Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DVExile

Not telling you how to run your vacation, but it sure seems like Las Vegas is a heck of a lot easier than doing Mammoth.  Direct flights, usually pretty cheap instead of having to do a connection for Mammoth.  Sure Mammoth to the Springs is fast if North Pass isn't under snow, but if going in the South Pass then Las Vegas is nearly as close - and Las Vegas is closer to the rest of the park if you are exploring more than just SV or the NW parts of the park.  Plus you'll be in your vehicle and rolling way faster with a LV storage location than having to wait for shuttles and what not in the Mammoth area.

Anywho, if you do decide to give Vegas a look try Gerke's RV Storage.  For something like a Jeep for a few months he will probably give you a good rate since he can tuck a small vehicle like a jeep into a spot with a shorter RV.  They will park your vehicle for you and have it ready at any point in time you need it - check the battery and charge as necessary before hand.  Just call a few days in advance to say when you will be arriving, if after hours they will give you the gate code and have it parked right inside the gate.  Been using them for a few years now and quite happy.  But I'm usually swooping in for visits of a week at the most and so time is critical which makes Las Vegas the best option for me.  Since it looks like you are operating on the time scale of a month you have more temporal flexibility [smile]  But seriously, cheap direct flights into Vegas, rarely weather issues with Vegas, quick cab ride to Gerke's from the airport to a vehicle parked all charged and parked in one of their front spots and I'm on the road in a hurry.
Seattle Mitch

Thanks Big Jeff!  That looks promising.

Mitch
I heard the Fair Grounds in Bishop does winter vehicle storage also Doug's RV and then you could take the shuttle to Mammoth.  Not sure if they stop at the airport but it can't hurt to ask.
http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/welcome-esta
Seattle Mitch

Hi Saliners! Seattle Mitch here. I'll soon be driving down to DEVA for my annual winter adventure. I plan on being in the park from 12/19/14 through 1/5/15. I am hoping to find a location to store my rig (2001 Wrangler) so I can fly back to Seattle and return to the area for another trip in March.

There does not appear to be a rentable auto storage site in mammoth lake (which is where I had hoped to fly to/from).

Does anyone know of a storage location or would anyone be interested in making a little rental cash from letting me park my jeep on your property? I really would prefer not to have to store/fly out of Vegas.

Also would love to join others on trekking adventures! Feel free to contact me!

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!