Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
-E-

I am one of the bikers that cross by the springs and have been guilty of just jumping into a tub. Typical remote tubs do not have the standards Saline has if any. Had I know of the amenities on my first trip I would have gladly followed the program. Even the foot bath may not be obvious to someone who has never seen one. A bit of signage at the main entry points to educate noobs like myself may help with the issue.
bobhuckaby

what is interesting to observe, though, is most of the Jeeper groups park by the shitter and talk without soaking then move on, the bikers I've talked to seem respectful to the area whether they soak or not, most don't strip down though get out of the protective gear
speakeasy

In my experience 90% of bikers and 80% of Meetup/Facebook off-roading group members are guilty. There have been calls in the past to improve signage and create persistent threads on this forum and on Facebook page but ...
Cycleman4

I call bullshit. “Bikers” are not the biggest offenders. I frequent the springs on my motorcycle with many friends. Have for years. I have come across many dirty hippies and others that don’t shower before they get in the tubes. Try not blaming one general group when it may be only a few individuals.
bobhuckaby

road conditions and recommendations are a separate topic on this forum, a lot of discussion already exists about vehicle and equipment choices
Salt Peter

This is the website for the the springs. Most, if not all, info can be had here.
kayaker77

dautremont thank you, that is true!
dautremont

The roads may be in bad shape due to bad weather,  until things dry up, making it problematic for a 2wd suv.  Clearance is rarely the issue on the main saline valley road.  Washouts, rough stretches with small sharp rocks, muddy or soft sandy spots are the big problems.  Have newer tires, air down, go slow, use caution. Like climbing  Everest, getting to the top is only half way - you still need to get back down!
kayaker77

I understand about vehicle requirements now, so thank you all for the good info.

Is there an official web site that I can visit on the springs and the campground? I didn't see one online.
slash2

7 out of 10 times you'll probably make it just fine. One of those ten trips, maybe the first or maybe the seventh, you'll have a flat tire, one of them you may have two flat tires, and on one of them you may break down or get stuck and require thousands of dollars worth of assistance.

So if you do choose to roll the dice, please at least consider bringing along $500 cash or other goods to offer to the kind, experienced backcountry traveller who will undoubtedly delay and alter their plans just to help you out of the bind you may be getting yourself into by not being properly equipped for this well documented rough and sometimes impassable backcountry road.

JayOtheMountains

Just cause you CAN drive a Tesla into Saline doesn't mean you should.   Yes, you can get in there but it's not the wisest decision and introduces a ton of risk into your trip. The old-old-timers will tell you that you need a 4x4 cab-over pickup or a capable Jeep/SUV thing jacked up and ready for the everything. A good truck or crossover will suffice. Be aware that it's all dirt and only gets worse at the end. (I've seen everything from a Model T, a Tesla, and a true overland rig that uniMOG drivers get envious over in the valley.)

Be aware that we are still in storm cycles through May, and at any time the passes can get snowed in or the road flooded out. Then you'll be wishing for a better vehicle as you're out of ice, food, and have to resort to drinking spring water. Spring water isn't bad, nor is it particularly bad for you, but now you're stranded in the desert asking people for supplies and whatnot to get you through the delay you're now in. People are generally nice, but you're on your own out there, plan on that...

tomd

No! on driving the South Pass Road with a Nissan Rogue with street tires.
Salt Peter

Please don't be that guy who gets stuck because they take the incorrect vehicle to Saline Valley. Yes some have and many more have had issues. I guess you can roll the dice. If you get flats and no one is there to extract you be ready to pay Millers a couple thousand to get your vehicle out. I don't suggest you take a Rogue with street tires.
kayaker77

Thank you everyone for the great info and jokes as well! I'm looking forward to seeing the hot springs. I will gladly obey all rules and will take care to leave the springs better than I found them. I will be backpacking in the Saline Valley, so I will be in the area. Will a Nissan Rogue with street tires be good enough to drive to the springs on South Pass coming from Grapevine Canyon area?
Salt Peter

Do your homework kayaker. Lots to know. Read about it on this forum.
Everyone remember SARS and MERS were both a corona type virus and they all come from bats. There are bats at Saline. Therefore logic stipulates that Saline and the entire southwest deserts are prone to a corona type virus. Don't eat the bats. There is no wet market in Saline. I'm starting to sound like pneumbra
[biggrin][nono][crazy][wave][thumb]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution