Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
mylo

Went to the springs last Thursday and left Saturday (2nd time there.).  Wow, it was one HOT mother, but enjoyed the visit.  Kept cool by hanging out in the cooler spring pool there (until it was pretty much drained from the lawn being watered) and McElvoy Canyon.  McElvoy Canyon still has cool water flowing and it felt pretty good to just sit right done in it and have a couple of cold ones under the ferns.  Only a few others at the springs and couldn't believe it when I saw them dipping in the hot springs, when the outside temp was about 112 F!.... thought they were crazy aliens or something...........

The Burros there are a hoot and North pass in great shape.  The springs are impressive and looking forward to returning when weather cools a bit. Want to check out Beverage canyon and hike further up McElvoy.  
moepeppers

Have you ever used a sock cooler? I use it to precool my beer before it goes in the ice chest.
 You need a shallow dish pan and some old cotton socks- sock up your beers and put them in the dish pan with a few inches of water and leave them overnite. You'll be surprised at how cool they get ! Works great when you run out of ice! I've been out in the bush for weeks without ice and always enjoyed"cool" beer.
knockknock

S.P.>  I Second that!
Knockknock
Sam D.

I had both - Yeti and Pelican. Yeti - great but fragile. It broke when fell off the roof of my SUV. Pelican was great but Yeti held ice 4.37% longer.
By the way, Pelicans are on sale at Sams Club.
Having said all that, I bought an Igloo cooler w. wheels and metallic hinges (very important as plastic hinges on Igloo coolers last 1 visit) at Costco
(still sells as of last week). I paid around $90. It's rated for 6 days. Realistically the ice lasts 4 days with the cooler seating in the sun with a couple of blankets over it.
Works great for me and when it breaks I won't feel bad since I paid 60% less than comparable Pelican or Yeti.
James Sel

How does it compare to the Grizzle coolers?

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-Coolers-Hunting-Cooler-60-Quart/dp/B008RY7ZR2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408427455&sr=8-3&keywords=grizzly+coolers

Or to the Yeti
http://www.amazon.com/Yeti-Tundra-45-Quart-Cooler/dp/B001COUOYK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1408427455&sr=8-13&keywords=grizzly+coolers

Salt Peter

^^^^THIS^^^^
XPBC

Please don't run a generator at Palm Spring for anything!
skot11

This is the best cooler I have ever used at the springs ... 41xbV9XKoQL.jpg
http://www.pelican.com/case_category_coolers/

oregonjohn

No more spam!!!! I try to get it off the site as quickly as possible.

OJ
Linz

Thanks for the spam, maryyou! I'll be sure to NOT click on that link.
XPBC

I should be passing thru June 13-14.  Usually don't have much company that time of year.

Cee-YA!

florida

I have an Engel fridge/freezer in the Syncro that runs off the 2 deep cycle 12v batteries that are maintained by a solar panel on the roof, and an occasional short drive. So far I have stayed at the springs for 8 days at a time and kept everything as cold as I wanted. The problem is the price of the fridge/freezer is $$$$$ now. But it is extremely efficient.

natur_lover

The trouble with those ice makers out there is you get really thin ice cubes because the whole set up is so hot.  It takes a lot of time until you can chill the bin enough with dump after dump of ice until the ice builds up.  We have one and don't think it's worth the effort to bring it out there and run a generator for hours to make ice.  Just my $0.02.  Trust me for my perfect margaritas I would if I could!

Sam D.

Thank you, Paul. Please keep us updated on your efforts to have ice at the springs.
RpzInc

A generator. if you want ice give a gallon of gas? Ill pitch 20$ for a generator. if we get more people to pitch 20 we might have a solution.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution