Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
James Sel

I think the reason for the camp host to protect the endangered plant life on the dunes from this Illegal activity being done by the terrorists in this video.

....and to hand me paper as needed

SilverBob

Eureka Dunes has no water, only one toilet, and just a handful of designated camp sites.  I have no idea why they think they need a Camp Host out there.
Salt Peter

The entire Saline area is on the backburner til 2015. I haven't gotten through the entire document. I don't see the need for a camp host at Eureka. Eureka has one pit toilet.
pugsly

They punted on the Springs, it will be 2015 (at least)

"The Saline Valley Warm Springs area is not covered in this plan, as it will be managed according to the Saline Valley Warm Springs Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The EIS for Saline Valley Warm Springs is currently under development, and a Record of Decision will not be issued until fall of 2015 at the earliest."
paul belanger

I took a look at this 90+ page document.  Any insight any of you may have is appreciated.

A camp host at the Eureka Dunes?  Does it really get frequented enough to need a camp host?  Are there toilets there presently? A water source?  I want/need to go there and see it again, it's been a long time.  I would seriously like to hear from those of you that go there often.

I did not see Saline mentioned at all in this document.  I slogged through it and I didn't really get a read on what any of it means, or what it hints at, for Saline.

hmmm....

Big Jeff

Hello Saline Family

I am a lurker just coming out of the shadows ( more on that later)

Here is a link to the new Wilderness Management plan
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/showFile.cfm?projectID=23311&docType=public&MIMEType=application%252Fpdf&filename=Death%5FValley%5FWilderness%5Fand%5FBackcountry%5FStewardship%5FPlan%5FFONSI%5Fwith%5FErrata%5F%5F%5FAppendices%2Epdf&clientFilename=Death%5FValley%5FWilderness%5Fand%5FBackcountry%5FStewardship%5FPlan%5FFONSI%5Fwith%5FErrata%5F%5F%5FAppendices%2Epdf

This might give us an idea of what is in store for the Saline Warm Springs.   They mention the Springs as being another plan to come out in late 2015 but I think We can see their mindset.   I have only read part of it so I do not have any comments yet.   This plan applies to areas out side of the Springs, but I am sure some of you use these places.

Thanks for now
Big Jeff
Salt Peter

Even though I haven't been to Scotty's Castle since the palms were removed the thought pisses me off.
SilverBob

So now we know what kind of palms we have, and that they need lots of water.  That fact precludes their spreading through the park, except to those very few locations where surface water is found.  We also know that the two water sources nearest the hot springs, Seven Sisters and Upper Warm, have no palm infestation. This is despite years of determined efforts to propagate them at Palm and Lower Warm Springs. 

Could someone please explain to me why there is a problem?  Why would anyone in the NPS think there needs to be an extermination program, unless they're just trying to justify their own existence?  This whole idea is absurd!
Hi Desert Warrior

Right on!
paul belanger

I believe those palms at the springs are Washingtonia robusta, the botanical name of that species.  Common name is Mexican Fan Palm.  (I've worked in the landscape business all my life.)
Hi Desert Warrior

The Palms that I was talking about is the Washington Palms that are found at the springs and other places in the National Park.  They take 10 gallons of water when growing and less than that according to Georges Palms of California.  There are many different Palm Tree species, Saline has one, Washington Palms.
paul belanger

I stand corrected.  You are, of course, spot on, Brother.
SilverBob

Hopefully, soon enough the Federal Gov't will realize how broke it is and quit spending, and/or proposing to spend, <our> money on this type of BS.

There!  I fixed it for you!
paul belanger

I can't see the NPS paying what it would cost to remove those Palms at Saline's lower springs.  And haul generated debris out of the valley?  Come on man, there is obviously no problem with Mexican Fan Palms springing up all over the Saline Valley. 

Hopefully, soon enough the Federal Gov't will realize how broke it is and quit spending, and/or proposing to spend, money on this type of BS.  Hell, they spend just as much money on the exploratory exercises before they even do anything.  <rolling eyes as I write the tax check>

Another "come on, man"..... who would think that a potted Palm on a balcony patio would have the same water requirements as a 20-30' Palm tree living in the Saline Valley?  (Cue Samuel L Jackson:  "Touching a woman's feet and sticking your tongue in the holiest of holies ain't in the same ballpark, it ain't even in the same league!")
Lysdexic

It isn't 20 feet tall either.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!