Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next
carexpert

Funny coincidence BiggSean, I guess that would be your FJ I was taking a picture of @ 25:37

BiggSean

Carexpert:

That was our group you encountered. The Dodge was driven by one of our club members, Tyler. I was the very tall guy driving the white FJ Cruiser. I'm glad to hear you made it up safe and sound. Here's a video that I took of the entire descent down Lippincott. You make an appearance in it! 

johnh

Just watched the Silver Canyon video - thanks for posting it. It looks a LOT scarier and steeper on the video than it seemed in real life!
carexpert

The talk at the springs this week of Lippincott being recently graded is incorrect. Nearby Hunter was graded.
Lippincott doesn't need any grading. Saw a well driven, full size, long-bed Dodge PU going downhill in a big group of vehicles this morning. Didn't notice if it was extra-cab or not.
If anyone in that group reads this: I want to say THANKS for waiting for me to get through the skinny parts and offering me, a lone biker, everything from ice cold water to donuts. You were all very kind!
SilverBob

I've towed our Teardrop Trailer up and down Silver Canyon a couple times. You'll have no problem either way as long as you have 4-WD engaged the whole way. That road gets a lot of traffic all summer long, and again during hunting season. I might venture to say that even a Camry could make it.
Salt Peter

The Inyo-Mono SUV Trails book by Mitchell states Silver Canyon is better done downhill vs. up due to the loose traction going uphill.
James Sel

Er Um Silver Canyon goes up not down.
JayOtheMountains

I've driven Silver Canyon twice. Once to get my daughter down in elevation fast due to a horrible onset of AMS on a dad/daughter trip a few years ago. And then, again for fun the following year after summiting White Mountain Peak. How does it really compare to Lippincot? I drive a stock Trailblazer, but consider myself very competent off road.
johnh

This weekend we drove Silver Canyon near Bishop. That road drops 6000 feet in about 7 miles (from up in the Bristlecone Pine Park down to Bishop in one long drop). At the end I was thinking "Lippincott is for wimps"! If you enjoy Lippincott you should definitely give Silver Canyon a try.
chrishaynesusa

They were Nissan Xterras.
gael

As a matter of fact, I don't wish any ill on my fellow man. But fourteen Nissan Pathfinders loaded down with thirty intrepid sunbaked suburbanites grinding up Lippincott Road like Rommel on his way to Tobruk is not "my fellow man". It's "rush hour", dammit! I'm calling it as I see it, Floyd.

I honor the careful preplanning of your trip. More ought to do the same. There's plenty who don't and pay the price. There's plenty who roll their rig down the gulch. There's plenty who get lost on a hike or drive and nearly expire. There's plenty who can't even change a flat tire or pour sand out of a boot. In fact there's just too damn plenty for a place like Death Valley. The plentitudes are upon us, Floyd, and I say run! Damn it all to hell run!

James Sel

Bob I bet they were following the GPS ....turn left in 100ft
Salt Peter

I don't think there are any ill wishes. I don't recall hearing about a bunch of wrecked Pathfinders but would like to see the pics too. I did see the Jeep on FB.
chrishaynesusa

Quote:
gael

Posted 03/30      #34
Great pictures. I would also have loved to see a few pictures of about 14 Nissan Pathfinders lying mangled and torn at the bottom of the switchback.

I guess I'll never understand the "Jamboree" mindset.

what kind of person wishes ill upon his fellow man ?
I planned that trip for months.
All persons prepared for over 6 months to ensure we had all the supplies necessary to have a nice time in the desert and not be a burden to our fellow travelers.
All persons on the trip were certified ham operators ready to lend assistance should the need have arisen.
All practiced tread lightly principles and brought porta potties and wag bags.
All persons brought extra gas so no dead vehicles were left in the desert.
I will look forward to meeting you on the trail someday and hope you have a better disposition.

SilverBob

But,,,but,,,but,, It said it was "Trail Rated".

Seriously, how the hell can you roll a vehicle off the Lippincott Road?  I can't wait to hear the rest of this story!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!