Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
randycan

I drove up Lippincott Road on Friday 3/25 and the Subaru wagon was already gone. Another 100 yards and he would have been home free. He must have been right in the area of the 20:00 mark on the video I took

N Igma

General info on Steel Pass, Lippincott, Hunter Mountain, and part of South Pass.  Anecdotal info on the North Pass and Grapevine section of South Pass. 

Ten of us went in on the 20th and came out on the 23rd.  For reference we were mostly in Rubicon JK's, LandCruiser 70's and 80's and my little Samurai.   Most of us were experieinced but we had several newbies who did just fine.  We even had a stock Durango make it over Steel Pass but that was probably luck.  It took a lot of spotting and rock piling.  A little lift and proper gearing would have helped a lot with him.

Roads are generally in good shape. 

We went in over Steel Pass.  No problems.  It is more technical than the other roads but is lower.  No snow.  No mud/  There are the tights spots around some boulders on the descent and the four steps at the beginning to navigate but the road is pretty much as it was two years ago.  Steel Pass road becomes somewhat hard to follow as it gets close to the springs.  Hard rains a few years ago really scrambled the boulder fields.  Be careful to watch for cairns and other markings.   We went out the Lippincott and through Teakettle Junction to Hunter Mountain.  Hunter mountain had snow and large mud puddles.  No one got stuck but I would be careful since it would ice up if done early morning or after dark.  We went out at sunset and it was clearly starting to get really cold on the summit.  We joined onto South road and headed out and stayed at the Boxcar camp. 

Some of the party went out the North Pass with no issues reported.  One of them was a stock Durango.  He did it after dark so perhaps th deep mud had firmed up.  In any event he posted no warnings and got out fine.  We did not do the Grapevine section of the south pass but no issues were reported by other drivers.  The valley floor is typical.  some areas of washboards but otherwise fast moving.

Weather was great for us.  Happy Holidays
Major Tom

Please post any up to date information on the Lippincot Road in this thread. Anything older than 30 days will be subject to deletion as we go along.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.