Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Trailrider

April is a much better month to hike!! As far as road conditions I would call the ranger station in Stovepipe or Olancha, they may have gotten info on someone who recently ran it. You can also post the question on the Facebook Death Valley road conditions page and someone who has run it after these last rains may know and reply with their experience. I ran it last Tuesday but that was a day before the rain and it was beautiful. No snow to speak of, and very easy. Your vehicle is more than capable, it just depends on the tires you have.

I don't know why I said August.... I meant april!!!

That is the route I was planning, I don't think we would do the whole thing, we usually just go until one of us starts whining too much and then turn back...
Trailrider

There is a known trail that cuts down from Goldbelt Spring, through Shorty Harris Canyon, and down into the upper narrows of Marble Canyon.  It is definitely NOT a day hike unless you are an ultra runner, and is not for the faint of heart, especially in August.  I have not personally taken this route, but it is on my bucket list.  

Check out this site for more information from someone who has actually done it.  

http://wildernessvagabond.com/death-valley-2015/wCA-death-valley-marble-to-gold-belt-12-miles-rob.jpg

I'm also fairly certain that there is another, longer route, that involves hiking from this point...but I cannot verify this.  I saw it once and damn it all if I didn't save the link.  It's on the Nat Geo Death Valley Map but there is no description. 

36.559856, -117.478892

This is another link I found detailing a backpacking trip from Stovepipe into Ulida Flat, which would take you up Marble and over into Shorty Harris Canyon as well, but also detailing the cross county trek over into Racetrack.

https://www.scaruffi.com/travel/racetrac.html

Not sure what kind of 4x4 fix you're planning on getting going up and over Hunter Mountain though.  It's not a very difficult road by any stretch of the imagination, unless you are planning on running it a couple weeks after a heavy snow, and even then you're just going to come across mud and ruts, not very fun.  In August you should be fine and dry as long as there isn't a monsoon storm coming forecast, in which case I'm sure you're not going to be hiking Marble Canyon either.  Lippencott, while not being all that technical, is far more challenging than Hunter. But both afford beautiful views.

And in case you haven't hiked it yet, I can tell you the upper Marble narrows are some of the most beautiful canyons in the park. 

Have fun and safe travels!

Hi! We are making final plans for a trip to DV the first week of August. We wanted to hike Marble Canyon and I noticed that it looks like you can access one of the Marble Canyon Narrows from Hunter Mountain Road instead of Stovepipe Wells... seems like it could be a good way to get our 4x4 fix. Wondering if anyone has any insight to that route.

Also curious about conditions on Hunter Mountain Road... I know it rained last week. Has anyone been up there this week? We are in a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk which made it down Lippincott just fine last year.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution