Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
heroicbill

Obviously don't count on cell service, but I've found the best bet is on text messages at the middle springs.  I set my (at&t) phone on top of my camper and occasionally it will catch a signal and send/receive while I'm playing a nice game of desert bocce!  It's nice for letting friends and family know that I made it safe and don't need a rescue team!  heh
ridingonfumes

Thanks on the info about the phones, that's good enough just so long as I can check emails every few days, and weather reports I will be good,
trigger

AT&T does get spotty service in certain areas around saline valley not just the tubs. We were hiking in a nearby canyon and my sisters cell phone got about 20 messages at once and she was able to make calls. She has AT&T. Spotty service around the tubs too. Verizon does not work at all.
trigger

Not a good idea! Keep in mind there are some areas on the road that if you do break down or get stuck you you might block the road for folks. Its happened before.
ridingonfumes

yeah that's why im asking opinions on the weather, and yes i
rstand it's just a guess but knowing past years weather at that time of year gives me some idea,
dont, think I haven't done my research just because I'm new to this forum, I have read a lot of the post about the road both here and the soakersforum, and some 4x4 and rv specific forums, and watched a 45min time lapse video of someone driving the South road up and over the pass.
And I have met other snowbirds who have done it and listened to their experiences with the roads.
Am i wrong in thinking that only the upper portion of the pass will be snowed, or do the valley's get snow too in january?
And still wondering About the signal? One person posted and said "no service" but there is an entire thread on this site about how at&t 3g does work near the tubs,,,,,,,, but is it true att 3g or a roaming tower that att uses
SilverBob

Thanks for sharing the type of trails you're used to travelling.  Now, take that trail, cover it with rocks, then dump two feet of snow on top of it and you'll know what to expect in January.  I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just suggesting that you understand what you're getting into and be prepared. 

I appreciate that you're asking advice before attempting this trip.  I only hope you'll heed the advice you get. 
ridingonfumes

photo sharing websites
ridingonfumes

Here are some pics, one of my rig, and one of the kind of roads I'm used to driving it on

image hosting sites
ridingonfumes

Yeah I have no doubt my rig can make it, all the tires and supplies will fit nicely in the sleeper area above the cab, but the amount of snow on th passes has me concerned...... I might just head over to quartzsite or slab city, untill March and then try saline,,,,,, Idk I'm just going to have to see how the weather turns out
Lysdexic

Just got back from a week at the Springs. There were several campers and a hybrid Ford Escape (stock suspension, as far as I saw).
paul belanger

GMTA, XPBC....maybe put the spare tires in a trailer?  And get 8 spares? Or hell, bring 11 spare tires in a trailer.  But DON'T put the beer in a trailer, too bumpy.

XPBC

If you haul six full size spares you won't have enough room for beer in a 25'er.
ridingonfumes

Yeah I guess I'm just going to have to wait till I see how this winter plays out, I guess stripping some springs and leaf springs off another motor home at a junk yard might be a good idea too
Salt Peter

I wasn't gonna comment. What the others have warned you about due to weather and road conditions is spot on. Unfortunately with the current road conditions it will be tough on your rig. Good luck.
ridingonfumes

I have taken her some crazy places that no one else would even think of taking an rv, but the longest dirt road yet has only been about an hour trip not 6 - 8....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution