Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
Salt Peter

Please keep me informed of any work party information.
sunol-art

Quote:
 "... When is the "user maintained road" work party? [wink] "

Not until it cools down a bit.  We'll need to get it done without any publicity or announcements, so anyone that might want to help, let me know.  I'll see that you're notified when the time gets near.

Sparky of SoCal and his friends are going through this week.  I'm anxiously awaiting their report.

I'll be down in early November for PVD, so could help out in that timeframe.

Art
SilverBob

"... When is the "user maintained road" work party? "

Not until it cools down a bit.  We'll need to get it done without any publicity or announcements, so anyone that might want to help, let me know.  I'll see that you're notified when the time gets near.

Sparky of SoCal and his friends are going through this week.  I'm anxiously awaiting their report.
Tule

Bob, I think the folks running the DV Road Conditions FB page meant well by posting your pics.  They were likely just HUA on the permission issue.  The pics are gone now.  Strange that they have none of their own.  When is the "user maintained road" work party? 
paul belanger

What I got from the articles is that it might actually be disadvantageous for them to fix the roads right away. They are waiting/hoping for state and/or federal money.
SilverBob

I already did call the Inyo County Road Dept.  I was told that it's extremely unlikely that Saline Valley Road will get any attention at all this year.  If it gets anything, they may run a grader in the south to the bottom of Grapevine Canyon.  Every piece of equipment Inyo County owns is already working overtime.  They'll start on Federal and State highways, 190, 168, etc.  Next will be Inyo County primary roads, like Trona-Wildrose and Panamint Valley Road.  Other paved roads are next, followed by the various dirt roads in and out of Death Valley National Park.  The more popular roads will be done first, working their way down to the least used roads.  Guess where SV falls in that scheme? 

The best advice I can offer is to buy a more capable 4wd vehicle!
paul belanger

Hdw. ...read the trip advisor article....it explains it pretty well
Hi Desert Warrior

The last time I went into the springs, last May.  I saw two locations along Saline north road that had very large piles of gravel.  So, I think the county has the fill in, its just a question when will they will get around to do it.  Maybe a little shove would be to call the county road dept. and inquire when will it be worked on.  If they get enough calls from many people, maybe they would start sooner just to stop the calls.  Then maybe not.
SilverBob

No, it actually seems like a logical question.  Unfortunately, the flood came down from the west and washed all the material downstream (to the east).  The National Park boundary in that area is fifty feet east of the centerline of the road.  There isn't enough material left within that 50 ft. margin to rebuild the road, and the bureaucrats in the NPS aren't about to allow digging in their precious wilderness area. The fill used to rebuild the road will have to come from somewhere else.
paul belanger

Well, there it is.  Growing up, my mom's favorite expression was "better to keep your mouth shut, and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it up, and erase all doubt."
Un Forgiven

Troll
Why can't they reuse the material washed out from the ditches?
paul belanger

Good info, Sam, thanks.

Unfortunately, moving the road in that direction would move it into sacred federal land.
Sam D.

Two decent articles on the issues around road repairs:

http://www.inyoregister.com/node/4946

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k6790886-Update_on_Roads_from_The_Sheet-Death_Valley_National_Park_California.html

"While waiting for the Governor’s proclamation, and hoping for Emergency Relief through FHWA, the County can’t touch the roads that will have to be completely rebuilt until the FHWA can conduct an assessment of the damage. However, Williams said, the CDAA “is trying to make the County be proactive in repairing roads. We’re between a rock and a hard place.”"

Reminds me that it took Los Padros National Forest 2 years to make repairs to the road to Calinete's HS while waiting for the grants. I am curious how long it's going to take to get the funds.

It's probably not a good idea, but... that section of the road by the Willow Creek gets washed out regularly. Can we just make a new road farther away from the mountains?
I am sure there are some endangered cockroaches but still....

SilverBob

Thanks for the heads-up.  No, I did NOT give permission for them to use my pictures.  When I first found out about the Death Valley Road Condition Facebook page using them, I contacted the guy in charge of that page and was told that he'd "take care of it".  It's now a week later and nothing has changed.  Apparently they figure once they steal something, they own it! 

I emailed the "Death Valley Traveler" this morning and told them they could keep the picture there, but I want credit for it.  We'll see if that happens.

****<edit> Within an hour of sending the email, I got an apology from the editor of Death Valley Traveler and they've changed the credits on their website.  Still not a word from DVNP, though. ***
Salt Peter

Hope you gave permission for your photo to be used...
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013/08/heavy-july-rains-washed-away-many-roads-death-valley-national-park23789
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!