Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Myion

also, for tents, have been tenting it for years... killed a few... but using the car as a windbreak is good, and the big "W" is when ever it wants to be, but usually when there are fronts moving around. sorry, was just going to mention that if your using the car as a windbreak you can also tie your tent off to your car. [wink]
Salt Peter

http://www.lvastronomy.com/lvas-calendar

Scroll to the month of October.
Neotoma

Salt Peter, I'm interested in attending this.  Seems I can't PM you but have some questions.  Could you PM me?  Thanks.
Salt Peter

Just an FYI, the weekend of oct 12th there is a star party at furnace creek put on by the las vegas astronomical society. Good times!
Ed_B

I like a three man Sierra Designs Backpacking tent and had no trouble even during a windstorm that got so bad that you could not see any mountains from the Middle Springs.  As noted by Lysdexic, use vehicle as a wind break and both stake and tether the tent down.  You should have no trouble.
Lysdexic

Bring a small tent and park your vehicle so as to break the wind. You'll be fine. I've always used tents there and while the wind can be aggressive you shouldn't have a problem this time of year.
oregonjohn

The desert can be windy at any time of the year. Spring is the season with the most "W" and fall is the least, generally. 
avantgarde999

Oh thanks everyone!  I think we can all agree that paying extra expenses for the RIGHT equipment plan is far better than going with the dumb = disaster + panic = even MORE $$$ plan!!  Plus, I imagine Farabee's leases those Jeeps knowing full well the road conditions it shall be traversing.  I'd be a little anxious taking a basic rental out there.

Much, much more concerned with driving conditions leading to camp than conditions in the camp itself.  I'm a girl that can "guy it out" better than a lot of guys ;-) I'm cool with wind, but I definitely don't like breaking vehicles and being stranded!!

One question about the wind...is it windy ALL THE TIME??  Is there a certain time of year that's more windy than others?

Salt Peter

I see people in tents in Saline all the time. As long as you guy it out well it should be good to go. I have a flippac which is essentially a tent and it handles it well. Lots of wind noise but I get over it.
n8450s

I have driven Farabee jeeps into Saline twice. Once via Steele Pass and once Lippencot.  The Jeeps are in good shape, pretty new, sport 32" BFG Mud Terrain tires and have a 2 inch lift. Much, much better than you will find at any regular rental place.  Much much more expensive too but the tires alone are worth it.  They do rent a 4 dor version that has much more room than the Wrangler but neither are roomy....
Driver

ag999, to answer your question, Farabees Jeeps have a small lift and good off-road tires, unlike anything you'll probably find to rent elsewhere.  While Farabees is expensive as you know, I have friends who have had good experiences with his 4-doors on Echo Canyon through drives, Eureka - Saline via Steel Pass, Lippincott road and certainly Saline Valley and other easier park roads.
speakeasy

Lots of folks camp inside their vehicles to avoid winds,dust, insects etc.
I lost 2 tents to the wind so tents are not the option. Farabee's Jeeps are Wranglers with either open tops or soft tops and they are too small for even a short person to setup a mattress. S. Pass thread has some recent road reports and recommendations of must have's if you take S. Pass.
avantgarde999

So I understand the road conditions vary, and I wonder about those Jeeps that they rent to you at Farabee's...reliable for the Saline Valley Rd?  Yes?  No?  Are they a rip-off if I can do just as well in a regular rented SUV/heavy-duty, truck-type vehicle?  I promise to go real, real slow.  I live in LA, but I COMPLETELY get that this IS NOT THE 405 FREEWAY. AT. ALL.  And I grew up a little bit off-roadsie and thru lots of snow, so I know how to not be a stupid, irresponsible driver.  Plus, this is vacation, why would I need to hurry? 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!