Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Sparky of SoCal

Yes Dear
dautremont

Maybe a little too concerned, but "leaving multiple containers of avgas" at the airfield unattended and abandoned is a little careless, possibly hazardous to the environment, and a cause for concern if the NPS finds out.  They might close the field, the area, or other over reaction if a spill occurs.  Best keep it quiet, and not a regular practice, and remove the unattended fuel promptly...
SilverBob

No worries!  I'm quite sure that Lizard Lee has everything under control!

Cheers!
pconway

ok guys, let's just agree it's a hydrocarbon and hope it gets put to recreational use[wink]
SilverBob

Dautremont has posted a valid concern.  The tetra-ethyl lead in Avgas will shorten the life of your catalytic convertor and it can screw with your O2 sensors.  The problem with it is that the lead never goes away or burns out.  Even if you mixed the Avgas in a couple gallons with each fill up, the net result is the same as dumping it all in at once.

Now, if I was low on gas and needed to get out of the valley, would I use it?  Hell yes!  It won't hurt the engine at all.  I'd also use it in any of my motorcycles or in any other vehicle that doesn't have a cat convertor. 

I also understand that it works fine in rental vehicles, leased vehicles and vehicles owned by knuckleheads that arrive at the springs and immediately ask where the gas station is! [thumb]
dautremont

Most avgas is leaded, so beware of use in unleaded only vehicles...could cause damage to the catalytic converter or other parts...
Salt Peter

Avgas isn't cheap either!
Fly back and get it. A good excuse to get back to SV.
[biggrin]
pconway

Hoping to get a message to Lee or others that we inadvertently left three 5 gallon jugs of avgas at the airstrip.  It's good fuel!  Hoping it will go to good use.  Fine for motorcycles and cars as well.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution