Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Major Tom

Florida .... pupfish were introduced into Saline Valley from Death Valley too. That is how the fence came to be around the Upper Warm Springs. Turtle Jim used to claim it was to keep the pupfish from escaping. They must have escaped anyway. There used to be a guzzler outside the fence that would allow wildlife to get a drink from the fenced spring, but that has fallen into disuse and neglect since the Park Service came along.

Major Tom

Not sure much could be written about it SalineOldTimer. How interesting can arrowweed be? There was the time 5th Wheel Kenny skewered his ankle on some that had been trimmed close to the ground. We stitched him up in camp because he didnt want to go to town. Needed to be irrigated later anyway. They make great marshmallow sticks!W
SalineOldTimer

Tom, it looks like arrowweed deserves a paragraph in your excellent book.
florida

So, introduced from Death Valley itself? It is the plant that makes up the Devils Cornfield.
Major Tom

I have it on good authority from yesteryear that the arrowweed in the camp was introduced. The majority of it has been removed in recent years.

florida

Arrowweed is Native.
DVExile

Umm... when did arrowweed become not native? You do understand why it is called *arrow* weed?
Sam D.

I can only speculate he was afraid of a large fire spreading in the wind?
johnc

New Years 2005 or 2006. Got a ton of arrowweed stacked and ready to go. Ranger  shows up around sunset and bans it. This is the same type of vegetation cleared from around the sunrise pool. The ranger further says he is going to rope the pile and drag it down the road until it is dispersed.  When told he was in fact going to be spreading non- native vegetation by doing so, he lets us burn the pile little by little in the fire ring. 

florida

Also curious. I’ve never heard of anyone getting in trouble for having a fire. Now if you cut down native trees to do it there would be an issue. The palm fronds get trimmed and burned because they aren’t native.
speakeasy

johnc, when / how did you get in trouble for burning trimmed vegetation at the burn site? I am curious.
johnc

Funny,
Was once at the springs when a clearance operation was going on for the vegetation around the sunrise pool by a visiting host. Many wheelbarrow loads were transported to the open area across the road from the outhouses, and torched. So this was legal, yet if we took it upon ourselves to do the same on new years, it is not?
hbmurphy

But just know that Timbo has more than an ample supply for these cold days and nights. 😉
26992654_10215643349704679_1724394849966136801_n.jpg 

Unregistered2016

I guess we're left with pooping in the firepits, letting the poop dry and then burning it. What do you think, Mark?
Jukebox Mark

Disregard previous post. Partied with Timbo and Major Tom for New Years. Timbo says with this cold snap, he's been completely cleaned out of firewood for now.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.