Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Major Tom

On the subject of firewood: an historical perspective in the Saline Chronicles series: https://timenspace.net/2019/02/02/the-art-of-firewood-in-saline-valley/

trigger

Starfish if this really happened stiff a call or an email to the park service law enforcement officers and request they speak with him about it. You don’t have to file a criminal complaint or report just have them warn him. Everybody makes a big deal about removing ashes from fire pits and here he is burning plastic and batteries? Burning property especially plastics and batteries is obviously bad all the way around. He’s still a campground host and has responsibilities whether he likes it or not. Obviously we’re only hearing your side so that kinda sucks but it seems to me your being truthful. Just don’t understand why someone wouldn’t confront him face to face at that moment and or report what happened to the proper authorities. Maybe it’s just me but if what you are saying is true that’s pretty screwed up what Lee is doing.
Sam D.

We do not know the condition of the flashlight. I’ve witnessed myself that crap stays in Lost and Found for months with black widows nesting in abandoned towels and swim trunks. We do not know if the flashlight was broken from falling or someone stepping on it. Perhaps the lenses were cracked. Perhaps LL did not even realize there was a flashlight when he grabbed all the drek that’s been there for months and dumped it in the fire.

Salt Peter

I thought LL needed batteries! Oh they weren't the specific type he needs. What a jackass to burn others belongings. He needs to go...but we should be careful what we wish for. He could go and not be replaced...then in the months with low visitation bad things could happen to our springs.
trigger

My understanding is that there are several people willing to live out there full time as the host. Law enforcement officers are still available during a shutdown. Burning somebody’s property without their permission is a crime. Losing ones property at the springs is not a free for all for others to keep, burn or otherwise destroy. As far as what good it would do I think it would discourage the behavior in the future possibly preventing someone else from having their property destroyed. Sorry you lost your headlamp. Good ones aren’t cheap.
powderbronco

ME !
trigger

Starfish, did you say anything to him??? I woulda been ripping him a new one! For sure woulda filed a complaint. Did you take any photos?
powderbronco

Seems like LL has outlived his usefulness at Saline ! So, SOO many complaints about this guy... Wasn't too friendly when I observed his presence.
timboeing

Yes, the account from Starfish is unnerving and just plain mean and undeserving of anyone's property. The whole reason for having a "lost and found" area is to reunite items with their rightful owners regardless of value.
Lizard Lee is not acting in the best interest of the National Park Service and should be held accountable for his actions. If you care enough to complain, I'm sure that the Park Service would be interested in his actions which are not serving them, but only Lee's.
Is this the kind of "camp host" (and I use the word "host" very lightly) what Saline Valley is representing?
It is actually embarrassing to say the least and shouldn't be tolerated under any circumstances. Please feel free to make your concerns known to the great staff at Furnace Creek so this doesn't happen again. Remember that this is a "VIP" aka "Volunteer in Park" position and beside general duties of caring for our treasured place, being a host shouldn't be so hostile to visitors seeking such a beautiful utopia that truly belongs to the general public and not Lizard Lee.
bobhuckaby

what starfish accounts Lee did is criminal and illegal, I am thinking how to seek justice about that.
bob (the lawyer) from tahoe
James Sel

Lee told the park he will be leaving in a couple of years a while back. It won't be long till this ends. In the mean time If I want to have a community campfire and there is no wood I'll bring a few pieces from my camp and start one. And next thing you know like mined people bring a few pieces to, poof a campfire....well sometimes it has worked. 

I'll be poring water on the next fire I see him light during the day as I tell him we are saving those for tonight.
sierramtnman

I had doubts about past reports of LL’s penchant for whiteman’s fire, but I witnessed it myself recently. It was around 3:00, quite pleasant and not cold, and a big fire was blazing and LL was enjoying it from a distance. I enjoy a nice fire too if I had cords of hardwood to keep warm, and I will admit that I made a few whiteman’s fire in my time, even started some with gasoline like a redneck. There is bit of pyromaniacs in some of us.
There weren’t much wood left in the stash and watching LL making a bonfire for his soak does seems a bit of waste. I know I am not bringing anymore wood in the future for him to waste.
James Sel

Yet people will not believe that Lee burns up the wood like that...smh
bagman

(Apologies for double-posting -- I hadn't seen the Lost-and-Found thread at first.)

I lost an olive green REI backpack on Lippencott Road January 4. Inside was most of my gear: sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, jacket, etc.

When we realized it was missing, we went back down on the road on foot looking for it, but we couldn't find anything on the road or in the gullies below. Did anyone traveling the road that day find anything? Any ideas where else I should post?

It's a long-shot, but I'd love to get this back. My whole kit was in there.

Thanks!

Nick
Oscar D

Lost iPhone 6 858476xxxx planningdesign at yahoooo . Com thx
Ll
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution