Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 8      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Dpsmedic

interesting story on some German travelers in DV 1996 which ended poorly for them. https://medium.com/@this.and.that/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans-companion-reading-79a7836d7c55
Sam D.

Every year I turned away 3-4 vehicles all carrying German tourists. I just wish to find the source of the info that makes them think it's an autobahn to the Racetrack in a small rental sedan.
I bet there is a German website somewhere that just gives directions without appropriate prep steps. I'll inquire the next time.

DVExile

Nah you did the right thing. We should always keep folks out of trouble no matter how clueless! I was just being tongue and cheek and a bit grumpy.
Randy

Now I'm sorry I talked them out of trying to go up but I don't think they could have made it and they would have caused a traffic issue when they were stuck in the rocks.  Oh well, sorry they showed up out there and made a nuisance of themselves. 
DVExile

The two in the Subaru showed up at the springs late that night and then blasted music all over camp for most of Tuesday. Said they were really excited to come back with a big group on a future trip. Honestly you should have left them to their fate on Lippincott.
P3Tacco

Randy, so true! We had to back up because there was a huge Chevy 4 door that was about a foot and a half wider than my F150. He couldn't make it past the narrow spot. Seemed like a smart guy, kind of, but he was just following directions to the Racetrack on his girlfriend's phone. He had never been there before and wasn't going to the springs. Hadn't even heard about the springs in fact, so I did not mention them further. It really is surprising that more people don't get in trouble on Lippincott.
Randy

We came down Lippincott on the 4th of December and I found it in much worse shape than I have ever seen it.  Oddly enough I dissuaded a couple of folks from driving up it in their Subaru and 2 ladies who were trying to get to the Racetrack in their rental car.  Kinda makes me wonder how many people are tempting fate by trying to drive up that when nobody is there to tell them about road conditions.
P3Tacco

Here's the narrowest section on the road, first weekend in November. This is an extended cab F150 4WD. Pretty much a rock crawl above this point, I wish I had taken some photos of that!  It was definitely more difficult coming down than going up, just like climbing a mountain. I was very surprised by the large number of vehicles. 24254834_10208225503753716_2275410107282054882_o.jpg
billtal

We went down Lippincott Pass on the day after Thanksgiving on adventure bikes.  This is a steep, rocky descent that requires some experience.  We have smaller bikes that are mainly dirt bikes and they did fine.  We came on two larger adventure bikes that had dropped the bikes and were nervous.  We gave them a pep talk and they made it ok.  They said they were fairly new to off road riding.  We saw several 4WD going up, one was a 1962 International Scout.  They took their time and made it.  
P3Tacco

Thanks Medic, I think it's a go!
Dpsmedic

I went through on Oct 14th with no issues in a Wrangler. Not sure if the weather has done anything to it since then. I think a F150 should be ok if it is in the same condition as the day I drove through. A couple of stock 4Runners went behind me no problem. The area depicted in the photos below looked the same on the day I came through
P3Tacco

Any updates as far as the condition? It's been decades since I drove it. Even though we go at least twice per year, and I have an extra cab F150 (4WD) now. Last time was in a Baja Bug!
Sparky of SoCal

I think you will drag your ass a few places. You can play around a little at the curves and get by but it will be slow. Not sure if it is worth the effort.
Davee NoNo

I'm thinking of attempting this in a Ford E350 Quigley. Will there be a problem for the long wheelbase?
zidaro

Lippincott is in amazing condition, IMO.  Best I've seen it, the lower valley floor is even graded smooth.  

We went thru in my Crewmax Tundra with Northstar camper.  zero clearance issues.
Heres the narrowest section.  Hug the wall.

Exposure is high, yes.  Don't fall off.  But the view is worth it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!