Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Salt Peter

dautremont did you notice how or if the palms at Palm Spring were getting any water? Was the source overflowing since the normal outlets to the pools/shower/wash station aren't in operation?
Sam D.

Tentative:

June 1- Sites along Hwy 190 open for day use.
June 15-Rest of park reopens except for visitor centers, campgrounds, and Saline Valley soaking tubs. Furnace Creek & Emigrant campgrounds reopen.
TBD- Visitor centers and rest of campgrounds
dautremont

I visited the camp host, Lee, at the springs on Saturday.  He is living there with a woman, even though all the signs around say the campgrounds and pools are closed, and to leave, for health reasons.  I did not ask if the closures applied to the two of them.  Lee guessed the campgrounds might open in a few weeks, but no idea for the pools, since social distancing is still ordered in all parks, and not possible in the pools.  He guessed the pools could only open after the social distancing orders are lifted.  He could not offer much other info.  The pools sure look sad when they are empty.  
Salt Peter

So out of those 1800 how many are symptomatic? Imagine this...the more people are tested the lower the mortality rate goes...amazing how that happens.
James Sel

El Aye County reported 1800 new case today the most in one day so far. Testing has been a joke so far so its hard to tie this to a trend but, its show; its out there.
paulespo

Newsom just announced transition to early stage 3 (they are calling it Stage 2.5) for all counties except the following: Alameda, Contra Costa, Imperial, Los Angeles, Marin, Monterey, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Tulare counties.
Said theme parks could open in June if numbers are stable:
https://www.montereyherald.com/2020/05/26/disneyland-and-other-california-theme-parks-can-reopen-in-stage-3-state-says/
Inyo wilderness is accepting reservations starting June 6 so its possible that DVNP soon after.
IMHO its less related to the protests and more to the huge budget shortfall CA is feeling from lack of tax revenues, that's why they are speeding up reopening.
Sparky of SoCal

The trend lately looks to be the more Tea tossed into the harbor the more restrictions are being relaxed. Questioned health concerns are being challenged and the public is not buying it anymore. You have the diehards and those with underlying conditions still holding out and they can and should continue their voluntary lockup.
paulespo

Technically Inyo County is already in Stage 2.
https://www.inyocounty.us/covid-19/reopening-inyo-businesses
Things are changing rapidly and depending on if we see a second wave(my guess in two weeks from yesterday is most likely when that will show given the big Memorial Day experiment we just had) then we may proceed to stage 3 by July is my guess.
dautremont

Stage 2 for California is not projected to happen until July/ August according to the state guidance website:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Update-on-California-Pandemic-Roadmap.pdf

Stage 3 will likely be after that, who knows how long.  Stage 3 will include modified stay at home orders, masks, social distancing, business modifications, etc.  Stage 1 to Stage 2 will only transition once there is contact tracing capacity statewide.  
Since social distancing adaptations at the individual pools will be difficult or impossible, it would be most likely for them to reopen only in stage 4, when "therapeutics" are widely available.  
Of course, we may need to re close much of the state if the virus cases and / or deaths begin to increase as we go forward.  The near future is hard to predict how things will go. 
Sam D.

Death Valley National Park will NOT reopen until CA enters Stage 3, whatever it means,"The park will remain closed to all use until after California enters Stage 3"

I came to the realization that the best case scenario when I can visit the springs is probably during the 4th of July when the temps are 120F and higher.
DVExile

They mentioned Saline Valley would definitely be closed most likely because the person asked them specifically about it and for specific dates in the near term, not because NPS are treating it any differently than the rest of the back country.  Remove tinfoil hat, apply common sense...
mlmorrison

Saline Valley is not closed per se. I was in there on 12-13 May doing bat research in mines on east slopes of Inyo's from just south of Willow Creek to the area of the old salt tram. I was on BLM land for the work but traveled the main road. No signs leaving Big Pine (other than noting DVNP closed) or when you cross into the park coming from the north; and saw not a person for 2 days (but a few tire tracks). Did not go to springs. Of course not many want to go to Saline now anyway (was 105 F)! But if you do just camp to west of main road on BLM...not that I think any Park Rangers plan to come out there...
Salt Peter

Sounds like a farce. "this will definitely not include Saline Valley"
So just that one piece of the back country won't be opened?

Very selective. Not that I want to visit the springs in the summer, although I would go to help fix the valves, but to say that the entirety of Saline Valley will still be off limits once other areas are opened again is a joke. Doesn't Lee still need those batteries? There's always the Inyo side of SVR. [thumb]
Sam D.

My neighbor inquired the Park about this week, I think. Here's the response:

Good afternoon-

Thank you for reaching out with your questions!

As of today the entire park is still closed. We expect to begin a phased reopening this month, but that will begin with parts of the front country only, and gradually, on an unspecified timeline, the back country will reopen as well. If we are open in time for your planned visit, this will definitely not include Saline Valley. Once finalized, the specific details of reopening will be published on our social media platforms, on our website and via a press release.
ford

Any news on opening the springs again?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution