Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Thufir

Thanks for everyone who responded. Sounds like it's worth a trip again.

If anyone is planning a trip from the Las Vegas area, please drop me a note.

My Saab is not the car to make the trip, but I'll happily share expenses with

someone who has something more sturdy. And happy to bring along supplies

for the springs...

Cade

Stayed out for there for 25 days last year. Not one actual ranger that I saw but people say they come through sometimes. I am still a Saline Valley rookie, but I can say its one of the best places on earth!

NPS has taken over the management, but has been relatively hands off.  Still naked hippies in all the pools and some not hippies as well.  It's still dirt camping with a few brave souls who bring in some nicer rigs to 'camp' in.  Wash boards are worse than ever.  But it's still a wonderful place to go and get away.  Just not for everyone I would guess.  Hiking is probably still exactly what you remember from the springs.  There's lots of places out by the road to hike up.  Lizard Lee is the only 'ranger' out there most of the time. 

James Sel
Basically the springs are alive and doing well. still clothing optional. still clean and a friendly environment. 
Thufir

Hi All,

New member. I've been to Saline valley three times so far. The first time was about 15 years ago with a friend and we had a great time. Stayed 3 days around thanksgiving and decided it was one of my favourite places in the world. The second time a few years later wasn't so fabulous -- I came on my own and for whatever reason felt I was under surveillance. The Kamp Kommandant was presumably confusing me with someone else... The third was great for me; a trial for my girlfriend, now, apparently, my wife -- too hot, too many dogs, too far away, too washboardy, too many dangerous-looking naked hippies with gasoline cans -- that she never misses an opportunity to denounce it to our friends as "my vacation from hell".

Still, I'm made of sterner stuff, but I thought until I accidentally came across this forum that Saline Valley had simply gone the way of VHS tapes and MySpace -- what with it now being managed by the NPS rather than the BLM. I had visions of the place infested with girl scouts who would screech and point at the mere hint of someone else's bare bottom. Organized fireside talks. Supervised nature walks with fines for those who deviate from the marked paths. A junior Yosemite with washboard roads and surly sunburned rangers wishing they'd been posted anywhere but Saline Valley. 

Not so, eh? So have there been any noticeable changes in the last 10 years? Are there some interesting day hikes one can take from the campground? Road still as bad as ever?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution