Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
paul belanger

This "Easter Weekend" thread has mutated into something much more substantial.

Red Jeep?  Are you in any way insinuating that I should allow this possibility, which I personally consider to be extremely remote, to in any way shape or form effect the way I raise my children? 

SP.  I agree that it all depends on how you have raised your kids.  My family and I went to Burning Man in 2009.  It would probably be wrong, I don't know, to take your kids to Saline if they had been raised without any nudity at all.  I have a jacuzzi in my back yard and we soak naked all the time.  My kids have been raised with it.

As for informing people at Saline of inappropriate behavior at Saline.  Be direct.  Be straightforward.  Respectful of others, but firm.

Salt Peter

Very good discussion here.

My father who had a pool and jacuzzi was often naked in the pool area. Heck I have pictures as a baby being naked in the pool. I think it was when I was a teenager when I started feeling weird about it. Not sure why really. I know I didn't really want to see my step mother in the buff.

I think taking kids to Saline is ok to do but it rests on the parents how they raise their children. It is all dependent on ones views and beliefs. My girlfriends mom who went on this trip was dumbfounded with all the naked people. We told her all about how things go in Saline. When she mentioned her apprehensiveness I told her about the differences between beliefs of the majority of those of us in the US and quite a lot of European countries. Doubt it caused her to give much thought to these differences. Also my girlfriends nephews were supposed to join us on this trip as it was their spring break. Their parents would be bringing them. Well her brother in law had a death on his side of the family and the funeral was Wednesday. They couldn't all come. We offered to take the boys but they were hesitant not being there with naked people out and about. Purely their choice. I probably would have felt the same when my daughter was their age.

I've gotta ask the question. How do you go about asking people to refrain from unwanted behavior at the springs? Feeding wildlife, being noisy/disruptive, littering, dogs off leash, atvs, etc. On two occasions I have asked people to turn their music down. Both times I felt I was polite and the first time the couple had no idea their music was coming up and over the mound near the restroom at Palm Spring. They had no problem lowering the volume and we had no further issues. This past trip when I asked the individual also obliged but later that night after a lot of alcohol/pot he and his friend weren't as agreeable. This is a real pet peeve of mine. I don't travel that far of a distance to blast music. We keep it very quiet if we do have it on. I find this so rude and disrespectful of others. There are so many other places, even some in Owens with hot springs, where people can go and party. These people spoil the tranquility of Saline Valley Warm Springs.
ltlredjeep

In this day and age anyone who takes their children to the Springs are putting themselves at some risk.  All that needs to happen is a child to tell another child at school that they were in the desert with naked people running around.  That gets back to a teacher (who is offended by such behavior) and required by law to report anything they might deem as inappropriate behavior to Child Protective Services.   The parents and children (after getting them back and going thru therapy) are then likely to spend the next 4 or 5 years under the watchful eye CPS.  When it comes to children the "State" is their overall protector and when actuations are made, "guilty until proven innocent" seems to be the rule of thumb.  Please, don't think "this can't happen", this is something that can ruin a parents life.
paul belanger

HD War, 

Problem is with the parents.  Soaking pools are NOT for "kids being kids."  Parents who cannot teach their kids to respect other's peace and quiet in the pools should keep their kids out of the Saline Valley entirely.  In the very least, they could have kept the disruptions to one pool only, although I would argue kids should disrupt none of the pools.  Ever.

And, My Lord, anyone, any age, soaking with dirty clothes, dirty toys, band-aids coming off, yeeech!!  That behavior should be called out loud and clear, on the spot....respectfully, if possible.....or otherwise.  Whatever gets the message across clearly. 

On your personal discomfort with kids in these pools, I respect your opinion on this, agree to give everyone their own outlook.  If the kids WERE quiet and respectful, your choice to leave would be your own.  While it does give me some pause for thought that you feel that way, I would still assert that my children have a right to soak, if well behaved.

And I respect your decision to avoid spring break in the future.  That is the time when those of us who must plan vacations around school schedules are very likely to show up at the springs with kids.

Nice to hear honest opinions about this stuff.  Good topic for me and thanks for your thoughts.   
Hi Desert Warrior

Being naked around kids is a personal thing with me, I don't feel confortable about it and I will leave the pool when kids are arriving naked or not.  As Salt Peter said the kids were O.K. just noisy as playing kids are.  It was the Parents I had the beef with.  They saw soakers at the wizard pool and didn't have to take their kids to that pool when people were in it.  I like to be there for some solitude and enjoyment, so a little consideration can go a long way for everyone.
Lessons learned and won't be repeated next time.  Main reason I go to the Springs Monday to Friday, less kids and people, now I know to stay away from the spring break season.
paul belanger

I was at Saline for Easter weekend with my wife and 2 kids.  They are 8 and 10 now.  I couldn't agree more with the above comments.  If your kids don't know how to act, then they shouldn't be there.  We have brought our children to Saline 2-3 times a year since they were 6 months old and I believe I can say that they are extremely well behaved.  (Their Dad?  Maybe not so much.) 

Swimming in the Koi Pond?  My kids saw that and told the other kid the water was "way too filthy" to swim in.  My son explained to the kid that all the kitchen sink water and soaking water ends up there.  Whoever put the "Children's Play Tub" in in the middle of the Koi area was genius.  (Must have been Lee?)  My kids know they can go there and be kids, splash a little if no one is around.  They also know when they enter a soaking pool that adults are in they are not to splash or make too much noise.

As for "I don't want to be naked around children", I don't know what to say to that.  I'd say that is your own problem.  My kids have been around naked people of all ages since they were born, they know when it's apropos to go naked and when not.  I don't know why someone would feel bad about being naked around kids, at least in the context of the Saline Valley soaking pools.

And, for the most part, we do stay down at the lower springs.  But I would feel no hesitation to take a trip up the Volcano and Wizard pools for an afternoon, or even longer.

I think we all agree that kids have every right to be in the Saline Valley, as long as their parents teach and supervise them.

Finally, for the record, I didn't hesitate to discipline someone else's kids down on the lawn for throwing a football around people who were lounging on the lawn. 

PS  Was the weather nice that weekend or what?!?!?!?  PERFECT. 

Salt Peter

It seemed without a camp host people were more out of control vs when a camp host is present. Just my observation with George and Ria gone at Palm Spring.
James Sel

+1 more
Sam D.

+1
Lysdexic

Take your kids to Disneyland. I promise not to bother them there.
Leave your dogs at home. They won't bother me there.

If you bring them to the Springs and don't want me to discipline them, keep them under control.

Just my $.02
Salt Peter

I was there at the same time. I helped clean the Wizard Pool on Wednesday and learned how to do it properly. In the past I only did the vacuum but now I'm all the wiser.

I agree there was a bit of lack of parenting but overall the kids were well mannered. Some adults on the other hand decided to be loud and obnoxious (even showed their kids how to grow up to be an ass). I know there are some people who go out to the springs to carry on but I go for solitude and tranquility. To rest the mind. Loud music and conversations in the evening to late night are disrespectful of others. Everyone else is sleeping and/or quiet. I know now to avoid busy times even the Easter holiday. I met more good people than bad on this trip but the rotten apples left a sour taste.

Even with that said when we got home and unpacked we wished we had stayed an extra day as originally planned. When you get home you miss Saline even more.
Hi Desert Warrior

I came to the springs on Monday the day after Easter.  The first thing I saw at lower springs was pre-teens playing in the KOI fish pool, splashing water.  So much for parent control.  A lot of campers and families with children were at the lower springs.  Went on to the middle springs and saw kids playing in the volcano pool and more kids in the other pool.  It wasn't til dinner time that the kids left both pools that I got a chance to soak with other adults. For Tuesday to Thursday the kids and their parents took control of the volcano pool.  During those days the kids moved back and forth from pool to pool.  Wednesday, I was in the Wizard pool and four kids about 8 or 9 started walking toward me.  About half way the father called them back to the volcano pool.  Then about 20 minutes later, the same father with the four kids came to where I was soaking.  About half way, I got out of the pool as I do not like to be nude around children.  They got into the pool with their cloths on and the kids played with their toys for about a half hour.  A couple of adults came over and felt like I did and waited with me until the father took them back to the volcano pool where the other kids were playing.  When the three of us entered the pool, lots of small foam objects were floating in the water with a bandaid and the water was cloudy.  We ended up draining and cleaning the pool before soaking.
What I am trying to say, it would be nice if families, at the middle springs, would pick a pool to play in and let the other one be for adults only.  Its called consideration for others.  Also, three couples in their fourties went into the wizard pool with their cloths on.  Those that were naked got out.  I know the pools are open for everyone, but a little considerstion to others can go a long way.
The lesson I learned, don't go to the springs during Easter weekend and spring break.  Of the six years I have been going to the springs this was the first time it wasn't a great event.  As I left Thursday afternoon, instead of Friday as planned, I passed the lower springs and I saw kids playing in the fish pond, again.  I am not anti-kids.  I have two of my own.  Just that I have felt that the lower springs were for families and the middle springs were for couples and singles that like quiet surroundings with the exception of the low flying planes. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!