Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Tule

I'm with Bob and Trigger, don't try Steel or Lippencott.  You will do damage to your rig.  Steel Pass is too tight for an extended or crew cab F series and you have a good chance of high-centering in Dedekera Cyn.  The off-camber sections of Lippencott will be white knuckler in a long wheel base. 
trigger

Both north and south pass are accessible for you. Easy drives. 30 foot motorhome came in north pass a couple weeks ago and left the same route a week ago.
MikeSauch

Thank you both for your insightful replies.  I am planning to enter from Big Pine, so I will just take Death Valley Road around and avoid the gnarly mountain passes.  I have been to Death Valley a few times and I plan to return many more times in the future, but next time I'll just rent a Jeep.  Does anybody believe North Pass is accessible to the springs in the truck described?
trigger

No, most likely they wont. Dont do it. I have a dodge quad cab with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch toyo muds. I did steel pass in it and wouldnt do it again unless I had to to get out. Its a pretty drive but very slow going and the long wheel base makes it difficult.Can you do it? Sure but you'll most likely get some damage along the way...Not worth the risk of getting stranded out there. The long wheel base makes it so that you are driving over more big rocks that in a short wheel base you would otherwise be able to manuever around. Also the width is another problem. I did Steel Pass about 9 days ago now in short wheel base vehicles and it was worse than when I took my Dodge through it last time. Look at the Pictures Tule posted under steel pass. Take the long way around to race track and Eureka. Worth the drive in my opinion.
SilverBob

First of all, Welcome to Saline Valley Talk!  Now on to your questions....

You didn't mention how long your truck is.  I know it's an F350, but is it a regular cab, extra cab, Crew cab,.....?  Length can be a problem going over both passes.  I've seen plenty of regular cab, long bed pickups make it through Steele Pass and the Lippincott Road.  I can easily see how a truck with a longer wheelbase could have problems.  On the road between Steele Pass and the springs, there are some tricky tight turns around boulders that might require a spotter and some driving skill (a lift makes it much easier).  The Lippincott Road gets quite narrow with sharp turns right along a deep dropoff. A lift won't help there.

In short, there are dozens of vehicles that would be more at home on these roads than your F350.  While a skilled and careful driver could probably get your truck through with a minimum of body damage, it would be a slow trip, and really wouldn't be a lot of fun.  If this will be your only chance to see Saline Valley in your lifetime, it might be worth it.  If not, I'd suggest another route.

As far as tires go, All-Terrain or Mud-Terrain tires are obviously best for these roads. That said, as long as you have "E" rated truck tires (or heavier), and you can air-down if you get in deep sand, you should be OK.  Carry two spares and travel with another vehicle (or two) if you have any doubts.

Enjoy your trip!

***I almost forgot!  If you're going into the backcountry in February, don't forget your tire chains!  Watch the weather closely, and even then, storms can sneak up on you.  Chains are cheap insurance that no one should be without!***
MikeSauch

Hello y'all,

I am will be heading out on Feb. 1 in my F-350 4x4 with road tires.  I want to explore Eureka Dunes, Steel Pass, the springs, Lippincott Pass, and the Racetrack (in that order).  Does anybody think this truck is too large for Steel Pass and Lippincott Pass?  Will road tires work (I know they are not recommended)?  Thank you for any feedback!

_sauch
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution