Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Salt Peter

Thank you for the update Mark.
Jukebox Mark

Superintendant Mike Reynolds came to the Public Lands Roundtable meeting in Ridgecrest last Thursday, along with 3 Park Service associates, to give us an update on what is going on in the Park. I didn't take a lot of notes, but here are a few highlights:

1. He said visitation in the Park is up 30% from 2017 to 2018.
2. He said that 80% of the funds collected for the Passes that are sold in the Park get to stay in the park.
3. A substantial amount of the pass money, as well as money from other sources are currently going to be used to finish the repairs and upgrades on Scotty's Castle. Repairs include upgrades to the utilities on the property.
4. He said that a MOU has been signed with SPA
5. Ranger Flannigan said that a meeting to discuss implementation strategies at the springs is planned to be held AT THE SPRINGS sometime in the fall, but that no date has been set.

NPS signed the Record of Decision (ROD) on June 14, 2019

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectId=39438
paul belanger

I guess that’s why they need to get some type of official count going. Some people think the numbers are going up and some think the numbers are going down. What is the reality....
P3Tacco

1973 was the first time, but I did not go for several years at the time the NPS took it over. I thought it would be ruined but I was very pleased that it hasn't been.
paul belanger

P3T? How long have you been going to Saline? My experience, based on 30+ years, is numbers are heading down....
paul belanger

"The National Park Service presumes that the overflow camping area would be needed most during high-use weekends, such as Presidents’ Day and Thanksgiving. Area use maps depicting the zones of designated dispersed camping, overflow camping, parking for overflow camping, and no camping would be posted at the campground and would be available online. Visitors should arrive at the Saline Valley Warm Springs Area prepared with appropriate supplies and food storage in case they are unable to camp with their vehicles."

Page 318.

In it's context, it is indicated that this would be implemented on Thanksgiving and President's Day, and that the specifics would be posted online.  I hope I overreacted in thinking this would be the normal.  I was there on Thanksgiving this past year and it was definitely not even close to crowded enough to implement this draconian measure.  Maybe they are trying to discourage campers from going in these two weekends.  If it became necessary, I would hope the campers would start squeezing into the designated camping area, so no one has to camp away from their vehicle?

genocache

On that map it would appear that around half of the labeled Cool Pool Camping area is lost to the 100' camping buffer(blue circle).
JayOtheMountains

Based on the map I embedded above. The drive-in and dispersed camping areas are aplenty. I'm assuming (just assuming) that the area just uphill from Lee's compound at the lower springs - currently labeled for motorcycles/walk ins -  will be fenced off and thusly made just that. If the shaded areas of the map are correct, nothing has been lost as far as drive-in applicability.

I guess we will have to wait and see. But, I don't foresee a drastic change from what is currently available, it may get tight when there is a popular weekend, but probably not outside of what we currently see. 
SYNCRO

Paul, can you give me the page # where you resd that. Thanks
Salt Peter

I'm guessing it is a CYA clause from the NPS.
paul belanger

In moving through the entire report this caught my attention....”Visitors should arrive at the Saline Valley Warm Springs Area prepared with appropriate supplies and food storage in case they are unable to camp with their vehicles.” What? This blows my mind so completely. Why on earth would you drive all the way down there and then walk in? What about my four-wheel-drive camper that we built specifically for going to Saline? We need to be prepared to just park it somewhere and walk somewhere and not camp in the camper? I need to think about this.

This is somewhat crazy. I went back and read it again. That’s what it says. If that were true you will immediately need reservations for dispersed camping. Any enforcement whatsoever of this walk-in thing will immediately require reserved camp spots. That would end dispersed camping and create numbered campsites and a reservation system. I don’t see any other way. No one can be asked to drive all the way down there without knowing whether or not they can use their camping vehicles. The vehicle is the campsite.

It’s like a movie, one little mention of one little thing, can foreshadow the intentions of the denouement. And the government, like everybody else, tries to cover all bases.

paul belanger

Yes, thank you very much Jay. And, yes Snychro, where is the walk-in area?

Are there to be designated campsites? Or can as many set up camp in those areas as civility will allow?

I’m gonna go back and keeps slogging through the report. I only got to about page 120. Maybe the information we want is in there.
SYNCRO

Been slogging through the report. Still can't find walk-in camping areas. JOM thanks for your response. More will hopefully be revealed. :-)
JayOtheMountains

Syncro,

Found on page 183 of the management plan is an outline for the camping sites. Pretty much the same, except now includes a buffer around the Cool Spring/pool and the Burro Spring at Lower Springs. Pretty much the same, except now asking you camp 100' from any source (hot or cold). I don't know who will be policing it.

Screenshot_1.jpg   

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution