Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Dpsmedic

+1 on information if anyone has it. Thanks
GATO

Any further updates on Lippincott Road?  Pictures/Videos?  Impassable?
dautremont

The road is very rough, with several washed out edges that would be unadvised for a wide or full size truck.  Very high clearance with very good tires needed to get down the road, 4wd with 4lo, very high clearance, very good tires to get up the road.  Do not go alone, a very good chance to get stuck or a flat in a very difficult spot.  Biggest damage I've seen in many years.
Sparky of SoCal

Must be first major change in years.
kzymurgy

Almost impassable with what
dautremont

went down Lippincott last Friday, very rocky, almost impassable, would not recommend unless very good clearance, experienced drivers, very good tires.  don't go down anything you can't go back up...several narrow areas a full size or extra long pickup would have trouble, with washouts that threaten to pull you off the trail...
Dpsmedic

Here is a good time lapse (7 mins long from Nov 2017) of the entire Lippincott from top to bottom shot by a guy driving a suburban. He actually did not have to make the three point turn I thought he would on the one switchback. Conditions look the same as when I ran it in March 2018.

DVExile

Oh, and he is in an *Expedition* which is about the same size as a Tundra or F-150.  Lippincott routinely tackled by such vehicles.

I mentioned I once went down in an *Excursion* which is almost two feet longer than an Expedition and like a large F-350.  That did suck, but we made it with slow going and spotting. 
DVExile

Oh goodness, definitely don't go all the way back to Ubehebe from Racetrack and then take the highway!  I'm not sure of the conditions right now but that road to Racetrack from Ubehebe develops awful washboard and can be punishing on tires, suspension and your teeth!  No reason to do it both ways!

The others have already given you the right suggestion for an alternative to Lippincott - go over Hunter Mountain instead.  Beautiful drive, less scary than Lippincott.  If not clear the route from Racetrack is to double back to Teakettle Junction and turn right onto the road that goes through Hidden Valley.  That road continues up the east side of Hunter Mountain and then comes down the other side to meet Saline Valley Road right at South Pass.

Lippincott is pretty darn overrated as far as "scare" factor goes but that is all a personal thing.  Especially in a larger vehicle it can leave an inexperienced passenger wringing their hands a bit.  It has some rather steep sections as well that can make people nervous when going downhill.
Salt Peter

I wouldn't want to take an Excursion on Lippincott.
The Hunter Mountain route would let you see/drive new places without the stress and worry about Lippincott.
dautremont

Your Excursion will be a little tight but should be no problem if you take it slow, in good daylight, sun not in your face.  Keep in mind:  tires are super important - you do not want a flat going down Lippincot road. Street / p rated tires on that heavy a vehicle are likely inadequate on the rough sections.  Use low gear, slow and easy...
James Sel

Hunter mountain road wold be a better route than going back to the 190. Its really sweet up there and ifshelf/cliff roads give you doubts ...well look at a map preferably a good paper one.
Dpsmedic

totally your call based on your comfort level, skills, vehicle, weather etc.  I personally feel Lippincott is overrated in the fear factor.  You can always stop, walk in front of your rig, pick your line and drive through.  I did the exact route you are describing in March with just my girlfriend and I in my Jeep, no other vehicles with us.  Enjoyed the trip.  If you want, PM me your email and I can share more photos of the Crater to the valley floor so you can see what it was like

You could "fly" the trail in google earth and see where the switch backs are and the roadway if you want to gather more info,  Lot's of Youtube video of the trail as well.
TWintet
You all are gentlemen and scholars. I appreciate the advise, however, now I have a million dollar question. I was planning a 2 day trip out there and was going to to do Ubehebe Crater, tealkettle junction, racetrack playa, and all the stuff on the eastern side of those mountains on one day, and then cross over via Lippencott and see the Salt Lake and the Warm springs the next day. Now back to that million dollar question I was talking about. Should I a) not be a pussy and man up! Take Lippencott over and ride the wave of adrenaline and danger or b) play it safe; head back to the highway from Ubehebe and use the 190 to take me back southwest and pick up saline valley road from the highway. And as an aside, the spotter I was talking about is my girlfriend with no off road experience whatsoever. (Sometimes when I drive with her, I think she has no on road experience either, but I digress). Any other cool sightseeing options would also be appreciated. I know this is a thread about road conditions, but you guys are cool and know more about this area than me!
Sparky of SoCal

If I was new driving down that road in your rig, it would not be fun. To tense for the what registers on the fun meter.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution