Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
winks

Lysdexic, you had me laughing even before I saw the "<sarcasm/>".
I am strictly an amateur in almost everything. But I do know how to drink beer. Except for next morning part. I am still working on that.
Lysdexic

Yes - I am always anxious to learn at the feet of a master

<sarcasm/>
Salt Peter

I know we will all be anxious to hear your report and see your photos.
winks

No, I will not be burning anything that I did not haul in. Unlike some others.
Salt Peter

Just don't burn anything down out there. That would be very bad!!!
winks

I am not even trying to make it to the springs. Is the south end of the lakebed accessible? I want to do a photo survey of the tramway remnants. And camp. And drink beer. Maybe lots of beer.
Salt Peter

Yes the current pics are quite bad. I'd like to know more about the specific location and more information about the trip in/out. Obviously Sam got somewhere.

paul belanger

see Sam's pictures woah
winks

A few years ago I went in via the South Pass in a 1984 Ford Ranger 4x4 with BALD Firestones. It was winter and FWD was only needed a couple times on the frozen mud. Slippery! I just bought a new F-250 4x4 long bed and an ATC pop-up camper. Stock little wheels and tires. From the horror stories I have been seeing in the road conditions threads, I am not sure I even want to try again this year.
Has anyone done South Pass in the past month or so?
paul belanger

James, that WAS me.  I believe I was the first to come through after that washout.  I walked about 100 yards past the first boulder field and made an easy decision to turn around.

The trailer is only 12 feet long and has okay clearance.  It has no plumbing of any kind that could rattle loose and/or break.  In the past, as long as the truck in 4 low can crawl over whatever the obstacle is, the trailer just pulls along.  I haven't ripped the axle off the leaf springs yet, anyway.  But I am going slow, slow, slow.

Unfortunately, it looks like financial issues may derail my Labor Day plans.  But, in my neighborhood, the upcoming Jewish high holidays are cause for public schools to close, so might get a chance a week or two into the month.  We went last year during the second week of September.  (After getting turned around on South Pass, we went around to the north and had no trouble at all at that time.)  The weather on that mid-September trip last year was as nice as any trip, ever.  Not too hot in the day, nice 'n' cool at night, zero w_nd.
James Sel

Paul the truck will make it no problem; I'm trusting that you are experience at driving desert roads and only trust your own judgment behind the wheel. Knowing when to turn around is priceless. If I remember right you turned around at the first good washout when the road got hit last year. Was that you? Well the road is not that bad any more but, I forgot you are bring a trailer if it is too long, heavy or low. I think the longer the trailer the more clearance you will need and is bottoming out OK or not for the trailer. The trailer you have the most problems with bottoming out at the creek crossings two have a pretty good dips. The spot where the water has been tearing up the road by the fenced area will also challenge a trailer in tow. I hope this helped.

You'll have to figure the ford stuff out with out me cause I'm in a Toyota with over 325,ooo miles on it. ......however if it's not a Toyota its not a real truck

When in doubt stay out. 
minner

Paul  I have seen every type of vehicle driven to the springs! The condition of the road and the drivers experience are going to be the deciding factors to whether  you vehicle makes it without any damage.
  With the road conditions as they are now, since the floods, your vehicle with an experienced driver may not have any problems. Four wheel drive would probably be a bonus. Would only be needed  once or twice.

Many years ago I pulled a trailer in behind my jeep. My speed  tore the thing apart and I did drag the thing home!

Good Luck
paul belanger

James, are you then saying my stock 4x4 Ford Ranger/Explorer with upgrade tires really is good enough after all?  I had been warned "not to try it" or that I would "shred" my rig.  There was also someone who said "just never try the Saline Road in a Ford."  I think they thought I should be driving a Japanese truck.  Also I have been told, I believe accurately, "never, ever, ever, ever try Saline Road with any Firestone tires." 

And I am hauling a small travel trailer?  I was told flat out "you are a liar" when I told a knowledgeable individual (who was looking at my trailer at the springs) that I had brought it in there more than a dozen times.  They were insinuating that the road would surely cause my trailer to disintegrate.  Like spontaneous trailer combustion.  Poof, it's gone!

High clearance? 

James Sel

lol Paul.

I think a 2wd minitruck is high clearance that's where I set my standard of measure.  With oversize A/T tires they will go many places and over plenty of obstacles.
paul belanger

A Ferrari would be "low clearance"....a rig like in the Silver Bob videos would be "high clearance"....

Does that clarify it for you? 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution