bastards and their effects are felt for over a week usually.
WaltM

The Suzuki & KTM would be wonderful bikes to explore the valley & beyond.  My bike is the tradeoff I have to make to do the 250+ miles from LA.   Good luck with the new KTM, I'm envious.
bmxmtbman

I'd say up to 90 during the day and upper 40s at night. Maybe warmer at night, I was half out of my sleeping bag. There was a crew around; maybe 30 people or so. The bugs were what I have always known as midges. No see ums? Nasty little critters. They were everywhere. Palm springs, main springs, and on the valley floor. I was also blown away by the guy in a Civic. He did have BFGs mounted. I have seen stock civics drag themselves down Lippencott. I agree with your comment on Steele. Too sandy. But I guess if you air down and don't let up you could make it. The car is very light. People do the Dakar race in 2wd cars. I will probably never try, but I like watching other people. Ill take my adventure on my moto. Walt, I think I saw you roll in. Wanted to talk about your bike, looked badass. We left friday as well. I could see how Lippencott could be tough on a loaded GS. We were ok, me on a DR 650 and a buddy on a KTM 525. Shortly I will be investing in a KTM.
WaltM

I left springs Friday morn and headed up Lippincott.  1/4 mile down the road came a Ford Focus who unbelievable had come down the hill.  His front spoiler and a few other parts I found on the way up.  I stopped & turned around about 1/2 mile from the top, I'm getting to old to throw my loaded down '91 BMW R100GS around on that steep & boulder strewn top section. I was disappointed, only Swansea road had stopped me before.  Weather was nice, maybe a tad warm.
Salt Peter

Thanks for the quick report.
I have a hard time believing a civic could do most of those roads. Maybe a built subie but not a civic. Driver skill and knowledge does play a big part but it isn't the whole enchilada. The weather is heating up. Last night around midnight the NOAA site reported 80F. What were the day/night temps when you were there? When you say bugs, what kinds did you encounter? I know down near squaw rock the noseeums and biting flies are prominent. Bites from that area have remained for over a week after visiting.
bmxmtbman

Just got back from a week in Saline. Drove N. Pass two times. Super mellow, fast and good to go. Steele two times, best I have ever seen it. Lippencott once, a little rough. Sort of crummy, but negotiable in most any vehicle. S. Pass once; tedious, but not really bad. Met a dude in an 89 Honda Civic who has driven all routes, in that vehicle. Emphasizes for me that it's about the driver, not the car. Any vehicle can do these roads with minimal fuss and bother, just don't screw up. We had a Tacoma and a single axle trailer. We went in North, came out South. Rode motorcycles all over, did Lippencott on those, as well as Steele. Also made it to the Snowflake Mine. That was interesting.

Incredible weather. Good times. Nasty bugs.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution