Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Roland

To Follow up on and help drive home SilverBob's post……………..I went UP that road once in 2wd drive because I lost a front locking hub.  But going up is almost always easier and safer than down.  Made it OK but had a 4wd in front of me and behind.  That was a long time ago but that road is still pretty much the same.
I for one would not go down that road alone in a 2wd.  Even if your truck is short enough and turns tight enough to make the very tight corners.  Especially the left hand tightest one that leaves the passenger look down wishing they were on the other side of the truck.  If you were to misjudge a corner, or the front slid a little and put you too close to the edge,  there is no way you could back-up a light in rear end 2wd vehicle.  Trying to dig or pile rocks, etc., might very well put you even closer to the edge.
Another vehicle, especially a heavier 4wd behind you, with a chain or tow strap could maybe solve that problem.  Or there is always the old stand-by………Dig a Deadman, have something with you to put in the hole and maybe a single jack and form stakes to hold that something in the hole, and have a winch, come-along or High-Lift jack with you.
With all of that said carry 2 or 3 times as much water as you think you will probably need. Or, like my now much older and more conservative butt, MAYBE CARRY A SPOT.  
bmxmtbman

I stand corrected. I was thinking of the 2000-04 tacomas, which did have shorter beds on the 4 doors. You can make it either way, might be a little more exciting. I made it up in a 2wd dodge 2500 four door long bed, wouldn't really want to try that again much. 
Foz

2006 Tacoma, 4door 2wd, long bed (has 6ft bed).
SilverBob

Bmxmtbman,  my '93 Toyota truck, which began life as a 2WD, has a regular cab and a 6 foot bed.  Are you telling me that they added 2 1/2 feet of cab and sold them with a 3 1/2 foot bed?  I think not!
Salt Peter

What Toyota specifically is it?
bmxmtbman

The 2 and 4 door toyotas have the same wheelbase. They shorten the bed on the 4drs. As long as you are descending Lippencott you can make it with no damage or issues. 
Foz

Thanks! looks like I will take the long way around!
SilverBob

I wouldn't try it.  Your 4 doors mean a longer wheelbase than a regular cab truck.  There are several tight turns around a lot of deep drop offs on that road.  If you were to accidentally drop one wheel off, how would you get out with only 2WD?  If you didn't make it all the way down for some reason, it's a very steep climb to get back up.  It would be very difficult in 2WD.  If you do decide to take this route, arrange to travel with at least one other vehicle.  It's a long walk to anywhere if you get stuck.
Foz

I will be in the park in March and want to drive from Racetrack to Saline via Lippincott. I have a four door, 2WD toyota with high clearance. Park service says this is a 4WD only road. Would this truck be okay for Lippincott?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!