Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
4runner doa

Went down Lippincott on the 20th (last Tuesday) and it was fairly mild compared to some of the reports I've seen. Granted I'm on 35s and short wheel base, but I had 2 Tacomas (1 on 35s and 1 on 33s) with me that made the washed out turns with no problem. Another good rain up there and it's going to be pretty bad again though. The shoulders in the washouts are going to need some work.
SunMan

We came across an elderly couple up near the Hunter Mountain turnoff about 8 or 9 years ago on their way to the Racetack (complete with their dry cleaning hanging off the hooks in the backseat), they stopped me to ask if they were heading the right way and I pleaded with them to please turn around and not continue, it took some convincing but the woman finally turned their I’ll equipped 2WD small SUV around. I still shudder to think what might have happened had they trundled up Lippincott.
James Sel

In GPS we trust.
Salt Peter

People never cease to amaze. Several years ago I warned some tourists in a Murano about their travel plans as well.
taco.matt

Thanks for the reply Dpsmedic. I ended up braving it down Lippincott this weekend (November 17) with my stock Tacoma TRD OR (along with my buddy's built up 4runner). Most of the road was pretty mild, with a few minor washed out sections, but I never felt that it was too narrow for either of us.

There was one portion of the road that was pretty beat up which required some minor rock build ups, route planning, and a trusty spotter to navigate down. I didn't have good skids and sliders, so I approached it fairly cautiously.

I wouldn't recommend this path for anyone travelling by themselves unless they additional clearance, good tires, recovery equipment. Some armor would help as well.

We adamantly warned a Nissan Murano that was trying to make it up Lippincott to Racetrack Playa against trying to make it up, but he wanted to give it a shot anyway. I hope he ended up alright.

Dpsmedic

Went up it Saturday NOV 10 with three Jeep Rubicons. In the area of the center section that had the washout which put you close to the wall, it is a little more beat up than normal for about three hundred yards. Was not bad though. More washed out than in March when I tranversed it. Couple of the washed out areas are farther into the road way so your roadway is narrower in those areas. Jeep made it through with room to spare.
taco.matt

Any updates on lippincott within the last couple of weeks?
SunMan

BB,
Yes, that’s a gen 2, thanks.
87Yota

Went down the 25th of October in a fully loaded 87 Toyota pick up. Lifted with 30 inch tires. Friend has an almost stock 2014 Tacoma. Road was rough but passible. Only one real bad section. I think the same section Sparky Socal was referring to. It was a bit like rock crawling, maxed the clearance on my truck. That section made it fun. otherwise just loose, rocky and a few small wash outs, 4L 2nd gear most the way.  

"That one longer section with all the white rock has had all the dust and loose soil washed away but there are multiple lines." 
Sparky of SoCal

Hope this helps, If I get the pics from my friend I will post them. 
Bluegrass Boy

2016, so gen 2 I guess.
SunMan

BB,
Gen 1 or Gen 2 Tundra?
Bluegrass Boy

Went down 10/29/18 in a 4x4 Tundra. Tough going, especially where the edge was washed out. Near the bottom, after I kissed solid ground, I met a guy going up in some kind of Mercedes mini SUV. I warned him off but he kept going. Hope he made it.
Sparky of SoCal

Went up 10-13-18 and there was a little difference from past. Turns appear to be about the same. That one longer section with all the white rock has had all the dust and loose soil washed away but there are multiple lines. If you have min. 33" tires, 4 wheel drive and suspension to go with 33's it should be doable. I do think it is getting closer to the time camper type rigs are going to start going around.
Dpsmedic

Found the attached on the DVNP Road Conditions page dated Sept 24. I’m planning a trip next month. Be interested to hear what you find!

Attached Images
jpeg 90C1F452-2269-4A66-8C4E-C2D76319F0FB.jpeg (870.20 KB, 32 views)

87Yota

Heading out to the race track then to Saline on the 22nd. Any one have an update on lippincott? 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution