Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next
paul belanger

MiR, your English is good, but we would refer to that as not a "high clearance vehicle."  Welcome to the springs, we love foreign visitors to our local paradise.
MiR

Thanks guys. I'm from Moscow, Russia. I used to visit DeVa once or twice a year since 2006. Since 2008 I'm keen to explore Saline Valley. I may only use my friend's Jeep Cherokee which is not a high foot vehicle.
Salt Peter

MiR take South Pass and take it easy. The last time I did SP it was a pain. Got me there nonetheless.
Definitely worth the trip.
SilverBob

MiR,

Five years sounds like a lot of planning. I guess I'm lucky to be able to visit whenever I want to.

As Tom mentioned, the Park Service never grades the Saline Valley Road. That's up to the Inyo County Road Dept. Since this last storm washed out many miles of paved road in Inyo County, I'm sure it will be a while before they get around to our part of the world. They simply don't have the equipment to keep up.

The South Pass has been damaged for almost a year. During that time, lots of people, driving lots of different kinds of vehicles have made it in and out safely. Typically, the more use it gets, the better the road becomes (thunderstorms aside!) Keep an eye on this forum for the latest conditions. If things improve, find someone else that's going the same time you are, and caravan. Be patient, drive slow, and enjoy your trip!

Major Tom

The DVNP does not grade the road. This is a county road, so Inyo County is responsible for it. As I understand, there isnt a lot of money in the county coffers, so I am not sure what the future holds. An inquiry to the county road department might yield some insights.

Myion

Speaking of the facebook road condition page, there's  pics from here up on there, including when Silver and friends rolled up to to the brink.
MiR

South is a pain, North is impassable. I got stuck. I've been planning my trip to Saline Valley for 5 years and expected to use my chance this Fall (Oct 2nd). Do you expect DVNP to grade South pass to make it passable for a low-feet SUV? Any rumors?

paul belanger

dang those road threads devolving into chit chat!

sp, I read back my response and it was a little too defensive...sorry.  But it had good info on Miller's Towing and on preparedness so it does seem to be somewhat on topic.
Salt Peter

I still think we should have one thread for road conditions. This thread can be linked in for date consistency.
Sam D.

+1
Major Tom

I have removed a lot of chatter that was more relevant to personalities and less relevant to road information. Hope most will understand the need to reduce the infighting.

trigger

James Sel I know ref the big tow truck but I can only imagine what that ride is like. Gotta be brutal! For $3 grand ill do it tho
Salt Peter

Good on you Paul for not only the unnecessary defense but mainly for taking your family/kids and sharing with them the good stuff in life.
Totally awesome!

James I'm pretty sure I'm on your side of things. I urge you to understand the grammatical differences. This is especially pertinent if you are in a position of representing the springs and saliners. It is critical when getting our message across to those in power. Just a suggestion. Back to soaking.
James Sel

Trigger ".............sweet"  It's their 4X4  high clearance truck.

Sam?  Did George & Ria say it was "Debbie"  (aka Un Hidden) whom was upset about the turkey bones?
trigger

South pass in a tow truck! Sweet!!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!