Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Thunder58

Since the flood of 2015, Scotty's Castle has had an outbreak of palm trees. I was with a volunteer group that spent a day pulling all the tiny palmtree starts and bagging them for disposal. The numbers were in the thousands by the end of the day. Since the flood destroyed the watering system they are letting the established palms die. I find that part sad as they are a part of the history of the castle.  SO at least in that area the Parks Service is moving forward with the removal of the palms.
Sam D.

L.L. was still the host 2 weeks ago. Have you heard something different?
Flyfisher

I'm heading towards the Eureka Dunes in a week. Anybody know if the conditions are good for seeing flowers there?  Hoping for the best! Plan leave the dunes via Steele Pass to Saline, stay there for a day or two, then head over to the Racetrack thru Lippincott Pass. Never seen the moving rocks! After that I'm heading to the Mojave. Yippeeeee!
P.S. Is it true that L. Lee is no longer the camp host? 
Mr.T

The primrose in a dune makes quite a picture.  Never actually seen one flowering, not sure if I've even seen the plant there --maybe next visit.  There's some good hi-res pics at the USDA website on the "images" tab if anyone is interested.
James Sel

easy to find more sand dune flowers on google.......not my pic
Flyfisher

James, I love the photo of the Eureka Dunes Evening Primrose. It's really nice to see a pretty plant like that clinging to a dune!
winks

This is a shared resource that goes far beyond just having fun on the dunes.
"Do no harm" should be everyone's motto.
Tread lightly.
Leave no trace.
Take only photographs and whatever crap you brought in.
But I am preaching to the choir here, aren't I?

Flyfisher

I believe that what I said was that I would like the Eureka Dunes preserved, not that I want ATV use at the Coral Dunes stopped. The protection of biological diversity is of utmost importance in our ever shrinking world. We have very little knowledge on the inter-relationships between the life on earth, but for sure we are losing many species at a frightening rate. This cannot be good for all life on earth, including us. The Coral Dunes do have an endemic lizard that is protected in a small area of the dunes. They could probably be driven to extinction with no repercussions, but we just don't know that. They may have a symbiotic relationship with some other plant or animal that is important to us. I think it would behoove us, in the interest of future generations, to leave some places as they are with minimal human impact!
Let's treat mother earth as a good physician would treat a patient, first do no harm.
mylo

Hello Flyfisher, I just read your post about the dunes, atv's, etc.  If not dunes in Utah for recreational  vehicle enthusiasts, then where?  Don't get me wrong, I love the natural beauty of things, hiking, photos and all.  But I also enjoy (as millions do) off roading on dirt bikes, atv's and the such......all in balance.  It appears from your post (since you put it out there) that you're against designated areas for recreational vehicles.  If you want solitude and are into photography, great! However,  there are many many places to go without infringing on the rights of other who enjoy recreational vehicals.

Since you mentioned the dunes in Utah, well, they get thousands atv'ers per year, far more than say, Saline Valley.  The required green stickers they buy go to help preserve various outdoor areas for all to enjoy.  Flyfisher, I hope you're not one who "loves electricity but not in backyard or anywhere" types......just saying.......Happy New Year.

Flyfisher

After traveling to the Coral Pink Dunes in Utah, I commend the Park Service in any attempts to preserve the Eureka Dunes in pristine condition. The use of ATV's on the Utah dunes may be incredible fun but absolutely destroys them for  any other use such as photography or just people trying to enjoy any solitude at a beautiful location. Not to mention any endemic species.
Commando Paul

Gotta say there are some colors shining from down the allegorical path here...   No way of knowing whether they are either true or intentional, except from James.  The endangered species may be the ones on sand-boards!  Bwwaaaaaah Ha Haaaaaa!

Salt Peter

Un...whatever it is this week...

There have been a few times I might have almost supported some things you posted here. This one is just plain trolling. Sometimes you tout yourself as caring about the springs and environment but this last post shows your true colors. This is if in fact you are sincere about not giving a crap. Want to go sandboarding and running dunes in a buggy? Go with the rest of the turds to Glamis/Pismo. Stay there too. Thanks.

There are reasons we have protected areas such as national parks. Some things need to be preserved in a pristine state.
James Sel

Un Savvy, Un informed, Un Caring or a combination of the 3hree?

Quote:

The Eureka Dunes are the home of several unique (and protected) plant species. The Eureka Dune Grass (Swallenia alexandrae), the Eureka Evening Primrose (Oenothera californica eurekensis), and the Shining Locoweed (Astragalus lentiginosus micans) are only found in this area. Visitors to the dunes may also experience other unique aspects of these dunes, other than the booming. In wet weather, patterns can be seen in the sand that reveals the diverse sources, and the complex Aeolian process by which these dunes are formed (and re-formed- sources and processes that are not yet fully understood.

Un Believable

Or Un Important?

Un Forgiven

Troll
What's wrong with sliding down the dunes? Are there any endangered sand species?
I actually enjoy looking at footprints and tire tracks in the dunes, so you have to see them if
you go right me.
Salt Peter

Personally I don't want that out there for one reason and that is to keep the dunes pristine. I don't want tracks in the dunes when I'm looking at them or when photographing them. Just like I don't want tire tracks on the racetrack playa. Yes I know the dunes heal much quicker than the playa from human interaction but I still don't want it there.

The fact that these are obviously foreigners shows either lack of respect for park rules or ignorance of the same. Neither is an excuse.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!