Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
BigMc

I have a palm that was growing in a pot on my balcony for quite a while.  The pot is very small and there were other plants in there as well.  I didn't plant it, and I sure didn't give it 10 gallons of water ever in it life.  I didn't plant it, it just grew.  I finally took it out of the shared pot and have planted it on it's own now in another pot as I have several palms on the property already.  I still won't give it 10 gallons of water ever.  
Hi Desert Warrior

I agree.  My son worked at Furnace Creek, over 11 years ago.  He said there is a hot spring, in walking distance, from where the employees live, behind Furnace Creek Inn.  It has Palm Trees and was a popular spot for the employees.  At the Bishop open house I told the Ranger about the trees and he said they had been removed.
SilverBob

Unfortunately, most of the palms around both springs were propagated by certain individuals who shall remain nameless.  That's why they occur in nice orderly arrangements, and not at random all over the place.  You don't see any palms at the upper-upper spring do you?  I guarantee the ravens and burros frequent that spot as well as the lower two springs.  There are no palms at Seven Sisters Spring or the Artesian Spring, or any other place in the valley that I'm aware of, except for a few on the private property near the lake bed.  I'm betting that they were planted, too. 
Hi Desert Warrior

Cipra has a point.  Every now and then Palm trees spring up in my garden in Orange County.  It is the result of Crows droping the seeds in the garden.  Difference between my garden and Saline Valley is water.  The Palms at Saline need a minum of 10 gallons of water a day to survive.  The Saline Palms gets their water from the runoff of the pools.  So if the Ravens at the springs are dropping Palm seeds about the springs they will not germinate without large amounts of water.  I haven't been to the upper springs, but I saw a picture which looks like one palm tree growing next to the source.  When talking to a Ranger at the Bishop open house, he said the trees at the springs were do to Burro's eating the Palm seeds at the lower springs and spreading the seeds through their dropings.  I pointed out that Burros do not eat Palm seeds, if any blame can be made, it might be the Ravens from what experience I have had with Crows.  But the Palm Trees at both springs were planted back in the 60's and not the result of seeds being spread around by any source.   
BigMc

Need a like button on that comment.  
trigger

Ok thanks Driver. I was laughing thinking to myself government never ceases to amaze me how dumb their decision making can be. Reading other posts this Cipra guy is claiming birds are eating and dispersing the palm seeds over the rest of the park. The palms at the springs were planted along time ago. 60's maybe? I think. I've been goin to Death Valley for 40 years and I don't recall having to fight my way through a jungle of palm trees anywhere! Lol!!!! Guess I better get a new sharper machete so I can hack away at these damn palm trees and hike some trails out there.
Driver

trigger, Morrie's correct.  Saline Valley Warm Springs are getting a separate plan which will include this subject.
Morrie

That NPS link does say it excludes the Saline Valley Springs, so that's good.  I'll bet it's excluded because there is already another management plan for it.

But it doesn't exclude other springs that have palms.  Not sure how many of these there are in the park.
Sam D.

Is there a Death Valley Historical Society that can nominate and/or designate the hot springs as the landmark of historical significance?
It looks like NPS is in charge of nominations and The National Historic Landmarks Program
is hosted on NPS's website: http://www.nps.gov/nhl/
paul belanger

I believe Farmer D's notion of the significance of the springs to be protected as historical artifacts is one that we can get the most traction from.  He asked "when do the Palms at the Springs and the Peace sign start having historical significance to assure their preservation?"  That point is already here.  Of course this extends to the springs themselves.
trigger

Might be old news but the park service celebrated "earth day" in April of 2012 and invited folks to celebrate with them at Scotty's Castle. They participated in "earth day restoration projects" and supposedly removed all those earth angering palm trees from Scotty's castle. Not sure if they actually removed them or not. This crap is pathetic!!! If they removed them there you can bet they're gonna be removed from Warm Springs
trigger

Driver, I'm confused. The website you posted states the plan excludes Saline Valley Warm Springs. Did I mis read it?
Salt Peter

There sure have been a lot of prospective plans and comment periods in the last few years.
Driver

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=297&projectID=14924&documentID=49574
Farmer Dean

I don't understand the logic - if there becomes talk of removal from the Saline Springs, don't they have to be removed from Furnace Creek and Furnace Creek Inn by the same logic? There's a thousand times more palms there and a much greater bird population to carry the seeds around Death Valley proper and beyond. Most have us have all done enough exploring and hiking these Valleys and wet canyons to know that Palms aren't becoming established anywhere else. When do the Palms at the Springs and the Peace sign start having historical significance to assure their preservation? The Salt Tram was operating until the mid 1930's and no ones trying to tear it down, it's protected. Just 25 to 30 years later the Springs became culturally occupied, shouldn't that part of our cultural history also be protected. The Peace Sign petroform is probably 50 years old and has great cultural significance pertaining to struggles that have helped define our present Democracy. Morrie please let us know where we can respond to for our public input. FD
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!