Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
BiggSean

I wouldn't attempt Lippincott Road with a Ford Explorer with 235 tires solo. 

Hard to say what it will look like now given the recent rain.
Salt Peter

E rated is what I run. Same with my friend who runs the same tires. So many trips to Saline without issue.
Don't forget Hidden Valley and it's mudpit when wet, think it is the Ulida Flat area if memory serves me right.
tronaborn

This is just my $.02, but I don't like P-rated tires in the desert.  Sidewall damage can happen in an instant and it is repairable.  D and E rated tires give a lot more comfortable ride than they used to be.
tonapah tom

very interesting, thank you for that info
SilverBob

You heard wrong.  Hunter Mountain Road is actually a fairly well maintained dirt road.  In the wintertime, there can be a problem with ice on a steep slope that doesn't get much sun, but it's a much better road than Lippincott.
tonapah tom

answers to the many  ?s racing  through my fevered mind
1 will be with another vehicle..never alone as i have millions of friends..
2 p235 tires.. new tires
3 yes have full size spare and can chage it..have repair kit and air compressor..
4 i have done considerable back country driving,many times into saline valley..over the whites once
  all over the inyos & up to crown king many times..
5 will drive very slow.. i  never drive fast..no hurry ..enjoy the ride..
6 will have no comm device except a cel phone,,usless i reckon..
7 many will know were we are. and will search for us if needed..
note ;have contractor friend in northern NV. he will send his large front end loader to recover my
        vehicle if neccessary. it has hugh 6' foot tires and a very large bucket, he can put the vehicle in
        the bucket and carry it out like a care package..he said about  $1200 including operator..
        hope i don't need it..
tonapah tom

never been on hunter.. i hear it is worse/rougher than the lippincott
Sparky of SoCal

235/75-15 I think are 27" tires. Thinking that ride is a little low to the ground. I would drive it down the hill if you let me drive your ride. Not sure I would drive it down if it was my ride. Depending on the time of year your going I'd backtrack and go over Hunter if the weather was right.
SilverBob

Scotty's Castle Road was still closed last time I went by there (3 weeks ago).
SilverBob

I don't know, I've never seen you drive.

Seriously, there are too many unknowns in your question.
1)  Will you be travelling alone or with another vehicle?
2)  Are your tires LT235x75-15s or P235x75-15s? Big difference between passenger car tires and truck tires!
3)  Do you have at least one full size spare tire and the ability to change it?
4)  Are you experienced at backcountry driving?
5)  Are you willing to take your time or are you in a hurry?
6)  Will you have a Sat Phone, SPOT Device, or ham radio with you?
7)  Will anyone else know where to look for you in case you don't show up at a certain time?
Others will probably come up with more questions.

While I think the "Lippincott legend" has grown a bit out of proportion to the actual difficulty of the road, it's still in a very remote location where the possibility of becoming seriously stuck or worse is very real.  If you have any doubts about your own abilities, then I certainly wouldn't suggest doing it alone.  If you're quite comfortable on rough, steep, rocky roads, and if you're confident in the condition of your equipment, and if you're not afraid of a little body damage, you might be able to do it coming down in an Explorer.

Remember; If you screw up, Miller's Towing will charge you between $3500 and $5000 to get your vehicle out and they're the only game in town!

Good Luck!
tonapah tom

Is the scotties castle road open yet??
tonapah tom

question? do you think we can make it down the lippincott with a stock ford explorer with 235x75 x15 tires..??
it would save us 4 or 5 hours in getting to the springs.after we  see the race track..
SVLuvR
Glad it's a national park. People stay long enough as it is.
Salt Peter

Came out Lippincott today. No snow. It has been several years since I've driven this route and it made for a very long day. Much rougher than I remember.

It has been a long time since I've been in DV proper and it is truly amazing. Still wish Saline wasn't a part of the park.
Borrisl

No snow on lippincott on 1/2. exited that way, was easily passable. Low tire pressure and went straight out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!