Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 7      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Sparky of SoCal

I think you will drag your ass a few places. You can play around a little at the curves and get by but it will be slow. Not sure if it is worth the effort.
Davee NoNo

I'm thinking of attempting this in a Ford E350 Quigley. Will there be a problem for the long wheelbase?
zidaro

Lippincott is in amazing condition, IMO.  Best I've seen it, the lower valley floor is even graded smooth.  

We went thru in my Crewmax Tundra with Northstar camper.  zero clearance issues.
Heres the narrowest section.  Hug the wall.

Exposure is high, yes.  Don't fall off.  But the view is worth it.
Porcine Satori

SunMan and rambler, thanks for your information. I figured if we were careful we would be OK, if the road conditions were not significantly degraded, but it's always good to double check. I appreciate your feedback. Anyone been in or out recently?
SunMan

You'll be fine, I've done it in a Double Cab Tundra with a Four Wheel Hawk a couple of times. Once was followed by a full sized long bed dodge with a Grandby. Talked to a few people last weekend that drove it but I didn't ask for specific conditions...my assumption is something would have been said if there was something exceptionally bad.
Dusty.rambler

Porcine, I haven't been on this road in 6 years, so I can't vouch for current conditions, but I think you will be fine. Your rig sounds heavy, but not too wide. Width is the challenge on this route. Lippencott is usually in the same condition... a couple of tight squeezes with a cliff on one side and a drop off on the other. If you take it slow and have spotters when needed, you will be fine. Oh, and also if you have experience driving challenging roads.
Porcine Satori

Anyone gone in or out of the Racetrack via Lippincott since the last post with updated information? Am wondering if using this route in Tacoma's with Four Wheel Campers is wise or foolish. We are moderately experienced 4 wheel drivers with good 10 ply BF All Terrain tires, onboard air, and recovery gear, but obviously we'll have some weight on our backs. Any updated information, insight, or general or specific thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks....
jeepdays

Entered the Valley via Lippincott on 2/26. Difficult coming down, but not impossible. Washouts and fallen rocks are definitely hazards, but any experienced 4x4 driver could handle those. We took a rental Jeep Compass down the pass, but it got a flat. We were able to finish the pass with a doughnut. I would recommend any high clearance vehicle (shorter wheelbase is better) with strong off-road tires and a full-size spare.
Romy

Left the valley via Lippincott on 2/20.  The canyon is a bit rough going up and a short wheelbase is definitely helpful.  It is narrow and there's one slide that a high center of gravity vehicle might have issues with (like a camper).  The recent rains had caused a few wash-outs and rock falls.  I would be hesitant taking a long wheelbase vehicle through. I had no issues in a relatively stock 80s Land Cruiser.
tonapah tom

lippincott should be doable w/ a ford 150 4x4 w/ good tires.. up or down.. go slow enjoy the ride..
Salt Peter

Wow!!!
I'd say you're fortunate to enjoy the unique experience. Great stuff. Thank you for sharing.
SilverBob

Fantastic pictures Jeff!  Thank you.  Snow in the desert has to be experienced to be believed!
Jeffherb

IMG_0501.JPG 

IMG_0508.JPG  IMG_0509.JPG 

First three are Steel Pass, fourth is in between eureka dunes and Waucoba Saline rd. On Steel pass, the snow pretty much started at the marble tub.

IMG_0529.JPG 

Salt Peter

Yes it isn't as bad as everything you read. This is dependent on current conditions though. Coming down vs. going up are different issues too.
Jeffherb

I was afraid of Lipincot for years. The folks who spend a bunch of money on their rig like to make it sound like they earned the road with all their hi tech gear. As of 1-23 I had no issues in a stock first gen tacoma. You need to look where you're going, but with a little 4wd experience I would not shy away from it as an option. a subaru, a 2wd ford van and a four door long bed dodge all made it in last week. I have a feeling the van is gonna be doing a bit of road work on the way out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!