Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Dpsmedic

totally your call based on your comfort level, skills, vehicle, weather etc.  I personally feel Lippincott is overrated in the fear factor.  You can always stop, walk in front of your rig, pick your line and drive through.  I did the exact route you are describing in March with just my girlfriend and I in my Jeep, no other vehicles with us.  Enjoyed the trip.  If you want, PM me your email and I can share more photos of the Crater to the valley floor so you can see what it was like

You could "fly" the trail in google earth and see where the switch backs are and the roadway if you want to gather more info,  Lot's of Youtube video of the trail as well.
TWintet
You all are gentlemen and scholars. I appreciate the advise, however, now I have a million dollar question. I was planning a 2 day trip out there and was going to to do Ubehebe Crater, tealkettle junction, racetrack playa, and all the stuff on the eastern side of those mountains on one day, and then cross over via Lippencott and see the Salt Lake and the Warm springs the next day. Now back to that million dollar question I was talking about. Should I a) not be a pussy and man up! Take Lippencott over and ride the wave of adrenaline and danger or b) play it safe; head back to the highway from Ubehebe and use the 190 to take me back southwest and pick up saline valley road from the highway. And as an aside, the spotter I was talking about is my girlfriend with no off road experience whatsoever. (Sometimes when I drive with her, I think she has no on road experience either, but I digress). Any other cool sightseeing options would also be appreciated. I know this is a thread about road conditions, but you guys are cool and know more about this area than me!
Sparky of SoCal

If I was new driving down that road in your rig, it would not be fun. To tense for the what registers on the fun meter.
Dpsmedic

+1 on DVExile recommendations. Just take it slow and plan your line with a spotter where needed. I think there are three tight sections as far as the road narrowing, but I found more than enough room. In this photo from March 2018, I was close to the wall in the narrowest section. Still good room. The road immediately behind me up around that corner about 300 yards away has been washed up a bit and will take some time to navigate through. The rest is fine.

Attached Images
jpeg E9108537-B843-4DD4-9AA2-A4D25C62EF35.jpeg (423.71 KB, 17 views)

TWinter
Thanks for the reply. I will have a spotter, so hopefully that will help. The main concern that I have from the various pictures and videos that I have been looking at is on the narrow portions there are a couple of tight turns where even some Jeeps have to swing wide and are right up against the rocks on the outside of the turn so as to not drop the inside rear wheel on some washed out portions. I had figured if a Jeep was right up against the rock then I would be dropping the back wheel for sure. And I don’t have a locking rear diff, Just a brake controlled system to limit wheelspin. Not worried about clearance or skid plates since I have those. Think something like maxtrax or similar products would eliminate the risk of loosing traction from dropping a wheel? Thanks for all the help and info guys! I’m new at this, clearly.
DVExile

Ground clearance and wheel base.  The Expedition is going to be a bit on the long side meaning in a few spots you will be doing multi-point turns and various shimmies.  With a longer vehicle it is really nice to have a passenger along who can get out and reliably spot you.

For reference I usually would get down in a Toyota Pickup in about 45 minutes.  When I brought someone else along with a Excursion (even larger than the Expedition) it took nearly two hours because of all the slow multi-point turning and spotting necessary.

So I expect you'll be just fine if you take your time and have an extra pair of eyes to guide you.
TWinter
Thanks DPS medic. So the issue is more of a ground clearance deal than all out rock crawling traction?
Dpsmedic

I think you would be ok. Have to do a couple of 5 point turns on a switch back or two. If you have good ground clearance and some skid plates there is one section a couple hundred yards long about mid way past the narrow sections which would take some route selection for anyone. There are some posts of folks doing it in full size pickups and a couple of trailers have gone down that I have read about. The photos below show the narrow section.
TWinter
So would I be going full retard if I wanted to go down Lippencott (from Racetrack to Saline Valley) in a 2015 Ford Expedition? It has all the off road goodies and Goodyear Wranglers but it’s also 20 feet long. You could probably fit an FJ in the wheelbase. Think it’s passable? From what I see on the various satellite images, it’s doesnt look too washed out like it does from some YouTube videos taken about 3-4 years ago, but that’s just an assumption at best. I’m adventurous and like a challenge, however I don’t want to die so I figured I’d ask here before throwing caution to the wind.
Salt Peter

Came into Saline via Lippincott last week. Several spots required some spotting and taking the right line. I think it has degraded since the last time I drove up it just over a year ago.
Dpsmedic

Came in on March 23rd.   Dry and in good condition after rains on 3/22.
Erik Hadinger

Went up Lippincott this morning to the racetrack Road is in good condition very passable. But yes you still need 4 wheel drive to go up Lippincott!
Randy

We came down Lippincott on the 4th of December and I found it in much worse shape than I have ever seen it.  Oddly enough I dissuaded a couple of folks from driving up it in their Subaru and 2 ladies who were trying to get to the Racetrack in their rental car.  Kinda makes me wonder how many people are tempting fate by trying to drive up that when nobody is there to tell them about road conditions.
P3Tacco

Here's the narrowest section on the road, first weekend in November. This is an extended cab F150 4WD. Pretty much a rock crawl above this point, I wish I had taken some photos of that!  It was definitely more difficult coming down than going up, just like climbing a mountain. I was very surprised by the large number of vehicles. 24254834_10208225503753716_2275410107282054882_o.jpg
billtal

We went down Lippincott Pass on the day after Thanksgiving on adventure bikes.  This is a steep, rocky descent that requires some experience.  We have smaller bikes that are mainly dirt bikes and they did fine.  We came on two larger adventure bikes that had dropped the bikes and were nervous.  We gave them a pep talk and they made it ok.  They said they were fairly new to off road riding.  We saw several 4WD going up, one was a 1962 International Scout.  They took their time and made it.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution