Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
siouxsie998

I went up with a friend in early May of 2013 after not coming out for quite a few years. I simply could not believe my eyes. The flood smashed almost all the small trees and shrubs. We simply walked up the creek bed over the existing flattened vegetation, which was coated and packed in mud.  In my previous 25 years hiking up MacAlvoy Canyon; it had never been so easy to go up and around the first fall.  I wished we had more time to hike up farther. What the flood[s] acomplished was profoundly as amazing as it was devastating to see what mother nature had accomplished. The trail that went up on the left was washed away in places. How ever the way everything was smashed down and buried in mud one could never so easily have hiked up that creek. Returning again the following November and than again in spring vegetation was slowly coming back to life. I do believe that the fall was at least trickling each of those times.
trigger

There is water flowing through the canyon and over the falls. Did the hike on 12/9/14. Lotta lush vegetation.
Wombat

Thank you so much for the update. The butterflies sound amazing!!!!  Hopefully we will have a little time to go up there and look!

Thanks again!!!! 

lighthawk

We visited McElvoy canyon on 11/10 and hiked to the first falls.  The devastation from the floods is evident with all the tree trunks and cut banks in the last several hundred yards.  The lower falls were flowing, off the right hand ramp.  Drips were coming off the green wall with hanging gardens, which is scoured below 20' high where the flood must have reached.

Special note:  monarch butterflies were everywhere and we saw several coupled pairs flying and resting on the brush.  Mating monarchs!
Wombat

Thank you for the information. Going back to my original post, I am curious as to if there is flow at the lower falls.

Run-O

Wow! Thanks for the info, I'll have to go check it out again next time.
DVExile

Cleared out again with the summer 2013 floods. Lower falls scoured to bare rock and I considered them impassable without gear. But I am a wimp. Whole canyon bottom nearly wiped clean to the mouth, you can walk right down the center now. Even after the 2012 slide the lower canyon was choked with growth. Not anymore. There were giant willow trunk logs down on Saline Valley Road itself. 2013 was quite the gully washer! I hiked it in March 2013 and Nov 2013. The difference was amazing.
Wombat

I have not been up there in a while and I know that by November of 2012 it was washed out. Sometimes nature makes things better over time and other not, so I was curious as to what the current condition is. I may want to take a few folks up there, but have limited time in the Valley this tip and do not want to waste it on a “dud” if I can avoid it.

May go over to Hunter, if there is flow there. Waterfalls are always a big wow thing.

If not Craig is a possibility for the beauty of it.

Run-O

I think Salt Peter may be referring to my girlfriend and I (not sure though). We were camping at the middle Palm springs for a few days this past weekend and we hiked up Craig Canyon.
The last time I went up McElvoy was November 2012 and if I remember right, there wasn't much of a flow at the first waterfall (maybe just a trickly at most, I don't really remember, I'll have to check my photos again).
I do remember that the canyon was hardly recognizable from the previous time I hiked it, back in April 2011.
Things may have gotten better (or worse) with the major floods from 2013, not sure. In any case, it's not a very long hike to go check it out [smile]

On the other hand, Craig canyon was quite nice (very nice narrows towards the end, about 2 miles in) and we made it past the 3rd impassable fall (as described in Digonnet's guidebook) using climbing gear.
Wombat

The last I had heard from someone I know that went up, in November 2012, the mudslide that year had ruined much and there was no flow at the lower falls, all the ferns were dying.  I saw a post on another forum for 2013, where the mess was still evident but they didn’t mention flow. I am trying to decide if it is work the effort to go up there. The little falls was so pretty.

Salt Peter

There was a young couple who were out hiking canyons in the Inyos this past weekend. Not sure which ones they did. Also not sure if they are members here.
Wombat

Anyone been up there in the last year or less? Did the flow start again?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution